Question What car seat for my 5 year old for my MIL's car? Or booster?

karisaf

A little background - my son, who turns 5 next week and is 38lbs and 42in tall, currently rides in a Britax Frontier (in my car) and a Graco Nautilus (in my husband's car). My inlaws have a 2002 Toyota 4Runner (no LATCH) and they have a Britax Regent that used to be installed in their car (done by a tech, as I could not get it tight enough). They recently took their car in to be serviced and the car seat was taken out of the car. Now, my son is going to spend the night at their house in a couple of days and there is no time to get the Regent installed. So, I guess I need to know the following:

1. How hard is the Nautilus to install with a seat belt? (I've only installed it using LATCH, which is super easy) And would it install well in the 02 4Runner?

2. If they wanted to buy a high-back booster that could easily be taken in and out of their car, what would you recommend? I'm not comfortable with my son riding in a booster all the time but occasionally would be fine I guess. They really don't want to leave a carseat installed in their car all the time and I am thinking this might be an easy option.

Thanks for any advice! :)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you feel he would sit properly in a booster it's an option. Just make sure that the booster goes down below 40 pounds.

The Nautilus is probably easier with the seatbelt than with LATCH. Super easy.

Wendy

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
Wow! I could have written this post. My son is newly five, 43.5" tall, and 38 lbs. He rides in a Frontier in my car and a Nautilus in my husband's. Both seats are installed with a seat belt.

To me it is easy to install the Nautilus with a seat belt. I just have to get in it and rock the seat from side to side while pulling on the seat belt webbing. I have installed it in many cars that way. No issues other than I really don't like the seat, but none with installation.

I wouldn't put him in a booster yet. I am a stickler for a child needs to be at least 40 lbs before being in one. Sorry.

That being said, my guy has been in one twice. Once was when a friend picked me up from Urgent Care and I couldn't see to install a seat (bad migraine) and the other was a short distance to a park. He did well, but we have been talking about booster training. Once mine hits 40 lbs I am going to buy a booster for him to use as a spare seat. Our current spare seat only harnesses to 40 lbs and I don't want to buy another Frontier for a seat used 1-2 times per month.

So, I guess what I am saying is are you comfortable with him in a booster? Does he know how to ride in one? How often will he be in it?

Personally, I think I'd just let them borrow the Nautilus. Good luck!

karisaf

Thank you both for your replies :) He has never been in a booster seat before and if the Nautilus is super easy to install with the seat belt then I think that is the best option as I'd really prefer to keep him in a harness. We'll take the Nautilus out of my husband's car and use it this time (and if it works out well then she will just buy one so we don't have to do that every time).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC