Boosters with LATCH (sort of a discussion, sort of a question)

a_js

So, I'm reading up about boosters. I had a Frontier briefly, but I couldn't get past hating it in harness or booster mode. I tried, really, but we're back to the Nautilus in harness mode, for now; I don't like the belt fit of the Nautilus in booster mode in our car. But booster time is coming soon and the question of the day is.. to LATCH or not to LATCH. More accurately -- to use lower anchors or not to use them.

This is what I have learned so far: LATCH is nice primarily because you don't have to buckle the booster in when the seat isn't in use. It may help in side impact collisions. It helps with "tippy booster" issues. It means the seat doesn't move around when the child is climbing into it.

However, I am also reading some posts that mention a down side to LATCH use, in that the booster is supposed to move with the child during a crash and using the lower anchors could prevent it from doing that.

Any thoughts? Is there any actual data one way or the other? What do you personally think/use?

ADS

Maedze

There was some evidence in the Transport Canada testing that rigid LATCH might have a deleterious effect on abdominal load in a front-end crash.

Not sure whether that will also hold true with webbing (like on the Nauti and Monterey).

If I use LATCH with the Nautilus, I'll probably not do it quite as tightly as I would with a harnessed seat.

Evolily

I need more info on SIP and rigid vs flexible latch before making up my mind on latching vs not latching. On the Transport Canada tests they found increased abdominal load with the clek rigid latch backless boosters. It makes sense to me, sort of, that if the booster moves with the child it takes more of the impact. Based on that, I would not latch a backless booster. And I probably wouldn't latch a high back booster unless I can find out more about what the SIP is, and if the benefit of that outweighs the increased abdominal load.

Maedze

Oh great, so you're saying the brand new Olli I just got and :love: is unsafe??:confused:

Not at all, just that it had higher abdominal loads on the TC testing. I don't believe those numbers translated to dummy injury, either.

We also have evidence showing that rigid LATCH is safER in a side impact crash. Considering side impacts are more deadly it may come out in the wash.

NSmom

I have been wondering about this too. DD is getting close to outgrowing the harness in her Frontier and I plan to use it as a booster. I am not comfortable using it without LATCH because its heavy. I have an SG clip ordered for it, would that help to prevent any increased adominal load that might be caused by the use of LATCH?

tracee877

Not at all, just that it had higher abdominal loads on the TC testing. I don't believe those numbers translated to dummy injury, either.

We also have evidence showing that rigid LATCH is safER in a side impact crash. Considering side impacts are more deadly it may come out in the wash.

Oh good. Thanks! I love the Olli because of the LATCH. Before, her seat would slide around and cover the buckle so she couldn't buckle without scooting it over, or DS1 would fold down the middle seat only to have her seat get in the way. But now it stays put so no more whining or issues.:D

Maedze

Keep in mind that the webbing on the Frontier/Nautilus/Monterey can *stretch* in a way that rigid LATCH can not.

Evolily

I can see how this could be true with a HBB, but I am struggling with trying to see how this could be true with a LBB like the Olli :confused: . With a HBB it would help prevent the childs head from rotating towards the point of impact- get that. With a LBB, though, how could it prevent that? Aren't most of the rigid ISOFIX boosters in Europe HBB?

Of course, this is (mostly) theoretical.

Maedze

Nik, the same thought has occurred to me, although I also wonder if the presence of LATCH might force the seatbelt to stay 'more' in position in a side impact, even when the dummy is thrust violently to the side, than otherwise.

Pixels

I know we have evidence that rigid LATCH provides additional SIP for harnessed seats. Do we have any evidence for boosters?

We do have a study that shows that backless boosters provide zero SIP compared to seatbelt only.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC