am I crazy to consider a booster??

Austins-mama

Ok we are flying to London in May and visiting family for a month.

DS is 3 and half - he turns 4 June 16th while we are there. He currently weighs approx 41lbs, has approx 16.5" torso and is 43" tall. I haven't measured/weighed him in a little while so he might be a little bigger but you get the idea. We have a Regent, and a Frontier for him at home.

I had originally planned on having my dad buy a seat over there for us to use and have it in his car when he picks us up from the airport. I very much doubt I would be allowed to have him in a seat on an internation flight - they didn't like it last year and he's even bigger now. but I can't find any seats that will accomdate him.

Do you think its crazy to be considering a booster seat? I really don't want to have too carry a big seat with me as I will be traveling alone. Plus I don't think most of the cars we will be in have top tethers so I wouldn't be able to use the regent anyway. We also have a Safeguard GO but with out a top tether its no good. I thought about the vests but again no top tethers.

We would only be in the car for short journeys like too and from the airport - 15 minutes. Most of the time we would use the underground in London and when we travel up north we will take the train.

I know that the turbo booster fits him properly and I think he can sit properly for short periods of time, although I doubt he could do it for any length of time.

what would you do? I don't mind buying a new seat if that what I have to do, and I guess if I really need too I can take one of the Britaxs I'm justing trying to figure out the easiest thing to do. I hate putting convience above safety but I just don't see how I can practically take the britax. especially as we have a lay over. and taking it on the train - with him, and bags and having to change trains on my own. gah.... this was so much easier when he was smaller.

ADS

Maedze

He'll be too young to booster train before you leave. I would not consider a booster as a viable option.

Harnessed seats over 40 lbs (18 kg) in the UK are hard to come by. In your shoes I would buy and bring a Ride Safer Travel Vest, which could easily be carried on board in a carry-on bag.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you have a lap and shoulder belt you don't need a tether for the vest. I'd do that first, as it's a wearable five point harness. I put ours in the outside pocket of my suitcase on our trip last week. Easy peasy.

Otherwise I wouldn't get a booster. Head injuries are greater for kids under five in boosters, regardless of fit. The Frontier is FAA approved with the harness. What airline are you flying? BA has lifted the age restriction on seats. Or just get tickets on an American carrier.

Wendy

Austins-mama

I guess the vest it is then. i always thought they had to have a top tether. I'm pretty sure every car will have a lap and shoulder belt so he may have to be outboard but thats better than a booster. I'll try make my OCD mind think about SIP.

I wonder why the UK doesn't have any higher weight seats. I couldn't even find any on britax's website. I could find places that sold the multi-tech though. hmmm now there is another idea LOL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC