Question Evenflo Embrace

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I was riding with SIL and BIL last night to meet dh. SIL had DN in his Embrace. I noticed that the handle was up... I thought I had heard that they shatter in wrecks and are supposed to travel w/the handle down. Of course we have a SR and dd's handle was up in the approved position so I didn't want to say anything atm since I wasn't sure.

Of course, how did I realize it was up? She had to ask me to move my seat up to put the handle down while she was getting him out to nurse, yes, while we were moving and her police officer dh was driving. I know I can't stop that stupidity, but if what I heard is correct, I will take it to MIL and it may make a diffrerence and increase his safety while properly restrained. The DOM is 03/09... I looked b/c she was notorious for expired seats when ds was needing to ride w/ her and she wanted me to let her use her seats.

ADS

Maedze

The Embrace handle must be down and have 1.5" of clearance from the seat in front of it.

You can choose to inform the driver that if they so wantonly endanger the life of their child AND YOU by having an unrestrained projectile in the vehicle, to stop and let you out immediately. I would also threaten to report him to his supervising officer. That's remarkably disgusting.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Is it illegal in Alabama? Or whatever state you were in? It only became illegal in NC in 2007 I think. You could remove a baby to "meet their needs." Stupid, huh? But there may be nothing illegal about it, and so reporting him may do nothing. If it was illegal, then definitely mention it to someone. Why an officer who has no doubt been to collisions would think it's ok is beyond me, but check your laws.

Definitely talk to your MIL about the handle and the removing, but I wouldn't expect much. Hopefully their stupidity won't be put to the ultimate test.

Wendy

jess71903

Ambassador
Yep, the handle has to be down on the Embrace, and have 1.5" clearance behind it. :thumbsdown: to them for taking the baby out while the car was moving!

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Yep, the handle has to be down on the Embrace, and have 1.5" clearance behind it. :thumbsdown: to them for taking the baby out while the car was moving!

Do you know anything about what the pp mentioned regarding the laws? I am not sure and my go-to for that is BIL... We know his thoughts, obviously.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Actually, that's for AL and she is currently in AR, and I don't know if we have an exemption or not. I hope not! I'm off to see if I can find anything out.

You know, I didn't click the link until just now when I went to forward to MIL :eek: ... Thanks Jess!

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
BTW, I don't like how the AL law has "or"..... "one year old or 20 lbs" and "5 years old or 40 lbs".... Yikes... No wonder my aunt said it wasn't illegal to ff my cousins 11 mo, she weighed 22lbs. :thumbsdown: She did get a Boulevard at my suggestion so she was protected by the Britax bubble, right? :whistle: :thumbsdown:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC