RF legs or bum falling asleep problem ?

ceruti82

DD is 2, stats in siggy are accurate within the past few months. She is WAY inside the limits of RF, so its not that she's too big.. but here's the problem.

She's been in her new RN XTSL for about 2 wks, and we just took our first long trip, only about 2 hrs (not real long, but longer than a trip to Target!)

She fell asleep within a half hour, then at the end of the trip she woke up crying, saying owww. i asked her what hurt, and she said "my boo boo" pointing to her hamstring area.. not sure if it was her bum, or her legs that she was trying to show me as she was still in the carseat. SAME thing happened on return trip home :( i was afraid maybe it would be her neck/back hurting, but she pointed to her leg again..

What do you think is causing this?

We have a CALI to MASS trip coming up shortly, and i CANT have her hurting for 45 hours! HELP!
she did do a cross country trip in the MA last year with no problems.. i really want to use the RN, but cant have her in pain the whole time.. help!

i have it as upright as i can get it in my truck (05 tacoma, 4 REAL doors) less than 45 degrees, but not at 30, maybe about 35?

suggestions/thoughts GREATLY appreciated!!

ADS

aja

my dd said our bnew radian hurts her butt, too. she hasn't complained about that in other seats that i remember (myride, como, blvd). she just rode in it one time but it was a long trip (over an hour).

marcymc

My dd is 3y4m and RF in a True fit. She complains that her legs fall asleep pretty often (maybe once a week.) I thought kids legs weren't supposed to fall asleep RF since they're better supported than FF :confused:
I make sure she scoots her bottom all the way back, which seems to help a little. I hope you find a solution before your long trip.

ceruti82

My dd is 3y4m and RF in a True fit. She complains that her legs fall asleep pretty often (maybe once a week.) I thought kids legs weren't supposed to fall asleep RF since they're better supported than FF :confused:
I make sure she scoots her bottom all the way back, which seems to help a little. I hope you find a solution before your long trip.

thats what i thought too, that legs fall asleep FF because of the overhang.. hmm.. she's in there pretty scooted back, but ill be sure to double check.
very frustrating thought when i just got this seat, and so many rave about it. and its so darn cute :)

Kat_Momof3

is she moving her legs during the ride, or leaving them in one position? cause I find that happens to me in the car if I don't wiggle my legs every few minutes... keep things moving and circulation going... I imagine the same would be true for a kid.

Ruthie has always been a wiggle worm and would move her legs... frogging, putting them straight, bending and straightening them, etc.... and it's probably why we could go through an 8hr trip (even when she was sleeping, the legs kept moving... still do, in her bed... she's a mover and shaker and the harness only kept the rest of her from moving in the car) without her complaining.

I would encourage her to move her legs to a different position, but also give her the option the other pp mentioned, of having a rolled towel or pillow under her legs.

And the Radian sits so nice and low that she may even be able to rest her feet on the vehicle seat if she frogs her legs.

ceruti82

is she moving her legs during the ride, or leaving them in one position? cause I find that happens to me in the car if I don't wiggle my legs every few minutes... keep things moving and circulation going... I imagine the same would be true for a kid.

Ruthie has always been a wiggle worm and would move her legs... frogging, putting them straight, bending and straightening them, etc.... and it's probably why we could go through an 8hr trip (even when she was sleeping, the legs kept moving... still do, in her bed... she's a mover and shaker and the harness only kept the rest of her from moving in the car) without her complaining.

I would encourage her to move her legs to a different position, but also give her the option the other pp mentioned, of having a rolled towel or pillow under her legs.

And the Radian sits so nice and low that she may even be able to rest her feet on the vehicle seat if she frogs her legs.

good thought~ its only been after a nap in that car that she has complained.. so maybe it was because she was sleeping and not moving at all! though for our road trip she'll be sleeping a bunch, so i'll just be sure to move her legs every so often,, so they dont fall asleep !
i can try a rolled towel as well.
She is still pretty little, so i dont think her legs actually touch the seat when she puts her legs over the sides. but i could have her put them in different positions.
thanks for the input :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC