Infant vs convertible?

mommyof3tx

I came across a thread on another forum where some preggos were talking about whether they were buying a convertible or infant seat and one of them said she read some stuff saying convertibles did the worst on crash tests so she was getting an infant seat and would never get a convertible after seeing that. Is that true? I thought it was the other way around that the convertibles generally did better rear facing?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Provided they fit the child and install well both are safe. She may be thinking of some old Consumer Reports testing (I think the new TC tests are more about forward facing). I think they rated the Marathon poorly rear facing? Not positive. But then again, CR showed the Evenflo Discovery flying off of the base (it's since been recalled).

Either way, she'll need a convertible at some point, unless she gets a really really big infant seat and uses it to the limits and has a small kid and can last to three years or so in it. Other than the Discovery, no recalls have been issued because of CR or TC crash testing, so I don't stress too much about them. I do stress about internal decapitation and being 500% less safe forward facing, so if she's going to have a 22 pound infant seat and then go forward facing she's doing her child a huge disservice. Possibly a fatal one.

Have her come here to talk about her concerns. They're rather unfounded.

Wendy

mommyof3tx

Ok I'll link her here, if I can since it's another forum some get upset about that. I "think" she said she was going for the Chicco keyfit 30 so atleast a high weight infant seat but still would need a convertible.

cookie123

My grandson outgrew the Chicco at 10 months. He's pretty average, I'd say, although I don't know his exact height/weight/torso height.

mommyof3tx

I guess all babies are different, my 2yr old would have just outgrown it over the past few months by height, he's still way under the weight limit lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC