Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Infant vs convertible?

I came across a thread on another forum where some preggos were talking about whether they were buying a convertible or infant seat and one of them said she read some stuff saying convertibles did the worst on crash tests so she was getting an infant seat and would never get a convertible after seeing that. Is that true? I thought it was the other way around that the convertibles generally did better rear facing?
    Landon 11, 65lbs in AMP
    Casen 9, 61lbs in AMP
    Hayden 6, 42lbs in Probooster
    Preston 3yrs, 28lbs, RF in MySize70

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Infant vs convertible?

Provided they fit the child and install well both are safe. She may be thinking of some old Consumer Reports testing (I think the new TC tests are more about forward facing). I think they rated the Marathon poorly rear facing? Not positive. But then again, CR showed the Evenflo Discovery flying off of the base (it's since been recalled).

Either way, she'll need a convertible at some point, unless she gets a really really big infant seat and uses it to the limits and has a small kid and can last to three years or so in it. Other than the Discovery, no recalls have been issued because of CR or TC crash testing, so I don't stress too much about them. I do stress about internal decapitation and being 500% less safe forward facing, so if she's going to have a 22 pound infant seat and then go forward facing she's doing her child a huge disservice. Possibly a fatal one.

Have her come here to talk about her concerns. They're rather unfounded.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crazy

Ok I'll link her here, if I can since it's another forum some get upset about that. I "think" she said she was going for the Chicco keyfit 30 so atleast a high weight infant seat but still would need a convertible.
    Landon 11, 65lbs in AMP
    Casen 9, 61lbs in AMP

My grandson outgrew the Chicco at 10 months. He's pretty average, I'd say, although I don't know his exact height/weight/torso height.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

Carseat Crazy

I guess all babies are different, my 2yr old would have just outgrown it over the past few months by height, he's still way under the weight limit lol
    Landon 11, 65lbs in AMP
    Casen 9, 61lbs in AMP