• RN 65 SL

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • RN 80 SL

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • RN XT SL

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • My kids only ride in Britax Bubbles

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • WTF do all those letters and numbers stand for?!

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Mama Jo

I'm wanting to buy another RN. I have an older RN65 and I've always known I liked it, even though it's only been a backup. But the last few days I've used it a ton. With all the snow we've gotten, and my van being worthless, I've been moving carseats for both of the kids between my Dad's Tahoe and my Mom's Blazer. I love how versatile the RN is... I really don't think any other seat compares. In my opinion, anyway. I can use it for either kid, and it's not too much of a "baby seat" for Liv, or too much of a "big kid" seat for Elias.

I've always planned on buying another. An SL, obviously, as many of you have, for the higher rf limit. Although chances are, I'll never really need it. My kids are taller than they are heavy, but since I'm going to need a higher shell seat anyway for Elias, I might as well just get the one with the higher rf limit.

So I'm wondering, just out of curiosity, of those of you who have RN's, which ones do you have and why? How do you feel about them? Are you happy with your decision or do you wish you would have gotten a different one? (Only comparing RN's.)

Also, you can answer the poll for as many as you own.

Since they came out, I've wanted an XT. But I'm starting to wonder if it really offers that much more protection to justify the cost difference. Even though the seat doesn't seem very deep, Elias looks perfectly contained in the 65. Honestly, I'd probably be fine with another 65 (SL). Liv's 6 years old and still not even 50 lbs. She'll outgrow it by height, like many, before hitting the 65 lb. mark. Plus, she's 6.

ADS

NannyMom

I had a RN65, and have a RN80 until it hits the mail. If I were to buy another, I'd buy an XTSL. I like the ability to use LATCH to the full weight limit (I have an 08 van), so I'd get an SL. After having so many seats and seeing the deep sides, I really prefer more around the head, so I'd get an XT. IMO, the more protection for the head, the better.

AtTheSouthDam

I have an 80 but traded my XT for it. I have discovered niether I nor my children really like headwings. I do love the 80 and I would like an SL thought I don't think I would need the 45# RF limit. I love it for the reasons you like your 65, it versitle and simple and I have had few issues with it. Too bad the Flora only comes on the XTSL :(

Cryssy Jane

I bought above's XT and traded her my 80. I have 2 xts at the moment and have had a 65, 80 and xt at one time. I like the head protection in the xts, however if I had a taller kiddo and was using it for FF I would probably use the 65 or 80 because since you can technically use the top slots below the shoulders as long as the ears are below the shell and with the XT you lose a little bit of that space because the wings don't go any higher.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have 3 65s and an 80. 2 65s in everyday use. Planning on purchasing 2 XTSLs (or possibly an 80SL and an XTSL-- depends on what cover I decide on besides the Flora :whistle: ) because of the 45 lbs. RF limit, ASAP.

Pixels

65 and XT, both non-SL versions. Both seats were obtained before the SLs were out. The 65 was purchased by grandparents as a gift, and I felt it was too much to ask for the XT. The XT was purchased by us.

Personally, I have no qualms about the 65 rear facing. Forward facing I do prefer the XT, but would allow my child to ride in the 65 with only the slightest of hesitation.

If I was buying two seats again today, I would probably get one SL in case a future child needs the weight limit or a future vehicle needs the SL (difficult for DH to install properly). For the second seat, cost and covers would determine whether it was SL or not. For the 65/80/XT question, if I was buying two simultaneously I would probably get a non-SL 65 and an 80SL for financial reasons. If I was able to space the purchases out and plan for them, I would try to get XTs.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have a RNXT and would love another Radian, but I think I just want a RN65 or RN80. I don't need the SL part.

JOII

I have an old RN65 (2/07). I also love the thing.

When the RNXT came out I knew I wanted one but I had more than enough car seats (according to my hubby :p) Once we had DD2 I really wanted 2 Radians for the three across but finances wouldnt allow it. Once the SLs were out I jumped on the sales for the XT. I have no need for the SL as my kids are light and more so cause I dont use latch.

I love the XT as much as the 65 but really the plain old 65 is ok with me too. I am hoping to snag up one more XT (or 65) before they disappear so I can have 3 RNs across once the baby is in a convertible.

amylynne01

I have a 65 (3/08), and I love it FFing, not so much RFing. It is nearly impossible to get it installed in hubby's car, and it takes up a lot of room in my Jeep. I probably will not be buying another one, but I do love its FFing limits. It will take us to booster age!

nmb

. An SL, obviously, as many of you have, for the higher rf limit. .... I might as well just get the one with the higher rf limit.

Since they came out, I've wanted an XT. But I'm starting to wonder if it really offers that much more protection to justify the cost difference. Even though the seat doesn't seem very deep, Elias looks perfectly contained in the 65. Honestly, I'd probably be fine with another 65 (SL). Liv's 6 years old and still not even 50 lbs. She'll outgrow it by height, like many, before hitting the 65 lb. mark. Plus, she's 6.

Just wanted to point out, if you do go w/ the 65, it has the same (40 lb) RF limit as the non-SL version, so don't pay the extra for it just to get the higher weight limit. If you like the SL for itself, then pay the extra. Otherwise, if you do want the higher weight limit, you'll have to look at the XTSL or 80SL.

We have an older 80, bought when DS was an infant.... The lack of deeper sides / head protection is the only thing I don't like about that seat. (also wish it was a higher RF weight, but you know....in '06, early '07, 33 lbs was as high as it went anyway so good for the time)

Love the XT...DS didn't seem to like the headwings much at first, he'd always sit forward to try to look around / under them...even after riding in a Signo before that, which he didn't do the same thing in. :confused: But he got used to them pretty quickly and they are nice for sleeping w/ RF'ing....the body pillow of the 80 works just as well for that though (but wouldn't provide extra protection in a crash)

ETA: Oh - one other consideration with the headwings... FF'ing, when you have the harness straps at the next slot above your DC's shoulders, the headrest is supposed to come down to be just above the shoulders....so that it is pushing down the harness straps. This bothers me, personally, I don't like the idea of the force of the kid in a FF'ing accident, pulling the harness straps that are under the headwings and potentially pulling the headwings out at an angle from the seat for him to crash back into. And if the headwings don't pull out, then they are clearly interfering w/ the harness straps, which is always put out as something not to do. There doesn't seem to be any clear evidence of how this really works out in a real life crash, not that I've seen anyway...and I'm probably overthinking it... but something to be aware of. I think most (all?) other seats w/ SIP headwings have harnesses that adjust w/ the headwings. (I think). I've made the decision to put the headwings above the next harness slot when we have it FF'ing...against man. directions...but it feels safer to me. In our case right now, that puts the bottom of the wings right about even w/ the bottom of DS's ears, so his head is still pretty well protected I believe.
(*not a tech, and I've seen nothing to back that thought up.... just a mom who loves her little boy, owns one of these seats....and way overthinks all the "what if's") :)

emandbri

I have a 65 made in 3/08 and an 80 made in 10/08. I'm going to sell one of them to buy Elizabeth a floral XT since she is approaching 40 lbs and I want to keep her rear-facing. I'm not sure how either of us will feel about the head wings, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I don't regret buying the 80, it was the best choice at the time since I had no way to know that they weren't going to retroactively certify seats to a higher weight limit.

monstah

I have two 65's right now and I love them. If I was going to buy a new seat tomorrow, I would be very happy with another 65 or 65SL. I'm not a headwings fan so I know I wouldn't get an XT unless it was for the cover. :whistle:

3plus2isme

We have a 65 and a XT... I have no preference between them, just bought the XT because I got a better deal on it.

I have no use for the SL (bought my XT when I knew the SLs were about to come out and I "could" have waited) because I prefer installing with seatbelts.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
We have an XT and an 80. The 80 is newer and part of the 40lb RF limit. I prefer the XT because I like wings.

cryswilkins

I have a regular XT that I got a really good deal on because the XTSL's had just come out. I don't need (or really trust) the SL, and the 45lbs RF limit is not something that I am interested in for my 3 year old.

ZephyrBlue

2 XTs w/40lb RF limit. My kids are peanuts, though (oldest didn't hit 45lbs till she turned 9, DD#2 will be 7 in a few weeks and is 35.5lbs, DS is 4.5+ and 35lbs) so we really don't need a 45lb RF seat.

I love the RN, but the shallow sides make me reallly nervous for FF. I wouldn't use one w/out the headwings for a FF child.

SL would be nice, as I hate the seatbelt install in both positions that I use in my Yukon XL, but it's not a big enough deal to warrant selling my XTs to purchase new ones w/SL.

stephpook

I have an older style 65 and a 65SL. I really love my Radians but not the way they install in my car (FF with the seatbelt). If Honda would change their LATCH limits and start deferring to the carseat manufacturer everything would be perfect. I'd use the old 65 (with the old style boot that gives me a more upright install) RF for my little guy and the 65SL FF for my 4 year old. As it is, I'm using the SL (which will not stay in a more upright position no matter how hard I try) RF for the baby and the older 65 is sitting in my parent's basement because I cannot get the thing installed FF with the seatbelt to my satisfaction. :(

urchin_grey

I don't personally have one yet, so I didn't vote. But I got my sister (due with her first in Feb) the 80SL. I wanted her to have the highest RF'ing limit and the infant insert, but I didn't think the headwings were imperative since he'll be an only for quite a while so he'll be riding in the center. The Metro was her fav cover anyway and it only comes in the 80.

My sister (who lives with us) is getting the XTSL in Bentley for her DS. The XT for the headwings and the Bentley cover (she preferred the tan/brown to the tan/black). DN is 32lbs naked and short but ALL torso and head so he needs the extra weight limit and the tall shell of the RN. We looked at the MR but he has less than 3in of growing room. I know for most kids that could last years, but his last growth spurt he gained 3 inches, all from the waist up. o_O So he's going to need a RN to make it to 4 RF'ing. And to think, at the beginning of the year (before there were 40 and 45lb seats available) we were afraid he wouldn't make it to 3. :D

For DS, I also plan to get the XTSL, simply because I am going to need a travel (plane) seat but I want the Flora cover. :eek: Otherwise I'd get the 65SL.

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
I'm getting the XTSL. Hopefully it will ship this week. I had a 65 a few years ago and wasn't thrilled with the harness adjuster. I ended up selling it. I'm really hoping it was just that seat or just that model and that the newer models are better since i don't have a choice (need 3 across in a Prius). Sorry that I don't have much to add to this post. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC