Which seats for 2 RF in a small car?

redvlagrl

Hi

I'm new to this forum and have a question about RFing 2 in my Mazda3 (2007).

DD will be 19 mths when the new baby arrives and is currently RFing behind the passenger seat in a Evenflo Triumph Advance at a 30 degree angle. At this angle, the passenger seat is ok (for my short legs) in terms of leg room with a very upright seat, but we can see that it wouldn't fit behind the driver's seat for DH who is 6'2 with v long legs.

So we need to find either an infant seat or convertible that will comfortably fit behind the driver *with* a 45 degree recline leaving quite a lot of leg room. All the searching so far has referred to a 30 degree angle.

We are in Canada and money is no object (as it's cheaper than a new car), but getting a bigger car is not an option.

If we can't find a solution we will have to turn DD FFing which neither of us want to do at 19 mths.

ADS

canadiangie

I would look at the Chicco KeyFit. It seems to take up the least front to back room, and allows for the handle to be left up. It's my go-to infant seat when space is at a premium. You could also look at the Graco Snugride as it's about the same size as the KeyFit and also allows the handle to be left up.

Seats to avoid would be the Peg Perego SIP and anything by Evenflo as both require the handle to be down, and in the case of Evenflo also 1.5" of clearance space between the lowered handle and the front seat. Also avoid the Britax Chaperone as it takes up quite a bit front to back room -- about 2" more than the KeyFit.

A key thing to remember when installing an infant seat: Be sure to move your front seat all the way forward before you install. Then climb into your vehicle and lean overtop of the base, bum in the air, using one hand to push down, your knees/legs to push in on the front of the base, and then your other hand to tighten. You need to try to work the base into the cushion of the vehicle seatback, if that makes sense. By doing this you can sometimes gain almost an inch or so of space without affecting how the seat attaches to the base. You also tend to end up with a rock solid install. :)

mommycat

Please let us know if you find something which works for you. Angie gave some great suggestions.

Another thing to consider is to try to get 2 seats side by side, center and passenger side. Not quite sure of how easy/possible this is, but a RF Radian in the center sounds possible from posts I have seen, and then you can put baby in a seat outboard without needing it to fit behind the driver's side. If you are interested in this option we could suggest seats which may puzzle well with the Radian.

Yet another option if you are having issues with the infant seats is to try a True Fit behind driver's side with a 45 degree angle and the headrest off. By the time you need to put the headrest on the baby could be more upright and the TF tends to fit small when installed more upright even with the headrest. It also makes a nice FF seat with some natural recline and deep shell, and nice high weight/height limits. You could switch the kids' seats later if it fit better the other way around after you need the headrest.

Kaede's_Mom

I can tell you a Radian will not fit, even in the center. If the center is the same as the 5-door Mazda 3's which DH says he belives is the case, then it is unuseable.

The radian will fit RF passanger side but it is rather upright, about 30*

The TF fits great with and with out the upper portion on, and with out at a full infant recline. The front seat does need to be pushed up quite a bit for it to be at a new born recline, but not as much when a toddler would use it.

I have not tried infant seats yet, as we are not doing an infat seat this time. Other seats I have tried in there are a GN and Frontier (of corse you are no where neer needing a FF seat ;) ). The Britax converdables fit great, but in that case I would go with a MR or keep your ETA.

Hope that helps a little bit with what will fit, although probly not too helpfull lol.

redvlagrl

Wow. Thank you so much for this great, great info!

I am definitely interested in the middle/outboard option (does outboard always mean behind the passenger, or can it also mean behind the driver?)

I have read on this forum that a britax fits nicely between the two front seats - I wonder if it sitll does at 45 incline?

Would an option be the roundabout/Marathon (I know this is a small seat, but we can go back to the Evenflo once the babe is out of the infant seat) puzzled with the chicco keyfit?

Should I also try our evenflo in the middle for the time being? Has anyone got experience with this?

Also, when I went to a carseat clinic last, the technician didn't seem to know anything near as much as your guys - he just kinda did an all-purpose install. Does anyone know where I can find a good technician in the London, ON area?

Thank you so, so much.

redvlagrl

I also wanted to add that we are not set on having an infant seat - we would be quite ok with a convertible from the get go. Thanks!

Kaede's_Mom

Wow. Thank you so much for this great, great info!

I am definitely interested in the middle/outboard option (does outboard always mean behind the passenger, or can it also mean behind the driver?)

I have read on this forum that a britax fits nicely between the two front seats - I wonder if it sitll does at 45 incline?

Would an option be the roundabout/Marathon (I know this is a small seat, but we can go back to the Evenflo once the babe is out of the infant seat) puzzled with the chicco keyfit?

Should I also try our evenflo in the middle for the time being? Has anyone got experience with this?

Also, when I went to a carseat clinic last, the technician didn't seem to know anything near as much as your guys - he just kinda did an all-purpose install. Does anyone know where I can find a good technician in the London, ON area?

Thank you so, so much.

Outboard- either passenger or driver side.

If you are looking at Roundabout/Marathon then I would look into the Gaco Myride, it is about the same size as the Britax seats, but with a higher RF limit and it is less expensive. I do know the MA will fit at a 45*, but the front seat was pretty far forward. If you will use it for your older child they do not need the full 45* and can be more upright.

If you are wanting, or thinking of, skipping the infant bucket you will need a convertible that will fit baby from birth. Not all of them that claim to do so will. I am not in Canada so I am not sure of all the seats available there, I am sure someone who does will chime in for that.

mommycat

The regular old Roundabout is a smaller seat. The Marathon is a larger seat, much on par with the EFTA you have, I think, and I believe the Roundabout50 is the same shell?? Just wanted to clarify. Do look at the MyRide as it may work well, though I am not clear as to how it puzzles (not having seen one yet IRL) as compared to the Britaxes which sit on a narrow base and allow other seats to slide in underneath the flared parts.

The Britaxes definitely do NOT fit small babies well. The bottom slots I think are at 10.5" which is rather tall. The Radian and the TrueFit both fit small babies well, especially when using the infant inserts (only come with the Premier and XT versions of the Radian, all TFs have theirs). I think the EFTA also fits small babies well, so you could put baby in that and get the new higher-wt/ht limit seat for your older child. I think the MyRide does as well but someone should confirm that, pls.

I have seen posts where people have had a Radian in the Mazda3 RF in the center as I just recently researched this for a friend who wanted a Radian, but I can't remember how tall the front seat passengers were in those cases. Here's the email I sent her, and you could follow the links and see what you think about the odds, yourself:
It looks like you have a good chance that the Radian will work fine both RF and FF in the Mazda3:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=56075&highlight=radian+mazda3+mazda+3
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=53146&highlight=radian+mazda3+mazda+3
More with pics of the RN installed RF in the Mazda3:
http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=514007#post514007

Although it *may* only work in the center when RF (so it will work RF until #2 comes along ;) ... unless you can get a 3across, which also sounds like it is quite possible, especially with a Radian since they are very narrow and often puzzle well).
Here's more info, including a link to tips on getting a Radian more upright:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=64417&highlight=radian+mazda3+mazda+3

You *may* be able to use LATCH/UAS in the center seat, although I would need to dig around for the answer to the non-standard spacing question at the end:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=53146&highlight=radian+mazda3+mazda+3

Apparently the TF also fits:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=88508&highlight=radian+mazda3+mazda+3

redvlagrl

Mommycat - Thank you for all the info, especially about the Britaxes not being very suitable for a newborn. I think we will have to try The Chicco Keyfit and have it behind the driver because if I recline the ETA to 45 degrees then passenger seat is very, very uncomfortable.

I also have a nasty feeling that the radian (or actually any seat) will not fit next to the ETA and I'd rather not buy 2 new seats.

Thanks!

littleangelfire

Definitely try out a Scenera - cheap, fits newborns well, 35lbs rear facing limit, and b/c it has no base, doesn't take up very much room front to back. Also puzzles well with seats that do have a base. In a small car, I would skip the infant carrier seat - they just take up too much space, even getting them in and out was a pain in my car. But then, I only have 2 doors, too.

mommycat

I can't believe I forgot about the Scenera! But yes, you can try that as well. For all it's lack of extra padding and bells and whistles, it's a great compact little seat and was what worked the best in my dad's Civic when I was trying to eke out front/back room.

redvlagrl

We actually ended up with the Peg Perego SIP - it fits really well even with the handle down! I have posted a separate post giving more info. Thank you so much for your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC