Vent my neice improperly buckled in a booster

ginny4

while at my moms for christmas, my niece wasn't feeling well so i offered to drive her & my brother to my house since i had some motrin. the stores were closed for christmas. sooooo i took my moms van since her booster was already in there. the headrest of the evenflo big kid was set all the way down. I KNOW my niece needs it set much higher so i moved it up. my brother buckles her in with the lap portion OVER the armrests. i said it supposed to be under the armrest. my brother says that she doesn't like it that way & she'll be fine. i didn't want to drive off. i bit my tongue & drove on.

my neice proceeds on the trip (all of 10min each way) to complain about her back hurting? i guess the way it adjusts hits her back funny? we ignored that. but when we returned back i noticed that she pulled the shoulder belt OFF her shoulder onto her arm! i didn't know she was that way cause she had a blanket over her.

it just upsets me that he has no regard for safety in the car & has created a major problem with her ever buckling properly. i'm trying so hard to be quiet, its not my kid. i just have to pray.....she is 7yo & i KNOW that when she turns 8yo they will take her immediately out of a booster cause she'll be legal in a seatbelt.

i wish i could really do something to help them understand the importance of buckling properly. so sad

ADS

Evolily

Honestly, being in just a seatbelt may be safer than how improperly used her booster is.

I wouldn't have driven her. Nevermind the safety issues- in most states there is a proper use clause and driving her improperly restrained would end in a ticket. If there was an accident you could be liable :twocents: .

Kat_Momof3

you are better at biting your tongue than I would have been... but then, I insist everyone ride properly in my car... end of discussion... and we don't move if someone is moving the seatbelt off his/her shoulder.

ginny4

i'm really hesitant on conflict. i don't like to step on anyones toes. i know i should've just fixed it & i would have if it was just her & me. it was that my brother is the father & i'm just an aunt. it felt it wasn't my place to say anything more than what i did. i told him it wasn't right nor safe. he blew me off.....
i hadn't realized that i could have been held liable if something were to happen. you do learn something new everyday. thank you! that will help me in the future. i don't usually see them so this situation rarely comes up. even for friends....i don't drive friends since i have no space for anymore people but our own family in our van.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I don't like to step on toes either... if I was the passenger, spoke up and they chose not to listen, I would feel that would be the end of it. But if I was the driver? They follow best practices.

I've made a few people mad (and I'm pretty non-confrontational,) but I honestly don't care.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC