Question Two Graco Nautilus and a booster?

Anglyn

In the back of a Prius? Seriously thinking of trading in my minivan but worried about fitting two car seats and a booster. DD is only six and small for her age so I expect her to be in a booster for awhile. Or should I just get a new minivan and wait out the car seats years?

ADS

Evolily

If you want the vehicle, get it, and just buy new seats :) . You probably won't be able to fit two nautili's and a booster (if you can it'll be TIGHT) but you should be able to fit some combination of seats.

What are your childs stats (age/weight/height/torso height)?

jujumum

Maybe 3 harnessed seats would fit better? The 2 Nautis and something else? In a tight 3 across squeeze, it might be hard to buckle the booster.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Take the seats to the dealership and try it out. (If you're lucky, they'll have several different vehicles in the nice, warm, dry showroom you can try. :p) If the sales folks give you grief, you know where you won't be purchasing your vehicle. . .

I doubt that combo will fit and if it does, it will be difficult to buckle the booster (as it is in any 3 across scenario).

What is it about the Prius that has your interest? There are several hybrid vehicles available that would probably offer more backseat space than a Prius. And TONS of vehicles that would be in that $$ range.

Anglyn

DD is six, 45lbs
ds is five, 43lbs
ds is two, 28lbs

I need to measure them again, we just took their weight last week but haven't measured height in awhile. I think I threw out the old car seats and bought new ones about a year ago.

In a lot ways I really love the minivan, its roomy and all that. But the prius gets 51 miles to the gallon. I really wish I could afford to just buy two cars and drive the prius to work and back.

Anglyn

Maybe 3 harnessed seats would fit better? The 2 Nautis and something else? In a tight 3 across squeeze, it might be hard to buckle the booster.

Good point. I wonder if three Nautis would fit? I really like the two we have!

Maedze

Good point. I wonder if three Nautis would fit? I really like the two we have!

Three Nautiluses (or two Nautiluses and a booster) will just not fit in a Prius.

The good news is, your two year old should be rear facing :)

If you put your two year old rear facing in the center position in a Radian XTSL or 80SL (rear faces to 45 pounds), put the five year old in a Radian forward facing outboard, and depending on size put the 6 year old forward facing in either a Radian or a booster, you'll be able to fit just fine :)

Anglyn

I did not know there was a seat that could rf to 45lbs! We kept him rf until he was two. That's what I was looking for, what combination WOULD fit? Thanks!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I honestly doubt you will get ONE nauti in there, SORRY. Nauti's just don't puzzle well and are hard to get in 3-acrosses, period, except in very large vehicles.

So, you have a van, but need a commuter car? To be honest, there might very well be other car options that would suit your needs better...is the van yours, or do you have to give it back, like a lease? Or are you selling it to get a new vehicle?
While having a prius as a family car might be great on fuel economy, it's definitely different than a van, in so many ways. If you can get both a family van and a commuter car, that really might be the best option. not that many families don't have small vehicles as their family vehicle, but imo, it's not ideal at all.

Do you generally drive with all 3 kids, or just 1-2 at a time? With a car, you won't ever be able to take a kids friend, for examnple, unless one of your own kids isn't going along..does that work with your lifestyle?
I'm not saying you shouldn't get a prius,more just think it through carefully.
We got a car instead of a van last summer, when gas prices were OMG, and I've regretted it every day since then.

swtgi1982

If you try the radian in the center RF and then put the other two outboard, you may be able to do it. If not I personally say 3 radians. Probably all that go to 80lb FF to get the most out of them for your money.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Very, very, very few kids will make it to 80# in a Radian before outgrowing it by height. Most will outgrow it at or before 65#. She will not get "more for her money" out of an 80# Radian (except that it will RF to 45#, not 40# like the RN665).

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
I agree with Maedze. Put one nautilus outboard, a RFing radian in the middle, and another nautilus or a booster on the other side. I don't have any experience with the prius but I know that exact combo will fit in my spectra and I believe the prius might be wider. Here, have a picture. :)

Picture0302.jpg

ETA: Okay, so I just reread Maedze's post and I don't completely agree with her, but mostly. :)

swtgi1982

Very, very, very few kids will make it to 80# in a Radian before outgrowing it by height. Most will outgrow it at or before 65#. She will not get "more for her money" out of an 80# Radian (except that it will RF to 45#, not 40# like the RN665).

I know that I just meant for RF purposes they would be great for the younger two :)

cookie123

If you drive your 3 kids around alot, or it's the main kid mobile, I'd stick with the van. 3 across gets to be a pain, especially with boosters. This is my opinion of course, and if I could do a van, I'd prefer it with 3 kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC