What is your favorite booster and why?

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
We will soon be in the market for a booster seat. This seat will be used when we ride in someone else's car, so maybe 1-2 times per month. My son is 5 yrs, 39 lbs (won't use the booster until he hits 40 lbs without shoes), and is 44" tall.

Currently, he rides in a Frontier in my car and a Nautilus in my husband's (both with the harness). I am not a fan of the Nautilus and don't want another. Another Frontier would be great, but I don't see my husband agreeing to buy a second. Besides I would put the second one in his car and lug the Nautilus around to someone else's car. A dedicated booster would be nice to have.

My first choice is the Jane Indy, but I can't get it. I am guessing that it is no longer made. I would like to see the Chicco Keyfit Strada, but I am a little leery about buying a seat that has just come onto the market (assuming it ever does make it onto the market).

So, what is your favorite booster seat and why??

Last edited:
ADS

Raegansmom4

I'd say for 1-2 times per month, I'd get a Graco Turbobooster. It's economical and fits slim children quite well and provides a good belt fit. I say "slim" b/c my just-turned 4 yo dd is 45.5 lbs!

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
I thought about it, but I don't like that it comes apart unless you hold it "just right." To me that is a pain. I need something I can carry one handed. If I can't find the "perfect" booster then most likely I will get a Turbo Booster or Parkway SG. I have some time to shop though. I am guessing a couple of months, maybe more. Our spare seat now goes to 40 lbs. He is 39 lbs with shoes and 38 lbs without shoes now.

I'd say for 1-2 times per month, I'd get a Graco Turbobooster. It's economical and fits slim children quite well and provides a good belt fit. I say "slim" b/c my just-turned 4 yo dd is 45.5 lbs!

littleangelfire

My favorite depends on the kid. for MY kid - who is way big for his age and always has been - it was Frontier all the way. No other booster has comparable width or height.

For a smaller kid - Turbobooster is great. Monterey.

As for carrying with one hand, I've yet to be able to do this. With the Frontier, its too big to carry with one hand, and with the Monterey, turbos and any other that converts to a backless, you can't carry with one hand b/c the bottom swings down and possibly off. I don't have experience with the Cleks, though since their high back is in the $300 range I think, that's probably just as out as the Frontier. The Recaro Vivo sounds like a good bet, if your child isn't super tall.

steph_s

Hands down the parkway SG! It fits my super narrow, 41lbs on a good day, shortest kid in his class but a super long torso about to outgrow is Regent 5.5 year old as well as older kids like my 8yo 85lb nephew. It fits in every car I've tried it in (over 10 different ones), and the price is nice considering it converts to a backless.

My next pick would be the Vivo. It doesn't fit my main car well, but in my brothers car, my mom's vehicle and my grandma's vehicle it fits nicely. In my car it just gives a funky belt fit and my son is super picky about his seats and doesn't like it for anything more than a 10 minute drive and complains of his butt hurting. (Most kids I've tried in this seat don't complain about this though).

If your child has broader shoulders the Monterey is a good choice also. My munchkin as I said before is very narrow so this seat doesn't work for him, but for the majority of stockier children or boys it does fit well. It even fit my friends 43lb just turned 4yo very well (short trip emergency situation).

ETA: The parkway is easy to carry for an adult with one hand. It doesn't come apart like the turbo does and it's lightweight so not a big deal to just grab and go.

Kat_Momof3

I agree, I'd go for the Parkway SG.... I would want something that converts to backless just because not all cars work well with highback boosters.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC