We the people....

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
demand that the laws of our sates & nation reflect safest practice guidelines -- the simple act of transporting our children in the vehicle on a daily basis is a life or death matter!
  • Safest practice includes:
    • mandatory RF until at least 12 months AND 20#
    • harnessed until 4 years, 40#
    • boostered until passing the 5 Step Test
    • as well as a Proper Use clause
If your state lacks safest practice law, you are encouraged as a citizen to communicate with your repesentatives the need for improved safety laws :) A personal request is that you not stop at CPSafety, but write your representatives often about every issue that concerns you: family violence, war, etc.

Last edited:
ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I thought about that -- but, it's not the "standard" & from what I've read, few states require RF at all.... NY doesn't, nor do we have a Proper Use clause :(

Mass people writing in to urge the standard recommendation to be increased to 2 yrs and/or 30# would be awesome, though! :D

Last edited:

menfusse

Even though that says as of Jan. 07...it must not be up to date. KY's laws changed year before last, and it went primary last summer. Booster to 8 years or 65lbs. Well, I'm not sure on the weight, but I know it is 8 years.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I would up the RF limit to 2 and 30 lbs. Most states already require 12/20.

Most states don't have rear facing laws. It's just a recommendation. It will be hard if not impossible to get a 2yr & 30lb law passed.

I also see issues with that limit too. I had a little boy back last fall that was 13mths and 32lbs. There is no way he would make it to 2yrs rear facing. I had to turn him ff'ing in her Boulevard due to his size. I hated doing it but it had to be done.

I think just getting the 1 & 20lb as a law in all states is our first approach.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
They can take a while to update -- it took them quite a while to add NY's booster law, too.... But, it's usually the most detailed & current source that I know of: there's a colorful map somewhere but it's filled with horrible add on product images :rolleyes:

menfusse

I thought so. Plus Ky is having some issue about the original law implicating neglegence when a booster isn't used and they don't want it to read that way...some kind of pety crap. So as of now it just says that children over 40 lbs will be in an approved booster seat. Crazy.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
How could it not negligence :confused: :( Of course it's negligence if someone does not use a life saving device when the child does not fit the seatbelt as per NHTSA, AAP & the vehicle manufacturer's manual :mad: Prime example of a situation to write in about...!

menfusse

EXACTLY!!! I mean, they want the law to say its illegal to NOT use a proper booster and you will be fined accordingly. BUT, if you are in an accident and the child is hurt is not negligence....just a FINE. WTH?!?!

skaterbabs

Actually, the majority of states have proper use clauses and require 12/20. There are a bunch that don't, but they are the minority.
Every convertible seat currently on the market goes to 30 lbs RF. THAT should be the legal minimum, not 20 lbs.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Actually, the majority of states have proper use clauses and require 12/20. There are a bunch that don't, but they are the minority.
Every convertible seat currently on the market goes to 30 lbs RF. THAT should be the legal minimum, not 20 lbs.
I haven't looked up the actual legislation for each state, but only 11 states on the IIHS list show RF requirements :confused:
If they're not up to date, I'm sure they'd appreciate being notified....

Amaris

I wish they would simply make it rf to 30lbs regardless of age. That would allow for most kids to make it to at least 2 years old, and for those that don't then they wouldn't be breaking the law.

skaterbabs

I wish they would simply make it rf to 30lbs regardless of age. That would allow for most kids to make it to at least 2 years old, and for those that don't then they wouldn't be breaking the law.

Well said. That I agree with. And raising won't prevent the states without 12/20 from meeting 12/20 (which is stupid anyway.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC