I cant take anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since my daughter was born we have had an issue with car sickness! I work an hour from home and dd goes to a daycare near my work...so she has to be in the car since I do have the most awesome babysitter in the world! Issue is that most of the time on the way home from the sitter and sometimes on the way to the sitter dd gets car sick. I have tried everything from new car seat to moving her to the other captains chair in the 2004 Montana, to the motion sickness bands, even consulted with the doctor who says that her vomiting is unnecessary and it is damaging her esophagus. I end up cleaning out her seat 2-3 nights a week and at least once every weekend (not easy for single mom 3 kids working 70+ hours a week) and monday night on the way home she got sick again! I dont know if it was overexhaustion, Christmas or whatever but I went home cleaned out her seat and turned her ff and havent had an issue since. In fact yesterday she actually jabbered away during the car rideand enjoyed the ride home. Something she hasnt done in a very long while...I am trying not to be a bad mom I love my daughter but I cant keep watching her vomit and clean the seat out every night (the smell is beginning to not come out as good anymore)and I cannot not have her esophagus being damaged due to vomiting. When it first happened I thought it was like oh too much formula, etc but then when it kept happening I knew we were having an issue here so we took her out of her infant seat and put her in an MA and it kept happening...I dont know I am confused by all of this and frankly tired of cleaning a seat every night maybe someone has some better advice. We have tried about everything and this seems to be the only thing working. She does not get sick unless she is in the car.

ADS

Maedze

Based on your profile, your baby was 9 months in October (if you last updated when you registered) and is about 11 months now.

I want to state, for the record, for your sake and for anyone who is lurking, that forward facing an infant is NOT safe, it is NOT legal, and the consequences could be absolutely tragic.

I would like to help you find a solution that does not put your child's life at immediate risk.

Have you considered the possibility that your seat was overly reclined? Did you try putting it more upright? Did you try switching to a different convertible? Forward facing is not, under any circumstances, an acceptable option for your child.

4boysmom

do you need all the seats in the montana? Could you remove the cpt chairs and slide the rear bench forward and seat her in the middle of the rear bench? Or just put her in the very back?

Maedze

My daughter is 10 months old. Her seat is not reclined, it is as straight up as can be. Docs say its the backward motion making her sick.

Ok, again, to reiterate, this is a life-threatening issue and also illegal.

It might be the backward motion that is making her vomit, but the forward motion is what is going to hurt her, or much, much, much worse, in an accident.

There are parents here who have dealt with severe motion sickness successfully. Hopefully they'll be along to offer ideas, but I want to reiterate that forward facing IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Based on your other responses to recent threads I got the impression that perhaps you didn't understand (or believe it).

In a forward facing impact, your child's head (which is disproportionately large compared to her body at this age) is whipped forward at speeds and a force that you or I cannot comprehend or possibly manually replicate.

Her spinal column (the bones and connective tissue) that protects the spine can stretch as much as two inches.

Her spinal CORD will stretch with the column. The cord is what brings signals from the brain to the rest of the body. It is what allows her to voluntarily move her limbs and also what enables her to BREATHE. If the COLUMN stretches two inches, the CORD stretches two inches...and the cord can only stretch about 1/8th of an inch before it severs.

Depending on where the spine severs, she could lose the use of her legs. She could lose the use of her arms and legs. She could even lose the ability to breathe.

When she is rear facing, her head and neck and torso move toward the point of impact as one, in line, gently cradled by the shell of the seat. No part of her body is thrown away from being in line with her spine. She does not suffer head or neck injuries.

I realize that I am being very forceful, but I need to impress upon you the life or death situation this is. I am not unsympathetic to your situation, but based on the opinions you've very recently volunteered about child passenger safety I suspect you may not really understand the gravity of the situation :(

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
OP knows about RF/ERF but from her own words in the post about OHS/ 3 point harness this is how she feels:

"I will not ERF I totally support carseat use but not ERF. I am alive today because my parents chose to FF me and my sisters."

And from another post on 11-13-2009 (another poster had car sickness questions)

"my dd was very carsick until we had no choice but to ff her before a year. Its not the best idea but the bracelet didnt work and for some reason once we got her ff in her Marathon in the van we didnt have an issue again. I have an hour commute to work and now I dont have to worry if she is going to aspirate if she vomits because she doesnt. There is something about her being rearfacing that causes her to get sick (I am talking projectile vomiting here) I am glad I am not the only parent that has gone through this."

Maedze

So this is not a new development?

Op, you knowingly put your baby's life at risk months ago, but are now posting as though it's a recent development after you expressed some very inaccurate opinions and were corrected on them recently.

May I ask why this is?

Mom2three

You have been around long enough to have access to all of the best practice info. The other concerned members have corrected your false information, and tried to offer you help and correct info. You seem to have no regard for what is safest and what is best. Which makes me wonder why you continue to post. I do not understand why you would even post this. Your earlier post says you turned your DD FF over a month ago, and you knew then it was unsafe.

I am essentially a single parent of 3 and 4 kids (depending on when DSD is here) and even when my DH is home (hasn't been in almost 3 wks) I would never use the fact that I have a lot of responsibility to justify putting my young child's life at risk. You are doing a disservice to any parent who is overworked, overwhelmed, or whathaveyou. I know what's it's like to be busy and not have any time after work. My life is a whirwind of kids, and I very rarely have time to even think straight. But I would NEVER put my time or lack of motivation to clean a seat or whatever before the safety of my children. EVER.

You already knew what everyone would say to your post. You know that what you are doing is not only VERY unsafe, but VERY illegal. So again, I ask, what's the point?

Lea_Ontario

We dealt with MONTHS of severe motion sickness with Bug as she was recovering from HepA. Even 5 mins in the car and she was puking. Started when she was 16 months and lasted until - well, I don't rightly remember now.

I came on here and asked about RF vs. FF for carsickness too.

Benedryl or Gravol was our best friend - for EVERY trip in the car for a long time.

Yes, I chose to repeated and routinely "drug" my child (a half-dose worked for most trips). I would have done so daily.

It was safer for her to be dosed with a half-dose of Benedryl or Gravol frequently than it was to turn her FF.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It's not safe. It's not legal. (And it's not just not ERF, it's not even the absolute bare minimum.)

You know this, and you know the reaction you'd get posting it.

Why now, if you've been doing it for a while?

I'm not sure you're interested in solutions, but if you are, try meds as Kashi suggested. Or sell the Marathon and buy two Safety 1st Avenues, so you always have a clean seat to use.

Heather86

My ds puked every.single.ride. for 7 months He was in an infant bucket and it was over reclined and with his reflux he just couldn't take it. I bought a $35 scenera and he was fine. There are loads of options before breaking the law and possibly your baby's neck :twocents:

arly1983

Another member here and an IRL friend of mine has 4 seats for 1 child so there is always a clean seat (and they were not pricey seats). This child still vomits numerous times a day and has since she was born 7 months ago. Your situation is not unique and others have delt with it successfully. If you choose to turn her, its not because there is no choice.

babygirlsmom1005

You know, there are kids out there that have reflux (both of mine do and one was severe enough it required surgery - but we're talking a average of 210 reflux episodes a hour) and esphogas damage is a major concern. If the pedi is that concerned about her esphogas being damaged from motion sickness, there are medications to reduce the amount of stomach acid being thrown up - avaible by script. I would suggest that route, or any other route before knowling (which you know) putting my child's life in danger :(

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'm assuming she just wants to get everyone in a tizzy over this and cause drama? I can't really think of any other reason since she's not asking for help and doesn't seem to care she's endangering child.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
"Its easy to give up..It takes faith to get through." Joyce Meyer

I find it ironic this is your favorite quote.

Raegansmom4

If a person is more worried about cleaning up puke than what is safest for her child, there is nothing more we can do. I'm confused why she even spends time on this board?? If she cares that little for child passenger safety, why post here? Drama...

Auburn

Based on post history I don't think this poster wants anything but to rile everyone up. I was tempted to but I won't go so far as to say she's a troll...but I think this this post was added to get a rise out of everyone here and nothing more.

aclayton74

Based on post history I don't think this poster wants anything but to rile everyone up. I was tempted to but I won't go so far as to say she's a troll...but I think this this post was added to get a rise out of everyone here and nothing more.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC