SafeGuard Child Seat Versus Recaro Young Sport

A

AP1

We have a 2 1/2 year old son (roughly 34" tall and 28 lbs heavy) and a 10 month old daughter. She has outgrown hear seat, so it is time to purchase another. We looked at a Britax Regent, but it seemed too wide for our son (he is thin) and I was not sure if that would be an added problem in a side impact collision (force would throw him to one side of the seat). We are looking at a SafeGuard Child Seat or Recaro Young Sport (I wish the new Recaro with a 5pt harness to 80 lbs was available now as opposed to May). One question I have, is does the Recaro Young Sport have a top teather? And in the opinion of the members here ... which do you think we would be better off with? Many thanks.

ADS

scatterbunny

I think either the Safeguard or Young Sport are good options, since your son is on the smaller side. He should be 5+ when he reaches 40 pounds, so the Young Sport is a good option that makes a fabulous seat in both harness and booster mode. Yes, it does have a tether. The Safeguard would allow him to stay harnessed to 65 pounds. Take a look at the CDC growth charts to see about how old he would be if he continues on the same curve.

If you went with the Young Sport and then the new Recaro convertible comes out and you like it better you can always use the Young Sport as the "spare" seat, carpool seat or whatever. ;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If the Regent seemed too big, then I think the SafeGuard Childseat probably will, too since they are roughly the same dimensions & have the same limits....

RYSport does have a top tether -- all carseats must have them -- my old (meaning it has a new owner since my 95th percentile height DD outgrew the harness before 40#) RYSport required top tether use when used as a booster....

Although I have not seen the SG in person, we owned the Regent & RYSport at the same time (used in different vehicles) & it was a really close call as to which one we liked best -- the RYSport is so sturdy & very well padded. However, the height adjustment on the RYSport was annoying: a metal bar with a leather strap to pull it out of place, move & push back into place again for harness + an unusual button release on the back for adjusting booster height.

If I were you, I would get your DD an uptown for now (or test the Radian) & wait to see the new Recaro in May -- assuming bigger kiddo has enough room in his current seat?
  • What carseats do you have now?
  • What is/are the year, make, model for the vehicle(s)?

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
The Safeguard would be a better fit than the Regent b/c it's much, much narrower. The Young Sport is about the same width as the Safeguard.

Having said that... have you thought about getting a seat that would keep your son rearfacing a bit longer? There are many seats that rearface up to 33-35lbs. It's much safer than forward-facing. The Regent, YoungSport, nor Safeguard can be used rearfacing. I don't have much experience with many of the convertible seats since we only owned an Evenflo Triumph and a Britax Marathon - both of which my son should fit in for another year (he's four).

Good luck with your decision :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Deborah (another CPST who used to post often, but hasn't lately) has the original SafeGuarg Childseat & said it's just as wide as the Regent -- do you mean the SafeGuard GO :confused: Choosing between the GO & RYSport, I'd choose Recaro hands down....

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
AdventureMom has ordered a plethora of seats to compare them for her child and decide which installed best in various vehicles and posted side by side photos of the Safeguard, Regent, Radian and Recaro among others recently for us to drool over, lol. The Safeguard really is not as wide nor does it have as tall shoulder harness slots compared to the Regent (nor the Regent's 80 lb. weight limit; the Safeguard has a 65 lb. weight limit). ;) I also agree with AdventureMom about considering a rear facing seat since the op's toddler is 28 lbs. :)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
AdventureMom has ordered a plethora of seats to compare them for her child and decide which installed best in various vehicles and posted side by side photos of the Safeguard, Regent, Radian and Recaro among others recently for us to drool over, lol. The Safeguard really is not as wide nor does it have as tall shoulder harness slots compared to the Regent (nor the Regent's 80 lb. weight limit; the Safeguard has a 65 lb. weight limit). ;) I also agree with AdventureMom about considering a rear facing seat since the op's toddler is 28 lbs. :)

Hey, I forgot about the pics - duh. Here's the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/99539616@N00/sets/72157594479632713/detail

Tiffany, I think maybe we're both right - the outside measurements of the Safeguard Child Seat *may* be as wide as the Regent (well, not THAT wide :eek: but close). But the interior is definitely more narrow, by quite a bit. I feel that my son would be more secure in the Safeguard than the Regent. So were you thinking of the outside measurements of the seat...?

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
80# vs. 65# -- should have been more clear earlier: I meant they have the same height limit with the same top harness slot measurement.

I remember seeing the photo, but honestly couldn't be sure whether or not it was an optical illusion considering the measurements I got directly from SafeGuard when it 1st came out were the same as the Regent....

Basically, all I'm saying is I wouldn't advize a parent to spent that much $ on a seat that they cannot compare themselves in person 1st, especially when their child is small enough to fit other dedicated, comfortable seats ;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Perhaps! I didn't re-visit that thread to see further discussion, but I remember thinking that it's so hard to tell how they'd fit any given child differently when the Regent cover pattern gives the effect of being narrow inside, but isn't :rolleyes: & then again various kids will fit the same seat differently! :) I would love to have the SG, but when Recaro is coming out with a more comparable option at almost 1/2 the price ... well, no more need be said :p

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Basically, all I'm saying is I wouldn't advize a parent to spent that much $ on a seat that they cannot compare themselves in person 1st, especially when their child is small enough to fit other dedicated, comfortable seats ;)

I see your point. I guess it's a matter of what fits the car, your child, and your budget the best... :) There are many good options for a child that age/size, especially convertibles.

Dillipop

Not that I recommend putting such a bitty in the safeguard, but we just had to try it out. Gilbey is 6 months, about 19-20 pounds and about 28 inches. (He will be rearfacing until 33-35 pounds, but we just wanted to see how they can rate it ffing from 22.) He fits surprisingly well. For comparison, same night in his ss1, which he still has plenty of room in.

OP- if you are not going to rearface your son, the safeguard is a great choice. It provides nice support, is a breeze to install using latch (literally under 30 seconds) and is really easy to use. I am pretty sure we will get the whole 65 pounds out of it with our older son who is 3 1/2 and close to 40 pounds with cloths on. It also has a seven year expiration and a seven year warranty, so it will last you a long time.

Last edited:

Dillipop

I could never imagine putting my 6 month old ffing :eek: ! Even before I knew better, DS1 was rfing until he was about 14 months old and about 25 pounds. He then returned for a while around 2. I am going to be much better this time around. Thankfully, DS1 wasn't in any accidents or hurt before we knew better!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Not that I recommend putting such a bitty in the safeguard, but we just had to try it out. Gilbey is 6 months, about 19-20 pounds and about 28 inches. (He will be rearfacing until 33-35 pounds, but we just wanted to see how they can rate it ffing from 22.) He fits surprisingly well. For comparison, same night in his ss1, which he still has plenty of room in.

OP- if you are not going to rearface your son, the safeguard is a great choice. It provides nice support, is a breeze to install using latch (literally under 30 seconds) and is really easy to use. I am pretty sure we will get the whole 65 pounds out of it with our older son who is 3 1/2 and close to 40 pounds with cloths on. It also has a seven year expiration and a seven year warranty, so it will last you a long time.

He is adorable!!!!!!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Awww, so cute.

Just for reference and accuracy's sake, here's a link to the Safeguard child seat's dimensions and specs on the Safeguard web page:
http://www.safeguardseat.com/child/features_dimensions.htm It's 19 inches wide, top slots are 19.5" per the manufacturer, while the Regent is 21 inches wide and has top shoulder harness slots of 20-21" according to carseatdata.org and measurements taken by Regent owners. ;) I would still encourage rear facing the OP's little one but think the Safeguard would be a possibility, budget permitting. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC