Quick question about videos w/ 10 yr old in seat belt only

::er!ca::

These two videos:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntPksBGDgFI"]YouTube- maxi-cosi crash-test: adult belt is not enough[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yUl4dCK1GA"]YouTube- Adult belt is not enough[/ame]

Those seat belts lock upon impact/sudden movement, right? Or no. Someone on another board is saying they don't, and I just want to be clear before I respond.

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yes, they lock, hence the forward down motion I think. Otherwise it would be just like wearing a lap belt and those people are bent more in 1/2.

The person questioning is stating that they wouldn't lengthen in the accident because they'd lock... but the "lengthening" she's speaking of is the seat belt stretching because of the force of the accident, correct? Or no?

Maedze

The person questioning is stating that they wouldn't lengthen in the accident because they'd lock... but the "lengthening" she's speaking of is the seat belt stretching because of the force of the accident, correct? Or no?

The belts lock. The webbing itself can stretch up to 18% from locking point.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
A basic lesson in how seatbelts work might bolster your case, since clearly the naysayers don't seem to understand http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/seatbelt.htm It also takes some time for the belt to lock, and that dummy suddenly weighs it's weight times the speed it's moving, so an 80 pound 10 yo dummy going 30mph is 2400 pounds, that's how the belt stretches like rubber, it appears. Which is actually a good thing, you want some ride down time to prevent injury. But yes, of course the belt locks, that's the fundamental beingness of a seatbelt, it must lock to work.

Thank you, Julie! I knew it locked, I just wanted to be sure I was 110% sure and didn't miss something before I told someone they were wrong! I didn't want it to come back and bite me :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC