Is this physically possible? Or am I nuts....

courtfrog2

DS#1 is 34 pounds naked. I just looked at it on elitecarseats, and the small size has a minimum of 35 pounds. I don't think I'm quite ready to take that step unless nothing else works. I think it will probably be a good option for us in 6 months or so though.

Elite will only has the old ones most likely. If you go on their website it will show the new one. Or here is a store than sells the new ones. Oooh... I like the pink ones!

http://comfortfirst.com/p-137405-ri...int-by-safe-traffic-system-free-shipping.aspx

ADS

lilliput

Really??? Oh dear. I like the colors....:whistle: And this is definitely something we would get much use out of. Hmmm. Now I really am caught in a pickle.

courtfrog2

If it's any help... my DD has been using her vest as a travel option/carpooling option for about 2 years. I love that I can put it in her backpack and not worry about it.

lilliput

Well, I downloaded the manual for the vest, and DS will only just meet the requirements, since he technically turns 3 in January, right after our trip, and it pretty clearly lists that as a minimum... :( He meets both height and weight requirements though. I think I will get one at some point in the next few months for the same reasons as you.

I think after reading lots more... we are going to FF the RN for DS#1 since I know I can do that install in my mom's car, whereas I have not done it RFing. I am going to order a Safety 1st Avenue to ship to FL for DS#2. It's only a hair more expensive than a Scenera and sounds a bit comfier.

Thanks for the links to the travel vest, and all the other great tips!

steph_s

I am perfectly comfortable using my vest as long as it's in the center seating position! My friends dd is on the very bottom of being able to fit in it, and it's a good fit on her. It has the same safety ratings as a 5-pt harness seat does (especially if used with the top tether) and I honestly can't say enough good things about it! I use mine a lot! It's good for 3 across, good for grandparents to use, good for children like my son with crazy long torso's where they don't fit into most 5-pt seats, about the only option for those who have outgrown a 5-pt and you only have a lap belt, great for taxi's, plus it never expires so yet another plus!

You could get the vest and see if anyone on here has installed a rf rn in the make, model and year of your mom's vehicle to make sure that it fits rf for your youngest. I totally forgot about the vest! I think as long as the rn fits you should just get the rstv and skip buying another seat that you won't use that often. Trust me, you will end up using the rstv and getting your money's worth out of it over the years I know I do! Just for the ease of use in grandparents, aunts and uncles vehicles, ect. it's worth it for me not to lug his big Regent and re-install in everyone's cars!

ETA: I have the old style in a size small (not recommended for your situation it is a bit bigger and doesn't fit kids on the lower end of the spectrum as well) I also have the new style in both a large and small that is how much I love and use the RSTV! Also I've had my old style rstv for almost 3 years now using it about 3-4 times per month and it's held up really nicely. I was concerned it wouldn't hold up to use and it does nicely!

lilliput

Aahh! I already pulled the trigger on the Avenue.... Actually, I'm pretty sure WendyThomas (is that right?) has a RN installed RFing in her A4, which is the same platform as my mom's VW Passat. I do love the idea of the vest, and I know for sure we'll get use out of it regularly. Dare I cancel this order? Is there a smiley for pulling my hair out? :cool:

Jennifer mom to my 7

You might need to check the state laws on using the vest. In New York state, it is not allowed for a child under 4 years old and 40 pounds to use a vest instead of a regular 5 point harness.

lilliput

Thank you for that warning! I didn't cancel the order! A very good point, and a relevant one. Vermont law, I believe, does, in fact, require all children up to age 8 to ride in some form of "safety seat" (booster or car seat). I'm guessing that does not include a vest. I think I'll dig a little deeper though :( So much for that idea. Never mind that the same flyer says I can put my child FFing at 1 and 20 lbs.... :mad: An obviously well-intentioned law that is completely missing a major point in safety.

steph_s

I think you will need to dig a bit to find out the laws. Where I live the law states they must be in a safety seat, however the vest is considered a safety seat because it has passed the testing.

Evolily

Thank you for that warning! I didn't cancel the order! A very good point, and a relevant one. Vermont law, I believe, does, in fact, require all children up to age 8 to ride in some form of "safety seat" (booster or car seat). I'm guessing that does not include a vest. I think I'll dig a little deeper though :( So much for that idea. Never mind that the same flyer says I can put my child FFing at 1 and 20 lbs.... :mad: An obviously well-intentioned law that is completely missing a major point in safety.
New York is the exception (they classify the vest as a booster, and have a law regarding boosters)

Here is the language of your law

http://www.norwich.vt.us/police/child-restraint-law
(a) No person shall operate a motor vehicle, other than a type I school bus, in this state upon a public highway unless every occupant under age 16 is properly restrained in a federally-approved child passenger restraining system as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 571.213 (1993) or a federally-approved safety belt, as follows:
[snip!]
(2) a child weighing more than 20 pounds, and who is one year of age or older and under the age of eight years, shall be restrained in a child passenger restraining system; and

lilliput

Thank you so much for digging up the law! Very helpful. It's interesting that the flyer they give out to all new parents from the Governor's Highway Safety commission only lists the "safety seat" aspect as opposed to the restraining system in the law, and also delineates all the different stages of restraint usage, but doesn't mention the AAP recommendations for RFing longer at all. I wonder if they word it that way to keep parents from using a seatbelt only too early. Anyway, I think I'll do a bit more research on the RSTV. I'm hopeful though that it will become part of our restraint collection. I know it would be useful for us!

leighi123

didnt read everyone's replys, but I would bring the snugride as a carry on, it fits in the overhead bin (put it in upsidedown)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC