Booster for 3 almost 4 year old

tl01

A friend of mine is asking me what booster she should get for usage in her mom's car. Her mom can no longer undo the 5 pt harness button due to arthritis. I asked this a while ago and we found a temporary solution. I'm waiting to find out how much she weighs now. The little girl is 3 and will be 4 in April. She is in her mom's car a few times a week. She's about 37 lbs and 41 inches tall. Would you say a turbo booster? I've been through the booster isn't a good option for such a young child speech.

ADS

firemomof3

Well, since you've already given the "no child this young should EVER be in a booster" speech then I would say the Britax Parkway SG to prevent this child from submarining. The TB is a great booster that does fit smaller kids well but at 3y/o the child runs a very high risk of just sliding right out and under the seat belt.

tl01

Is there any device that makes undoing the button easier? Would be great is the arthritis foundation could come up with something like that.

brightredmtn

Has the grandmother tried to undo the buckle on a GN? There was a post here before from a man with arthritis and the man was able to undo the Graco buckle since it goes down and not in like all others.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
My kids undo their own buttons w/ toys or seatbelt buckles or pencils, lol. They just hold them and stick them into the buckle. It doesn't work as well on the GN since it has that funny buckle, but Evan gets himself out of his XT.

I thought there were some safety vests that zipped? I was thinking it might be easier to release than a carseat buckle though?

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
What about the button on the Graco Nautilus? You push it down, not in. The different motion might make it easier for her.

Susan

tl01

What about the button on the Graco Nautilus? You push it down, not in. The different motion might make it easier for her.

Susan

You're probably right... I haven't used a vest, just assumed it would have buttons.

tl01

My kids undo their own buttons w/ toys or seatbelt buckles or pencils, lol. They just hold them and stick them into the buckle. It doesn't work as well on the GN since it has that funny buckle, but Evan gets himself out of his XT.

I thought there were some safety vests that zipped? I was thinking it might be easier to release than a carseat buckle though?

Looks like the RSTV has buttons on it:(

littleangelfire

I seem to remember a while back someone posting that their family member with arthritis used a spoon to push down the buttons. They couldn't do it with fingers alone, but kept a spoon in the car and used the eating part to push the button. The spoon handle gave the leverage they needed to get the button down.

tl01

I seem to remember a while back someone posting that their family member with arthritis used a spoon to push down the buttons. They couldn't do it with fingers alone, but kept a spoon in the car and used the eating part to push the button. The spoon handle gave the leverage they needed to get the button down.

Thanks... I'll suggest that. I also just e mailed her to see about the Nauti.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Dd was 3.5 when she goit her nauti, and was able to buckle and unbuckle it herself within just a couple weeks. Many other kids of that same age range can buckle ti themselves, I woudl look into that option.

Auburn

When I injured my thumb pretty badly I used a thick marker with a few rubber bands wrapped around the end (to keep it from slipping around as I pushed down) to open it. Then I lost that one day and rummaged around my kitchen and grabbed this wine bottle stopper that worked perfectly for the same purpose. It had a rubber end (the part that would seal up the bottle) so it didn't slip around and the top was nice and thick and wide so easy to grip with the palm of my hand so I could use the strength from my arm to push in instead of having to use my hand too much. It looked kind of like this one:

Wine-stopper-is-a-sturdy-rubbe-4932881.jpg

I remember thinking at the time that it stunk that there wasn't any device specifically to make that easier. There are so many older people with arthritis that have that same issue. My dad has arthritis and I'm not sure he could do it either but when he's out with my son my mom is always with him. I've heard it is an issue from several people who have parents and grandparents who care for their kids.

If I were her, before buying another seat, I think I would make a trip to the hardware store, bring the seat in and try to find a helpful clerk that would let you just try a whole bunch of options until you find something that works. You know how men love to fiddle with stuff and find solutions to problems like that!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Dd was 3.5 when she goit her nauti, and was able to buckle and unbuckle it herself within just a couple weeks. Many other kids of that same age range can buckle ti themselves, I woudl look into that option.

AJ can't get himself out of his GN, it's a blessing and a curse, lol. Evan can get out of his XT though and quickly, grrr.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC