Darren was on the Today Show!!!

ADS

Simplysomething

Oh, how nifty. :)

Any increase in traffic since the story?

And, on the not recommended list...are a bunch of them the same seat with different names (the cosco/safety1st/dorel/eddie bauer/random banana 3 and 1's)?

Oh, yeah:
Dorel Juvenile Group, the largest US children's gear distributor, makes 7 of the boosters that aren't recommended. Dorel seats sell under the names Cosco, Dorel, Eddie Bauer, Maxi-Cosi, and Safety 1st.

celtic1885

WAY TO GO DARREN!!!!!

I agree with Technogranola that it seemed rushed.........

should I admit here that I used to have the EB 3-1 :duck: ....that would be before I found this board.....

tweetykl

Ok, now I am frustrated that I posted the IIHS article on FB. My friend then wrote.
Thanks for the info. It looks like Benny's current carseat is on the not recommended list. Luckily we do not use it a a booster yet as he does not meet the weight limit. Looks like he will be getting a new booster seat for his birthday next year (or sooner if he puts on weight.)
Her kiddo is 2 and is only 24 lbs. What is the rush people?????

I of course responsded with
a Graco Nautilus would be a great seat for him. It could easily keep him harnessed to 5! Then is a great booster too. You can find them on sale for $150 or less. I know some people found some on sale at Target for $60.
because she is so money conscious. Then added:
Just checked, Walmart has them for $144 and it has a nine year lifespan for the booster portion so it will last him the rest of his booster time.

Here is a great article that describes booster readiness. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=370859
I know the lifespan is the lbb but that would get her interested I hope.

Darren - Great job!

Car-seat.org - Thank you for having awesome links that I can send to my friends. The "Ready for Booster?" article is wonderful!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Traffic seems about normal for a Tuesday, but I'll know for sure tomorrow. Plus, people may be starting to leave for vacations and that might subtract from what would otherwise have been a nice bump.

Funny thing is, I thought they were coming out to just do a video clip on proper use of boosters. I didn't realize it was going to be a sit-down interview. It was a little disconcerting to be interviewed by a speakerphone, but you don't realize it in the video lol. My "technical advisor" (one of the lead instructors for the area) was holding the phone up so I could hear it. I wasn't supposed to look directly at the camera, either, so I had to concentrate not to do that, too.

I really emphasized proper fit of each child in their own vehicle during the interview. Of all the segments they could have used over the 5 minute interview, the one they picked was certainly reasonable enough. I also never really said that even booster seats that do not get the top safety recommendation can still protect kids in a crash, as you might infer from the voice over. I do tend to agree with that comment, though.

The Bjorns

Awesome job, Darren!!!:thumbsup:

Boo on Meredith for the 3 yr old comment!:thumbsdown:

I saw a similar piece on ABC's Good Morning America this morning http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/ and they actually had a Frontier to show the comparison that harnessing is much safer than a booster. However, the chest clip was so loose that I wound up yelling at the television and had to explain to my girls why mommy was mad at the TV.:rolleyes: The reporter's rationale as to why the harness seat was safer is that the booster wasn't attached to the car so it moved around. The "jumbo sized" car seat like toddlers use didn't move around. Obviously that's why she thought it was safer. Then she stuck her hand under the chest clip and I just about died.

littleangelfire

Awesome job, Darren!!!:thumbsup:

Boo on Meredith for the 3 yr old comment!:thumbsdown:

I saw a similar piece on ABC's Good Morning America this morning http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/ and they actually had a Frontier to show the comparison that harnessing is much safer than a booster. However, the chest clip was so loose that I wound up yelling at the television and had to explain to my girls why mommy was mad at the TV.:rolleyes: The reporter's rationale as to why the harness seat was safer is that the booster wasn't attached to the car so it moved around. The "jumbo sized" car seat like toddlers use didn't move around. Obviously that's why she thought it was safer. Then she stuck her hand under the chest clip and I just about died.

Watched the GMA piece - interesting. Like that she brought up the harness option. Her reasoning though, is funny. :p Somehow I thought harnesses were safer b/c they spread out crash forces through 5 points instead of 3. But that's just me.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Great job! I wanted to get Meredith though when she was talking about the fit of the booster and fitting some 3 year olds. I really like that they used the EB and showed why. I am going to linking and using this as great supporting data for my friend using the EB 3 in 1.

Yes, but didn't she also say some 10 year olds might still need a booster. So many people do not realize there are harnessed seats that fit 40 pound 3 year olds, so I have to let that one go;) My niece is over 40 pounds at 3.5, and I am not sure her parents got her a properly fitting harnessed seat. I just hope they at least got her a properly fitting booster seat.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Turns out traffic was solid for a Tuesday, but no significant increase over normal. I suspect any bump from the IIHS news was offset by the typical lower traffic seen over holiday breaks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC