News New booster ratings: 9 best bets & 6 good bets; 11 out of 60 seats evaluated aren't recommended

ADS

Maedze

I have noticed that it makes a great fit for kids who are too big for the harnessed portion of the seat.

For kids who can still fit in the harness, it can make anywhere from a poor to a good fit on the child, depending on body type.

Anne

I have noticed that it makes a great fit for kids who are too big for the harnessed portion of the seat.

For kids who can still fit in the harness, it can make anywhere from a poor to a good fit on the child, depending on body type.

That's where I think testing on real kids might have given different results (though I don't know how feasible it would be). Then there might be a pattern of poor fit until a certain size and then after that point, it would rank as a good booster. Such ratings might also help parents keep their kids in the harness until a more appropriate age/size. If they see their seat isn't rated as good in booster mode until the child is xx lbs and x'xx", they may be more likely to keep their child harnessed to that point. Better to have a child ready for a booster in one of the slightly lower rated seats than a 3 year old boostered in one of the best bets. Though fit should be looked at for each individual seat and child, many parents won't see past the seat's overall ranking.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Nautilus was the main one I was thinking of. It's on my short list of combo seats that I recommend, specifically if someone's looking for a booster for a young child. It's easily accessed since they have it at walmart, decent price and has the high harness limit. But if it's not going to fit a lot of kids well in booster mode, then I don't know if I want to throw it out there to parents who may or may not actually check the fit of the belt.

I've always heard the Nauti was a pretty good fit. I wonder how big of a difference it makes using the dummy's compared to actual kids. I also wonder why they use the dummy's for a fit comparison. For something like this, they could be using real kids in a range of ages and sizes. It seems like this would give a better indication of how well the seat really fits kids.

It fits bigger kids ok, but some smaller kids, including the big full color picture of the model child on the box, it does NOT fit well at all, the lapbelt rides really high on the abdomen. Then again, it's not as bad as the Dorel/Evenflo Combos (excluding the Apex and Maestro which are fine lapbelt fit). Given the fairly tight crotch strap and short harness straps (that people can't get onto their kids in coats, which they should remove, but they don't), I think people will use this seat as a booster fairly young, which could be a problem.

TnT's Mom

One point I made in my interview that was omitted: checking the fit in each vehicle is important because seats and seatbelts vary a lot. Some have shoulder belts that come out of the ceiling, others from the pillar, some on the seat back itself. Lap belts might come from very low on the floor to way up on a long stalk sticking out of the seat. The vehicle seats themselves vary, too. A booster that fits well in one of your vehicles could fit poorly on the same child in your other vehicle. Shoulder belts also affect whether the belt can "catch" in the guide on some high back boosters. Depending on the design of the shoulder belt and the angle and position of the guide in the booster, it makes a difference.

It's too bad this point was omitted because it is so true. My oldest son rides in a Compass B510 in my car (Volvo XC70) and it fits him great even though he isn't a big kid and I know that the Compass isn't a favorite for smaller kids. However, it fits him terribly in my husband's company car (Ford Edge). The way the shoulder belt comes out of the vehicle makes it all wonky going through the belt guide and then it fits him poorly in the lap portion.

It is for this very reason (boosters fitting differently on the same kid if used in different cars that we have several HBB's). That way I have a better chance of getting a good fit for my DS in other people's vehicles.

Maedze

vamom

Josef is 44", 44lbs and has outgrown the GN in harness mode, and *just* turned six two weeks ago. The fit for him in the GN was horrible :thumbsdown: even before he officially outgrew the GN.

See my ds is just turned 7, 51#s, 50" and still has some time left in his nauty that he loves. Goes to show teh variablity in kids!

Same kid made it to 4.5 in his eta that we loved.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
jools, maedze...there is no pic of a lapbelt riding up when i go to that link. There is juust a pic of the seat itself.???? I'd love to see how a lap belt could ride up in a tb...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC