Add me to the list of "just got off the phone with recaro" people

southpawboston

as a followup to these two threads by lovinwaves and jarylan:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=10110

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=10844

i spoke with a very friendly and honest-sounding rep from recaro today, and picked her brains about the new convertible. she confirmed what had been mentioned previously by lovinwaves and jarylan, specifically:

- 5lb-35lb RF, and 70lb FF limits
- TSIP
- 19" top slots
- built-in height adjustable TSIP on higher end model
- non-adjustable TSIP on cheaper version
- cheaper version will sell for $219, higher end version for $259

she also told me the following:

- RF TETHERABLE <--- w00t!
- about 25lb total weight
- designed specifically for US/canada markets (won't be sold in europe)
- higher end model will have a "luxurious" microfibre cover
- cheaper model will have a "durable" non-microfibre cover
- new cover colors, including a "girly" pattern (i'm sure the recaro engineers are cringing over this :p ... must be that north american market thing :rolleyes: )

a few questions she didn't know the answers to, but will be asking one of their engineers about on monday (he wasn't there today) and hopefully getting back to me with, are:

- overall dimensions
- multiple crotch positions
- whether it uses a permanent or removable base for RF/FF
- whether it has multiple recline angles
- whether the adjustable TSIP will adjust automatically with the harness (a la BV) or if you have to adjust them independently (a la YS)
- the NAME of this beast!

lastly, the seat is still in development/prototype stage, and not all the specs are etched in stone yet... BUT it should hit shelves by early may, as mentioned before.

ADS

mamato2

Re: Add me to the list of "just got off the phone with recaro"

It sounds like an amazing seat!!! Too bad I don't need a convertible seat :( .
I guess I could always just use it ff though!!! I could get one for my 5yr old and let the 9 yr old keep her Huskys!!!! Yeah, that will work.....maybe.
C.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
This sounds great!!!! I wonder if this is the seat to buy for my new niece/nephew. Even if he/she can't use it after the Snugride, my older niece could use the Recaro and the new baby could use my older niece's Marathon. MAybe...

scatterbunny

Sounds totally awesome! (There, you now all know I am a true valley girl at heart :p )

I worry that it won't be out in 3.5 months like they say, though. Still in the development/prototype stage? I've gotten my hopes up about other seats in the past that took way longer to hit the shelves than first anticipated/talked about.

I hope it's true, though! If it's narrow enough it might work in Mark's truck in the middle, so we can all safely use it as a family again!

Simplysomething

For some reason I thought that it took much longer to design and test things, than may would be. How long does it generally take for a carseat to go from design to market, I wonder?

Do you think the only difference between the two versions would be the cover? Oh, and the adjustible TSIP? I don't even understand how that works! Sounds like it would be a very interesting seat. :)

LuvBug

if they follow the footsteps of most other companies it will be after may before it is released. If they are still working on the prototype and not in actual current production(as in all is said and done and they are being made and prepared for distributing).

southpawboston

yeah, i was a little worried when she told me it was still in dvelopment... but she did say that any changes would be minor, so it's possible the crash testing has already been done and it's just a matter of trivial things like covers?

she did say that it was still right on target for a may release...

on the other hand, she told me the infant seat they are also releasing this year has been delayed; that won't be out until november... and there was very little she knew about it.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
on the other hand, she told me the infant seat they are also releasing this year has been delayed; that won't be out until november... and there was very little she knew about it.

I wonder if this is because the infant seat has been put on hold in order to get this other seat out there and deal with the demand of hwh seats right now. As much as I know they're going to fly off the shelves and be backordered, etc., and I may be the one of the ones waiting, it really is a good thing. Or so I keep telling myself. :p

southpawboston

the only thing i do know about the upcoming infant seat is that it will be good for 30lb... which makes me wonder if it will be larger than most 22lb-limit infant seats...

TheQueenMother

Re: the harness height, isn't the top height the same as a MA? I was hoping to get my 5 y/o one of these because she has outgrown her MA in height but is only 50lbs.
Thanks
Amanda

Morganthe

the only thing i do know about the upcoming infant seat is that it will be good for 30lb... which makes me wonder if it will be larger than most 22lb-limit infant seats...

There was a version of an infant seat I saw in a German store a couple of years ago, that was adjustable depthwise. As the baby grew, the adjustable area where the back & seat met pulled further into the bucket shell. Increasing the "V" shape from flat to a chair shape. I hope that made sense.
I'd never seen anything since. I can't remember the brand, not Roemer or Peg), but it was up to 11 kg & didn't look any larger than the standard 9kg carrier. Perhaps they're styling this similar. :confused:

Dillipop

It depends on how they go with the carrier. I've heard the 30 pound chicco will have the same size shell as the 22 pound one. Meaning a heavy child will fit longer, not necessarily a tall child. The safeseat is larger than the snugride, but not really by that much. It will definitely get the majority of kids close to a year in it. My guy is almost 20 pounds and when I tried him in the snugride at walmart, he had just over an inch above his head. In the safeseat, he has a good 3-4 inches. It fits well in small vehicles. I have mine in my 05 elantra and we have plenty of room in the seat in front of it. My sister has one in her 2 door 95 civic behind the driver and has no problems. If recaro designs their 30 pound carrier like the safeseat, it will actually be a pretty nice size. I can't imagine them going much bigger, since it is intended to be a carrier, too, and who wants to carry a heavy carrier. The bigger it is, the heavier it will be, so they will want to keep it compact.

Sorry to ramble for so long...

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I think it would be great if it was about the same size as the SafeSeat1!! The SS1 is big, but not too big to be carried. It is a great size! I hope the Recaro seat is similar.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
lol, i can actually justify the new recaro convertible as isadora's 1st birthday gift, if it actually does become available by mid-june. :)

I'm really hoping it will be available this summer. That way, I can wait to see what you all think of it. :p ;) If you guys love it, I will try to convince my SIL to get one to use for my older niece so that the younger baby (niece/nephew?) can use the older child's Marathon. Even if she has to go on a waiting list this summer, I am thinking she will hopefully be able to get one by the time she needs it (10-12 months from now). :)

Splash

I wish they were out now, I'd swap these Boulevards for one. As it is I have NO CLUE what seat to get.

BudgieStew

Wow..I would so get this for DS as his primary seat(when it arrives in Canada of course) Oh DH is just going to love this:rolleyes: TSIP is what sells it to me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC