How close to the limits?

abigaylebelle

I have ds rf in a roundabout. I measured the distance from the top of his head to the top of the plastic shell at 2.5". Every time I put him in the seat I worry a little about the space over his head, probably because he has 4" of afro on the top of his head. Is 2.5" enough to last a few more months? Should I start shopping for something else?
Stats: age 2y8m 28lbs/35.5"/11.5" torso/BIG head

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd love to see a picture of that, most kids are way too tall for the RA at this age. You're sure it's a Roundabout? (Dumb question, I know, but it does look awfully similar to the Marathon, and the growing room you're describing sounds a lot more like the Marathon)

urchin_grey

My nephew is just a bit younger and he's had pretty much the same amount of space over his head in his Scenera all year. He's gained *maybe* 1/4in in torso height (or maybe his head? LOL) but he's grown 2in overall. DS hasn't grown in height at ALL for like 9 months. He's older though.

Anyway, the point is, it could take him quite some time to gain 2in in the torso.

abigaylebelle

Oh it's a roundabout. He's still on the bottom slots rf. I took a pic of him in there last week. You can see his hair poofing up his hood, his head is about level with that tag. I took a measuring tape and put it straight up the back of the shell from his head, it said 2.5". An inch just seems like hardly any room to me.:shrug-shoulders:

Last edited:

NannyMom

2.5 inches could take him a long time to grow, or just a few months. My DD went from having 3 inches above her head, to barely 1.5 in a couple months. I'd hoped that 3 inches would last her at least another year.

urchin_grey

Oh it's a roundabout. He's still on the bottom slots rf. I took a pic of him in there last week. You can see his hair poofing up his hood, his head is about level with that tag. I took a measuring tape and put it straight up the back of the shell from his head, it said 2.5". An inch just seems like hardly any room to me.:shrug-shoulders:

It really just depends. My DS tends to stay the same size for most of the year and then suddenly grow all at once. He jumped from 31 to 33in pretty quick but he's been at 33 for 9+ months now. So I'm expecting he'll have another growth spurt in the spring again.

My nephew, on the other hand, had a huge growth spurt around May. This is him last spring.

DSCN5251.jpg

He now has exactly 3 inches of shell over his head in the Scenera and his shoulders are a good bit over those slots. BUT he hasn't grown any since that grown spurt. We were freaked out when all of a sudden he had 2 inches of room to grow and I was prepared to have to lend my sister our TF to keep him RF'ing until she could get another seat. Its been at least 6 months though and he still fits the same. I'll give it another few months, tops before he has another growth spurt though. Good thing my sister is getting an XTSL for Christmas. He's 33+lbs clothed anyway, so he's close by weight too.

2BunniesMommy

Wow, what a tiny torsoed little man! My 14 mo old is about the same place as your DS, counting his hood and poof of hair. I need to measure but haven't yet. I would guess she has 1.5-2 inches above her head. It is getting to where I am getting a little uncomfortable with it, even though I know there is more than 1 inch. I agree that 1 inch doesn't seem like much! He must be all legs and my DD all torso. She is on the second slots but her feet just barely touch the seatback but your guy's legs are bent a lot and his head is not really as close to the top as hers. Just interesting how bodies are...

Anyway, he still has a decent amount of growing room!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
*BIGEYES*
Where do you guys buy these tiny torsoed children?
seriously, I wanna know!

OP - are you going to buy him a bigger seat to continue RFing in, or will you flip him when he outgrows it?
If you are going to buy another seat anyway, there is certainly no reason NOT to do it now, and put that much more shell over his head. IT's what *I* would do, personally. But, given how much room you have left, it's certainly possible you won't need another seat to RF in, so if you aren't buying another convertible seat, you just have to get used to how itlooks, Iguess.
I am a little tickled thinking about how long that kid could RF in a new Rnxtsl. lol.

urchin_grey

*BIGEYES*
seriously, I wanna know!

From the My SO is 5'7" Store. :ROTFLMAO: DS has some other issues too though that also effect his size. Those "height predictor" thingies online say that his adult height will be about 5 feet tall. :eek: He'll probably always need a booster!

abigaylebelle

*BIGEYES*
seriously, I wanna know!

OP - are you going to buy him a bigger seat to continue RFing in, or will you flip him when he outgrows it?
If you are going to buy another seat anyway, there is certainly no reason NOT to do it now, and put that much more shell over his head. IT's what *I* would do, personally. But, given how much room you have left, it's certainly possible you won't need another seat to RF in, so if you aren't buying another convertible seat, you just have to get used to how itlooks, Iguess.
I am a little tickled thinking about how long that kid could RF in a new Rnxtsl. lol.

I'll probably buy him another seat to rf in. He'll need it anyway since he's pretty much too heavy for his back up ss1 and his other seat stays with grandparents. We tried a radian xtsl but I sold it because it didn't work well in my car. I just need to figure out what I want to get next. I'm glad he can still use the ra though because it has a plethora of cute covers and I like to mix them up. :)

abigaylebelle

Wow, what a tiny torsoed little man! My 14 mo old is about the same place as your DS, counting his hood and poof of hair. I need to measure but haven't yet. I would guess she has 1.5-2 inches above her head. It is getting to where I am getting a little uncomfortable with it, even though I know there is more than 1 inch. I agree that 1 inch doesn't seem like much! He must be all legs and my DD all torso. She is on the second slots but her feet just barely touch the seatback but your guy's legs are bent a lot and his head is not really as close to the top as hers. Just interesting how bodies are...

Anyway, he still has a decent amount of growing room!
Yeah he definitely has different proportions than his friends at preschool. He always outgrows his pants before his shirts. As for the one inch rule, I don't know if I can go right up to it but I'll see how much closer he can get before it freaks me out and I buy another seat.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
From the My SO is 5'7" Store. :ROTFLMAO: DS has some other issues too though that also effect his size. Those "height predictor" thingies online say that his adult height will be about 5 feet tall. :eek: He'll probably always need a booster!

*sputters*..but, but...but.....I bought MY dh from that very same store!!!!:cool:

Yep, I'm 5 feet even, dh is ..well, he claims 5' 8", but he exaggerates, lol, and yet? giant children. Out of nowhere. :rolleyes:

AtTheSouthDam

Where as I am 5'9" and DH is nearly 6' and DD2 is 3.5 years with a 12.5" torso. I think the torso thing is random :p

The down side is with tiny torsoed children there in no real excuse to get more seats but SOOOO many they would fit in!

urchin_grey

*sputters*..but, but...but.....I bought MY dh from that very same store!!!!:cool:

Yep, I'm 5 feet even, dh is ..well, he claims 5' 8", but he exaggerates, lol, and yet? giant children. Out of nowhere. :rolleyes:

Gah, well see, I'm 5'10". :cool: But apparently I didn't pass that gene down.

Where as I am 5'9" and DH is nearly 6' and DD2 is 3.5 years with a 12.5" torso. I think the torso thing is random :p

The down side is with tiny torsoed children there in no real excuse to get more seats but SOOOO many they would fit in!

I know! I want a Flora XTSL soooo bad but what do I really need that for when I have a 25lb kid that fits perfectly fine in his TF?? I'm trying to put weight on the kid anyway just because he's tiny, but the bonus would be a new seat. :cool: If only I could get him to gain 7 or so pounds, then I'd *have* to get the higher weight limit seat, right? :whistle: There's probably not much hope in that any time soon though, even on Pedia Smart.

Judi's DH

Senior Community Member
Oh wow, you do have plenty of room. Very cool, thanks for sharing :)

I vote go window shopping any way you don't have to buy one now and when it's time you will know exactly what you want .

There now you have permission to shop and who doesn't like to shop! :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC