Why not booster a 42lb 3 yr old?

L

LuciaBella

I need some studies and/or research to convince mom to buy a nautilus or maestro for little O. She works in research and told me to find things to convince her otherwise. She claims he passes the 5 point test that NHTSA has on their site. He is boostered in a dorel FF only seat (up to 40lbs), in the booster mode.

I watch him 3 days a week and have come to the conclusion that he is not mature enough to handle the responsibilities of a booster. He still is RF in my car and frequently unbuckles his chest clip when we are stopped (because he thinks we are parked). I have told him he cannot unbuckle himself ever, that is my job, yet he still does it sometimes. (He's only 3!)

Basically, I don't want to scare her by showing her KDM things because thats not necessary. She's very smart so research will do fine.
Thanks!

ADS

Maedze

Well, you can start with the IIHS booster study showing that that PARTICULAR booster is bad. http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/default.html

As for studies on age, ugh, I'm not sure an official study has been done. It's more about maturity. A three year old doesn't have the maturity to sit in a booster by himself. Ask him if she would leave her three year old at the edge of a pool by himself, and then go do something that required her full attention that she couldn't just *stop* at a moment's notice?

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
The 5 Step test is for if a child is ready to move OUT of a booster, not move into a booster.

What about research on the cognitive demand that is required of a child to sit properly the ENTIRE ride? I don't know if that exists though.

Papooses had a really good site that might be helpful. My internet is super slow tonight, otherwise I would find it for you. It used to be in her siggy...you should be able to access it through the member listing.

Susan

ed_tricia

More questions for her to consider: What would he do if a toy fell on the floor? Would he lean over, possibly putting the shoulder belt behind to try to reach? Does he ever fall asleep in the car still? Does he turn out of position or scooch up or down in the seat to see something neat or avoid something?
My daughter will be 4 next month and I think she'd fail all of those, which is why I thought of them. She will definitely be harnessed for quite a while still! I personally avoid the videos-some people need that shock value, but my imagination of what could be is more than sufficient.

Evolily

Honestly, you might not win the harness argument- she wants hard data, and there is a lack of it (especially if she considers size over physical/emotional maturity). But you CAN win the "AIO makes a horrible booster" argument. I'd make my goal to get him harnessed, but in lew of that try to get him into a highback turbobooster. :twocents:

Morganthe

He's Three. :shrug-shoulders:

Sure, his size qualifies him for a booster, however, the differences between him and a 5 year old (which is when my dd was 42lbs) for self control & safety awareness is huge. She occasionally sat in a booster, but her primary seat is still her Regent.
It's also more of a PITA to buckle in a booster seat than a 5pt harness, ime, especially one that's not secured to the vehicle via LATCH. I still haven't managed the combination of wiggly child, moving seat base, & getting everything safely snug together.

Don't need any official stats, in my opinion, it's common sense which is safer for a child that young to sit in full time. As an adult, someone should be able to easily tell the difference with a locked 5pt harness & a flexible 3pt seatbelt designed for adults. :rolleyes:
Especially when one considers the huge amount of verbal repetition to do ANYTHING that someone wants a 3 year old to do. :whistle:
Sit still, sit up, Don't play with your seatbelt -- DON"T hit the shiny red button!! :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC