explaining problems with after market products

aisraeltax

a friend of mine asked me today what the problem with after marked products are? she has a custom made car seat cover and a JCole (?) infant seat winter insert (dont know what they are called).
i tried to explain teh best i could, but i dont think i sounded convincing.

can someone please help me make a more coherent argument than i did? lol!

tia

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The biggest problem with the jj cold bundle me is that it routes the harness straps funny... instead of coming out horizontally, the straps are forced to twist so they are vertical to go through the bundle me. The width of the fabric is too wide in the back to sit flat with the straps flat on the shoulders, so they either end up twisted, or not tightened up - or else baby ends up with a bunch of fabric bunched behind the back... definitely not comfortable.

In addition to that, in most seats it also results in the hip straps going up to come through the slits placed for them. So they go up to get through the hole, then back down to go over the hips and be buckled. This obviously puts a lot of bulk between the child and the strap and results in either a harness that is miles too loose, or a screaming baby who is horribly uncomfortable.

Then you have the padding factor on top of that... add them all together and you have a high likelihood that the straps are miles too loose and extra padding behind the baby that is likely to compress.. end result = greatly increased risk of baby being ejected from the seat. Not to mention the twisty straps that result from the straps being turned within the slots of the seat. :(

Custom carseat cover is usually an issue with slots not lining up perfectly.

If it helps any, you can tell her you know somebody who lives in Canada and went through a winter with a premature baby with just a popover shower cover despite -30 and -35 (celcius) temperatures. And sometimes he was sweaty when I got him out of his seat. Most people overdress their babies to begin with, and I know if I was a baby, I wouldn't want to be trapped inside a hot and sweaty bundle bag in stores and again in a warm car. Nobody in their right mind would cheerfully sit in a sleeping bag inside their house... babies don't like it either.

You didn't mention other after market products, but my approach to them is that they are generally added by parents to try and fix a problem. If you correct what the problem is, the need for the aftermarket product goes away. :thumbsup:

Often times just removing the bundle bag and buckling the baby in and tightening the harness up is enough for a parent to see the difference and keep the bundle me out. I've found in cases where parents are resistant to the idea, that that approach has always worked. Sometimes seeing is believing...

eta: Above and beyond the reasons mentioned, the aftermarket products weren't tested with the carseat and in many cases carseat manufacturers specifically prohibit their use. In choosing to use one, your friend is essentially choosing to waive the manufacturer of the carseat from all liability if her kid had something happen in a collision.

LM4M

CPST Instructor
Alright, nobody hit me please :duck: But is a custom carseat cover really horrible? I know it's not from the manufacturer, and therefore not recommended... but is it really that bad? I had one when DD6yrs was a baby when she was in her bucket seat... never gave it another thought since then. But I just have to wonder if it really would interfere with the intergrity of the seat. :confused:

Pixels

There's the aforementioned slots-not-lining-up issue with custom covers, the potential that the custom cover is too thick (padded, puffy, like a bundle me), and the fact that custom covers aren't covered by the FMVSS 213 testing. Yes, covers are specifically tested for flame retardancy. Also, there's the airbag warning label for infant seats and convertibles.

There's also been a few recalls caused by covers that didn't cover adequately enough to keep little fingers away from the foam. Kids can break off pieces of the foam, possibly causing a choking hazard.

Maedze

Alright, nobody hit me please :duck: But is a custom carseat cover really horrible? I know it's not from the manufacturer, and therefore not recommended... but is it really that bad? I had one when DD6yrs was a baby when she was in her bucket seat... never gave it another thought since then. But I just have to wonder if it really would interfere with the intergrity of the seat. :confused:

I will concede it would be conceivable that a talented tailor could custom-make a cover that fit a specific seat exactly, at the exact specifications of the original cover.

However, the covers that are available to buy are often off a generic pattern and DON'T fit specific seats well.

There is also the whole anti-flambe thing, but personally that doesn't phase me much. I wash my covers to get RID of that stuff.

lil.miss32

Also, just a thought... But if you live in a state that has a law like, "must be used according to manufacturer's specifications" and the manual specifically says "no aftermarket products" then you are actually breaking the law. I don't know what kind, if any, trouble you could get into with that... But like I said, just a thought.

Mae

This thread will probably change your view. Yes, it's really that bad. I personally wouldn't be trying to rid of the anti-flammable chemicals. :twocents: (Not starting a debate, simply saying that I Personally wouldn't.)

More of the previous thread.

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC