My 3 across in DHs new truck!

firemomof3

So DH finally found a used 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab and he got rid of his Jeep :D:thumbsup:
The backseat is awsome and I'm so excited :love: I have:
Oobr-latched GN-seatbelt install/tethered YS-latched/tethered
The space in between the Oobr and GN is a little tight but I don't think it'll be an issue. The GN does hang over about 4-5" but as long as 70% of its on the vehicle seat its OK right?
Oh, and my Maestro finally came in! Pics & review tomorrow :D

3acrosstruck010.jpg

ADS

Maedze

Unfortunately, no. The Graco Nautilus does not allow ANY overhang at all. Some seats allow up to 20% overhang (not 30%), but 100% of the Nautilus must be on the seat :eek:

Maedze

There are also tether anchors behind all three rear seating positions. You must route the tether through the tab behind it and then hook it on to the adjacent hook. So the Nautilus would be tethered behind the YS and vice versa.

britfish

There are also tether anchors behind all three rear seating positions. You must route the tether through the tab behind it and then hook it on to the adjacent hook. So the Nautilus would be tethered behind the YS and vice versa.

uh-oh, I have to check in DH's truck, I think I tethered directly behind the seat:confused:

firemomof3

Thank you SO much Maedze! I did tether both seats incorrectly then! I'll try switching the YS and the GN to see if I can get less than 20% (;)) overhang with the YS.
The tether thing sounds confusing :confused: I keep reading what you wrote over and over...I can't picture it :eek:

firemomof3

OK, here we go with try #2 :p
The YS had too much overhand in the middle seat so that won't work. The middle seat is very short :mad: And I posted pics. of how I interpreted your instructions for tethering, do I have it right? And should I put the Radian in the middle or the Parkway?
ramissues004.jpg

ramissues006.jpg

This picture is drivers side outboard
ramissues002.jpg

ramissues001.jpg

Maedze

Yup, you've got the tethering right :) Looks like you've got more than 80% on the base with the Radian and (monterey, right?)

firemomof3

Thanks everyone :love:
Ok, so I got my Radian rf with a seatbelt install (easy peasy!) and tethered! So ds can be rf in his Radian flanked by his sister :rolleyes: DD2 will be in the GN which is installed with 100% of it on the vehicle seat ;) and tethered that weird way. And DD1 will be in her Oobr latched.
Boy, I can't see how anyone would have figured out that tethering! Hey :bow: Maedze
radianintruck001.jpg

thepote

Does anyone know why some trucks are tethered like that?
From hanging around here, I have it in my head that truck install might equal weird tethering, but if anyone asked me why I wouldn't know what to say.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Does anyone know why some trucks are tethered like that?
From hanging around here, I have it in my head that truck install might equal weird tethering, but if anyone asked me why I wouldn't know what to say.

I think it's in order for the forces to be distributed along the tether a little more, but that's pure speculation. The engineers know what they're doing, though. :) There's no room for traditional tether points, so they came up with what works!

thepote

I think it's in order for the forces to be distributed along the tether a little more, but that's pure speculation. The engineers know what they're doing, though. :) There's no room for traditional tether points, so they came up with what works!

Hmmm... in my DHs Hyundai sedan, with any tall shell car seat I cannot get the tether tight enough because the most tightened the tether goes is still too long. Same idea?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Kind of. There's a study somewhere showing that tethers performed better when they were connected over more than a certain distance. If you do a search you might be able to find it...

thepote

I looked around... never got a clear answer, but from the way the FMVSS stuff is worded, it seems that the truck anchors are out of some acceptable "zone" and by using the "tether strap routing device" the anchor may be located out of the zone:

S6.2.1.2 In the case of a vehicle that-

(a) Has a user-ready tether anchorage for which no part of the shaded zone shown in Figures 3 to 7 of this standard of the designated seating position for which the anchorage is installed is accessible without removing a seating component of the vehicle; and

(b) Has a tether strap routing device that is-

(1) Not less than 65 mm behind the torso line for that seating position, in the case of a flexible routing device or a deployable routing device, measured horizontally and in a vertical longitudinal plane; or

(2) Not less than 100 mm behind the torso line for that seating position, in the case of a fixed rigid routing device, measured horizontally and in a vertical longitudinal plane,

the part of that anchorage that attaches to a tether hook may, at the manufacturer's option (with said option selected prior to, or at the time of, certification of the vehicle) be located outside that zone.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/Cars/rules/rulings/UCRA-OMB-J08/FinalRule.html

britfish

firemom, did you try your radian FF in the center position? I just bought a Radian and am hoping to ue it there so any hints or tips would be great!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC