Question Any information requested on Cosco Commuter/Ventura

C

clitamarie

I just bought a car seat from Wal Mart last night but I can't find any information about it on the internet. It is a Cosco Commuter Ventura High Back Booster, model number 22253-tss, manufactured on 08/12/2009. I've checked the Cosco website and the djgusa.com website and there is nothing on either site. I'm looking for any useful information i.e. rating/review etc. Thanks

ADS

Maedze

Welcome to C-S.org

Unfortunately, that's probably one of the 'worst' seats on the market in terms of usability :eek:

It has such low top slots than any child who actually fits in it by height (shoulders must be under the top slots) really should still be rear facing. It only has a 40 pound weight limit on the harness, and most kids will outgrow it by their third birthday. There is no EPS foam in the shell, and it makes an absolutely horrible, unsafe booster when the harness is outgrown. There's really nothing to recommend it.

If you give us the age of your child, his/her size, the vehicle you drive and your budget we can point you in substantially better directions :)

steph_s

Unfortunately, that's probably one of the 'worst' seats on the market in terms of usability

It has such low top slots than any child who actually fits in it by height (shoulders must be under the top slots) really should still be rear facing. It only has a 40 pound weight limit on the harness, and most kids will outgrow it by their third birthday. There is no EPS foam in the shell, and it makes an absolutely horrible, unsafe booster when the harness is outgrown. There's really nothing to recommend it.

If you give us the age of your child, his/her size, the vehicle you drive and your budget we can point you in substantially better directions

:yeahthat:

I too have nothing good to say about that seat. It's garbage even for a secondary seat in a grandparents car. Can't see a single good reason to waste money on this seat. I'm not sure I would purchase it if it were sold for $5.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
A better choice in harnessed seats for those on a very tight budget would be the Cosco Scenera or Evenflo Tribute (Convertibles to get kids to at least about age 2 or 30 pounds rearfacing, then to about age 4 forward facing), or the Evenflo Chase for kids older than age 2-3 who are forward facing. This one becomes a booster later, but I can't recommend it as that, it has the same problem as the Cosco seat that it causes the belt to ride up on the belly. But if you just use any of these seats harnessed, they aren't unsafe. The Chase has top harness slots about 2 inches taller than the Cosco and could last about 2 years longer, heightwise, as long as the kiddo is average weight (top harness limits on all these seats is 40 pounds). A slightly more expensive choice is the Evenflo Generations 65, which has a higher harness weight limit at 65 pounds, and taller slots, like the Chase, about 16.5 inches (compared to about 14.5 for the Cosco seat you have now).
Here's what we mean by 'doesn't work well as a booster'... (blog review with pictures) http://carseatblog.com/?p=1331 And despite the hip portion now being cut out lower, it still does not allow the lapbelt to ride lower on the lap.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Evenflo Maestro, with 18" top slots and a 50 pound harness limit, $80 at amazon, is a good seat for a tight budget as well. Though it's brand spanking new, so most of us haven't played with it yet.

Wendy

pj2rc

Just to clarify .. these seats are horrible boosters ... but still ok for harness? I already own these. I have used as a harness on my oldest daughter and was going to pass to my youngest daughter once she outgrows her current seat. Would you feel safe using these as harnessed seats .... or should I replace them?
I just bought Maestros and Nautilus for my oldest .. but may return the Nautilus for another Maestro if I need to buy other seats to replace the Dorels. Buy a better seat w/ harness that works well as a booster ... then trade back when #2 outgrows the harnesses on that seat .. give those seats to #1 for the booster and give the Maestros to #2 ... follow me? But if the Dorels are ok as harnesses, I will keep what I have, put #2 in the Maestos / Nautilus whe sh outgrows the Dorels and buy booster only seats for #1 then

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They're fine as harnesses, though their top slots are very low, so kids tend to outgrow them before they're booster ready.

How old is DD#2? Isn't she 20 months old,or is that someone else?

Wendy

mytwobugs

They're fine as harnesses, though their top slots are very low, so kids tend to outgrow them before they're booster ready.

How old is DD#2? Isn't she 20 months old,or is that someone else?

Wendy
I think her question is based off her situation she asked about in this thread just in case she doesn't know how to link and save repeating it all:)

pj2rc

hi... yeah - it's me again (from other link), she's 20 months now, looking ahead to next January when she'll be 32 months. Her current Titans expire end of this year. I can wait, but just trying to figure out if I should figure that into what I'm buying now. It just scared me when steph_s said not worth $5.... yikes :eek:

Maggie

hi... yeah - it's me again (from other link), she's 20 months now, looking ahead to next January when she'll be 32 months. Her current Titans expire end of this year. I can wait, but just trying to figure out if I should figure that into what I'm buying now. It just scared me when steph_s said not worth $5.... yikes :eek:

Yeah, saying it's garbage and not worth $5 is a bit extreme. :rolleyes: It may not have some of the tallest slots, but it's perfectly SAFE to use. It does make a crappy booster, but if used correctly it's fine as a harnessed seat.

I hate how some people here make posters feel like OMG!!!! Your seat SUCKS!

If you're coming here looking to buy this seat, I would never recommend it. If it's something you already have and your kiddo fits into it, it's fine to use. Don't fret about it. Just watch the shoulders since it has low slots.

Maedze

I think the largest problem is that there is a very good chance that a 2.5 year old will be too tall (or momentarily too tall) for this seat, making spending the money on it rather pointless.

Twinklefae

If you are buying new, I would also check the expiry date - Zeller's here is selling seats that expire in 2012, 2011. It's insane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC