Am I crazy for missing the infant seat in the winter?

menfusse

Technically, my dd still fits in her snugride. Its an older one though, not expired, just no foam and the annoying adjusters in the back. I have been so tempted since it has been so cold to throw her in it and cover her up and go. But then I think, she has that wonderful DC in the van and it is super safe and comfy. So I feel like I would be cheating her out of something for some crazy reason. :rolleyes: I kind of drool over the new safe seat infant ones...and I think man she would probably fit in one of those for another year at the rate she is growing! LMBO!

So am I nuts? It was so much easier to not have to worry about bundling them up to get the to the car...then unbundling and buckleing in, then bundeling back up to get out...ugh!

ADS

southpawboston

why would you be cheating her out of something? both seats are safe, and even if the DC is more comfy, wouldn't she be more comfy being all nice and warm already in the snugride? so what if it doesn't have the EPS... it's still a safe seat!

we've been struggling with this as well... we really miss having the detachable infant seat, especially as it was #$%%^$ 4 degrees F this morning!!!!! :mad:

but it's moot point for us, as our DD2 has just about outgrown the snugride... we have no choice but to put her in the convertible and let her freeze for a few minutes. :(

i'd say, if your weather is as cold as it is here, and your infant is still under the weight limit (i see she totally is), then go for the snugride. not only will she be warmer carrying her out in it, the whole carseat will be warmer from being in the house, and that little bit of warmth will radiate out and help her keep warm until the car heats up... :)

Splash

I bought a SS1 when he was 8 months old, and it wasn't even winter! I think Julie bought hers to get Leah through winter in it as well.
Good deals on them.... so easy to use....

Ha!
No, you're not crazy.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No, not crazy. Count me in as another mom who bought the SS1 to get through last winter when DD2 outgrew her Baby Trend Latch Loc infant seat by height.

menfusse

why would you be cheating her out of something? both seats are safe, and even if the DC is more comfy, wouldn't she be more comfy being all nice and warm already in the snugride? so what if it doesn't have the EPS... it's still a safe seat!

Oh I *know* they are both safe. I *know* logically that I am not cheating her out of anything...its just the nuerosis in me talking! It is very tempting. Hmmmm....I may go play. I have never actually installed the snugride in the van. :D
My dh already thinks I am a nut as it is. I can all but guaruntee he will ask me why we bought the britax if she still fits in the snug ride. I need a new convertible really, as a spare for grandparents. I have been dreading even bringing it up with him because I know he will roll his eyes and run his mouth about the money...considering we have none, lol. It is just a PITA to uninstall the dc everytime when we go with my mom or his mom. He never does the installing, claims incompetence :rolleyes: .

Anyway...I was ranting off topic. I think I will go play with the snugride base. In my van.

menfusse

I bought a SS1 when he was 8 months old, and it wasn't even winter! I think Julie bought hers to get Leah through winter in it as well.

Ha!
No, you're not crazy.
Omg...if I had the money...I would sooooooo buy one right this minute! But...alas, I don't have it at all. I have being putting off buying the extra convertible for grandparents car so I don't have to always keep reinstalling the DC...but I can't even swing a scenera right now...let alone the safe seat. Our financial situation has drastically changed since I bought my britaxes.

smurf

I have an old Snugride as well (DOM 2003) and even though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the new ones have I will gladly use it because it's soooooo much more convenient during the winter than using a convertible. I can't really justify buying a new one for 6 months or so, but I'm tempted.

It's below 0 today, without the wind chill, and it'll probably be this cold when I leave the hospital with my newborn. Baby buckets have their good points, and in winter they're unbeatable.

menfusse

Anybody know the top slot harness height? Or rather what is the estimated longest torso lenghth the safe seat would fit before the baby is too tall? Dd is a totally lightweight, and very short too. She has alot of health issues and just doesn't grow very well. Its taken alot of supplements to even get her to to where she is. She was 17.12, but has lost the 12 oz's, and is back to 17 even. So, I mean, considering she isn't even on the chart, I am thinking that the seat might very well get her a long time. Im sure she would hit the height before the weight, but as it is, she is just now 27 and 3/4 inches...and that is stretching it. Soooo....I was thinking, if I could find a could price, and you guys could give me a reasonable guess on how long I might still get out of it considering her size, that I *might* charge one...EEK! I need a spare anyway, so I was thinking of using the safeseat as my primary seat and the DC as the spare for now...then when it warms up, switch back and use the safe seat as a spare until she out grows it.

I mean, believe me...there will be no unexpected growth spurt. Actually, right now, I am trying to convince the dr's that we don't need an ng tube to bulk her up because of the recent loss. We are adding some stuff called duocal, and olive oil to her foods...ugh...ranting off topic again. So what do you guys think? Would I be wasting my money, er uh, credit card?

smurf

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you can use your baby bucket as long as baby is under the max weight and has 1 inch of plastic shell above his/her head. Shoulder height is pretty much irrelevant because the harness must be at or below the shoulders.
For my kids that meant about age 6 mo because they're so tall.

skipspin

The Safeseat will last a LONG time. Here is my DD in it at 2.5 (last winter) She was *just* at the limit and weighed 29/30 lb. She does have a long torso.

Safeseat-shellaboutheadof2yrold.jpg

Safeseatw30lb2yrold.jpg

In the second pic the angle makes her look WAY to tall, but there is just less than inch above her head.

menfusse

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you can use your baby bucket as long as baby is under the max weight and has 1 inch of plastic shell above his/her head. Shoulder height is pretty much irrelevant because the harness must be at or below the shoulders.
For my kids that meant about age 6 mo because they're so tall.
Yeah, you are right...I MEANT that total torso height, before we would get to that 1 inch of shell limit. I guess that would need to include the head in the total measurement.

anyway the more I think about it, this is probably going to work out for us, unless DH kills me. Do walmarts carry this IRL? Or am I going to have to order?

menfusse

The Safeseat will last a LONG time. Here is my DD in it at 2.5 (last winter) She was *just* at the limit and weighed 29/30 lb. She does have a long torso.

Safeseat-shellaboutheadof2yrold.jpg

Safeseatw30lb2yrold.jpg

In the second pic the angle makes her look WAY to tall, but there is just less than inch above her head.
Oh ma....why'd you have to go and post that!!! Now I KNOW I need one!! I must come up with a way to find some money. What can I sell....hmmmm???? I am on a mission now.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

Ha!
No, you're not crazy.

yup, love it.. she's 1 tomorrow, and still at the middle slots where she was at 8 months, she's too big for all other infant seats (by height, i think she's still under 20 pounds).

We went to the zoo today just so I could walk and I didn't even have to wake her from her seat, just tucked her sister's poncho over it and headed out into the 32 and windy weather, her tucked in her little cocoon (normally I would do a real stroller, but it was a quick trip and too cold for it!)

Sorry blather... yeah, if she still fits in the Snugride, go for it, even a few more weeks is a few more weeks till winter's gone.

menfusse

Oh I am. I just gotta figure out how. Either way I need a spare, and I can see this totally getting us a long time at her size. I will worry about a covertible spare when the time come for that down the road.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC