SUV Cargo Safety

brightredmtn

So I am now an SUV driver :eek:. My car came with this shelf in the cargo area which makes me nervous as a giant projectile. It folds in half and while it wouldn't easily travel to the passenger area, I tried to mimic what could happen in a roll over and it certainly can get there.

So I need a barrier. Honda doesn't make anything. No pressure mounted one because those just seem like they could add to the projectiles.

I found this and really like it since it attaches to the rear head restraints.

I'd love a net but there's nothing to attach to on the ceiling.

I'd love any thoughts.

ADS

brightredmtn

Why not this?
http://www.keenanhondaparts.com/servlet/the-343/2007-dsh-2010-HONDA-CRV-CARGO/Detail

It looks like what I have in my Lexus SUV. It hooks in and will adjust for the split in the seats. I would not recommend the one you linked to. My sister had one and it would not stay in securely.

Here is another pic of it I found on another website.

http://www.conquestauto.com/servlet/the-56339/2007-dsh-2010-Honda-CR-V/Detail

I don't think that the shade cover thing would stay put in the event of a roll over crash, especially with the wooden shelf that's in the cargo area.

Thank you for the heads up about the Orvis barrier. Your sister had that exact one?

AlishaNC82

My cover actually locks into the car and won't move. You have to slide to levers to unlock and remove it. The cover slides out of the main bar to cover the cargo area and then locks into a set of holders near the hatch. It may be worth checking with the Honda dealership to see if one of the floor models has it so you would get a better feel for it.

I'm not sure if that is the same model, but it looks very similar. She couldn't get the top part to stay still because it is in contact with the fabric and not glass or metal so it doesn't have much traction.

brightredmtn

My cover actually locks into the car and won't move. You have to slide to levers to unlock and remove it. The cover slides out of the main bar to cover the cargo area and then locks into a set of holders near the hatch. It may be worth checking with the Honda dealership to see if one of the floor models has it so you would get a better feel for it.

I'm not sure if that is the same model, but it looks very similar. She couldn't get the top part to stay still because it is in contact with the fabric and not glass or metal so it doesn't have much traction.

Now that might actually work if it's the same set up. I've only ever seen ones in the past that were like flimsy curtain shades and just kinda hooked not really that well into a groove in the car.

Thanks!

brightredmtn

OK I just checked out my car and saw where the shade attaches and there's no possible way that it would stay put in the event of a roll over, especially with the shelf underneath it.

Any other ideas people?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC