How upright can these seats be installed?

Wiggles

My friend's nephew is 20 lbs at six months, so they're in the market for a 40 or 45 lb rear-face seat. We're Canadian, so our options are, as I know them, the Radian (Premier or XT--have they REALLY gone to 45 lbs in Canada?), the Safety First Complete Air and the Graco MyRide 65.

Right now, he'd need the seats fairly reclined, but I'm curious as to what the 'maximum uprightness' is for each seat. Thanks for your help.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Those are all 30 degrees. The only one that isn't is the Learning Curve True Fit.

It's unlikely that he'd need the 45 degree angle still. That's only for babies who cannot hold their heads up yet. If he's developmentally normal then he should be able to go more upright.

Wendy

simplychels

My friend's nephew is 20 lbs at six months, so they're in the market for a 40 or 45 lb rear-face seat. We're Canadian, so our options are, as I know them, the Radian (Premier or XT--have they REALLY gone to 45 lbs in Canada?), the Safety First Complete Air and the Graco MyRide 65.

Right now, he'd need the seats fairly reclined, but I'm curious as to what the 'maximum uprightness' is for each seat. Thanks for your help.

Yes, but no retailers have them yet (except juniorbaby, which apparently got their stock for pre-orders Today). SKJP Canada rep told me this week that by the end of December most, if not all, SK retailers should have their 2010 Radian stock in.

Wiggles

Awesome. I'll let them know that. The baby should be okay until after Christmas, in his current seat, but they need to find him something else soonish. He's a big boy and I'm hoping the info I'm passing on will help them to make an informed decision about their carseat options and keep him rear facing until at LEAST two, if not longer (his older brother rfed until after age 2, but he's tiny--almost 4 and only 25 lbs, so they've never had to consider rf options for a larger child)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The thing with the Radian is that while 30 degrees is ALLOWED-- it can be hard to get that in some cars. What car will they be going in?

Wiggles

I included that fact, ketchupqueen. I said that the Radians can be a much harder install than the other two and that getting it upright can be totally impossible in a majority of cars. I also included the info that most people require a noodle or a rolled up towel to install the Complete Air, and that that is okay. *shrug* I also subtly worked in that any of the seats listed would be suitable for the older brother as well, under the guise of 'in an emergency, older brother could ride in any of these seats forward or rear-facing, they'd just need the harness adjusted.'

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC