I'm going to cry...need advice and probably some hugs too

todzwife

My head is going to explode. Really. DH and I FINALLY agreed that a minivan was our best bet when #3 arrives. I found a PERFECT one on autotrader, but there is no way we can drive 8+hours (each way) to go get it this weekend (DH is on call). It will probably sell in the mean time since it's by far the best deal I've found.

BIL's family owns several dealerships. They are going to keep an eye out for us for something similar in the same price range at auction. BUT, instead of possibly getting a new van next week, it could be a month or more. Which, isn't a HUGE deal except this...

DD is FF in a Marathon. I know she needs a different seat. I was just going to wait until we got the van (thought it was going to be next week) and move DS back into his nautilus and put DD in the Radian DS is riding in. No problem. No new seat to buy.

Here's the problem. I don't feel comfortable w/ DD riding in the marathon indefinitely while we wait for the "perfect" van to show up. I need something pronto. I have only 2 options that will fit in my car. I have an extra kid in my car during the week, so keeping a Nauti and Radian doesn't allow for ANY other seats. Won't work. Tried it. So sad.

1. Radian. Any of them will work, but since she's outboard I want side wings. Either the XT or XTSL. The print that I like in the SL (flora) is OOS EVERYWHERE until ???... So do I just get an XT? I like the Malibu and it looks like it can be had for just over $200, which I have saved up.

2. Coccoro. This is NOT a long term seat. Period. I know that. It COULD be passed down to the new bean once DD outgrows it. But really, it's an expensive seat for what it's used for and once we get the van, it's space saving feature won't really be needed.

A scenera/avenue/uptown does not work on that side. The only reason the Marathon works is because it puzzles over the Radian.

Help me decide what to do before I lose my mind for real.
DD is almost 4, but petite. Weighs about 31 pounds w/ clothing and is about 37 inches tall.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What's the age/weight/torso of the other kid? RSTV starts at 35 lbs. and fits from about 40-- but I was thinking put the other kid in the RSTV and her in the Nauti.

todzwife

What's the age/weight/torso of the other kid? RSTV starts at 35 lbs. and fits from about 40-- but I was thinking put the other kid in the RSTV and her in the Nauti.

The travel vest? DS is 6. He weighs 45 pounds soaking wet and is about 47 inches tall. He has about an inch before his shoulders are at the top slots on the Radian (so about 16.5 inch torso?)

The baby I watch in the afternoons is 13 months old and is currently RFing in a scenera outboard passengers side (BARELY fits too).

The Nauti takes up SO much space in the car that I'm not entirely sure that DS would fit center between it and another seat. The RN does NOT rear face in my car (not enough room front to back)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If he's skinny I bet he could fit. If he can sit in the seat when the other seats are in, he can wear the vest there (as long as it can be buckled properly!) I put my daughter in it in my mom's Sentra between a RF Uptown and a Radian. I think I have a pic somewhere...

Here we go.
154asxs.jpg

She uses her sisters' seats as armrests.

emthecountrycat

1. Radian. Any of them will work, but since she's outboard I want side wings. Either the XT or XTSL. The print that I like in the SL (flora) is OOS EVERYWHERE until ???...

i just ordered a radian xtsl in flora on elitecarseats.com for 300$. i know i could have gotten ventura for less at diapers.com, but i wanted flora too!

brightredmtn

When could you go to pick up the van? I just bought a new car. My insurance took forever to get me the actual money from the total loss pay out. I pre-negotiated my new car and put down a deposit and they held it for me until the money came through. Could you do something like that?

todzwife

Thanks for the ideas everyone.
The vest is an option, but how practical are they for every day use?

DH is against buying a car from another dealer that's not "family", so unless BIL could somehow get the van from the other dealership, it's not even something he'd consider, which makes me SO sad because it's PERFECT.

We COULD go get it next Wednesday. It would be a long day, but it would be doable.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Thanks for the ideas everyone.
The vest is an option, but how practical are they for every day use?
I really don't think it's that much worse than buckling a kid into a 5-point or booster, personally. I guess it depends on how much you're in the car. I know courtfrog's daughter uses hers every day (or did for a while at least-- don't know about now. :) )

courtfrog2

I really don't think it's that much worse than buckling a kid into a 5-point or booster, personally. I guess it depends on how much you're in the car. I know courtfrog's daughter uses hers every day (or did for a while at least-- don't know about now. :) )

My 5 year old uses hers everyday after school with the sitter. (We still have one :D). I agree with ketchup... it's no different than buckling them into a 5 point harness. Plus if it's top tethered with a lap belt only it's SO easy to just keep it hanging on the seat and put them in and buckle the lap belt. For the sitters car she doesn't use the top tether, just the lap/shoulder belt.

We :love: our vest. Fits perfectly in a backpack and great when I need to get 3 acrossed in the back of my van on Kindergarten field trips. Can fit her whole class in my van that way LOL!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Awesome! THanks! THat's wonderful, there have been some situations where this could be very beneficial! I think I may have to buy a new one now, though I like the old one... Just to see how it fits a littler one. :love:

DahliaRW

Awesome! THanks! THat's wonderful, there have been some situations where this could be very beneficial! I think I may have to buy a new one now, though I like the old one... Just to see how it fits a littler one. :love:

I was debating old or new for ds, but I really like the new design and colors!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC