Question HWH video?

MustangMama

You guys gotta talk me into it.

Gimme ideas, statistics, etc.

NO PICTURES YET PLEASE, I want to make a separate thread for that.

I'm not really familiar about the technicalities of HWH specifically.

Fill me in....

ADS

MomToEliEm

I think the main things to focus on with harness over booster is that the child needs to have the ability to stay properly seated in a booster seat. Often the cognative abilities for a child to do this properly do not develop until around 4-5 years of age. Also, when younger children are in booster seats, they may not fit them properly. Many booster seats may position the lap belt too high on the child's belly which can cause internal organ injuries during a crash.

Check out this youtube video which shows the dangers of booster seat use by younger children.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04"]YouTube- The Importance of a 5 Point Harness Car Seat - Belle's Gift[/ame]

Also check this page for some reasons (and possible references you can use in the video)
http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4211/Car_Seat_Safety:_5-point_Harness_is_Safest.htm

Maedze

I really, really, really would rather see a focus on "harness until booster-ready" than "harness as long as you possibly can". :twocents:

Ditto.

If you did a HWH video, I would focus on maturity, rather than the more obscure, stay harnessed forever!

A child under four doesn't belong in a booster at all. Stay harness until at LEAST four years old! Did you know a lot of kids don't have the maturity to sit nicely in a seatbelt before their sixth birthday? Did you know there are a lot of affordable seats on the market that keep your children safe until they are ready to keep themselves safe in a booster?

That sort of thing... :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I really, really, really would rather see a focus on "harness until booster-ready" than "harness as long as you possibly can". :twocents:

YES. Please.

My main points would be:

-Rear-facing is safest, but many children outgrow rear-facing convertibles by weight or height before they are physically developmentally ready for a booster.
-Children under 4-6 years old are not at the same bone development stage as older children, and their bodies are just not built to take the full force of a seatbelt. A 5-point harness distributes the forces across a greater area to diminish that force.
-Children need to fit properly in a booster before using one-- discuss proper fit.
-Children need to be able to remain in position 100% OF THE TIME before moving to a booster.
-Many standard seats have low top slots and a 40 lb. weight limit. A seat is often outgrown by height before weight-- when shoulders go over the top slots, the seat is outgrown.
-There are harnessed seats available that go to 65-80 lbs. for children who have outgrown their forward-facing car seat by height or weight, but are not ready for a booster yet.
-5 point harnesses can also be an appropriate choice for children who may be booster ready, but are seated in a position with a lap-only belt, since you cannot use a booster with a lap-only belt and lap-only belts should be used for a non-harnessed passenger as a last resort.

After you're done with this one you can do one on why kids may need a booster past legal minimums or even past 4'9". :D

fyrfightermomma

Also mention smaller children. That just because they are 4-5, chances are they won't fit properly in a booster even if they are "booster ready" or mature enough or old enough. I know my DD is old enough, would sit fine and probably would do great. She's a huge rule girl! But at 29 lbs, she just won't fit well. Probably won't for another year. If I was the "average" parent though I wouldn't know about size, only that my going on 5 year old would sit fine.

There are lots of kiddos 4-5 who are well below 30 lbs or maybe just at 30 lbs. I don't want to throw 40 lbs out there because for some reason then parents seem to focus only on that weight # and the 40 lb 2 year olds are in boosters after they hear that :) The 40 lb thing might also seem like a long shot for those with lighter kids, like mine who won't hit that well until age 7-8. So I'm not sure how to word it so we don't get 2 year olds in boosters who are 40 lbs but also don't freak out parents with lightweights who think their kiddos can never go in boosters. I'd focus on maturity, overall size and what a proper fit looks like.

So maybe something about smaller lighter children may have to be harnessed even longer until they fit properly (show properly fitting booster) etc.

Kaede's_Mom

This is a great idea. I too would focus on stuff the PP's have said. I wouln't focus on the 40# thing either, there are too many people out there that will just see 40 and go with it. KQ had some great ideas for it.

MustangMama

Perfect thanks guys!

Points taken :thumbsup:

It is in the works, just don't expect it to be done as fast as the ERF one. I was ready to go with that one before I sprung it on you guys :p

Mom2FiveGirls

I just finished several papers and a presentation on the need for car seat laws to be expanded and made more strict in my argument based research class. We had to choose one topic for the whole semester (which led me to this board and REALLY opened my eyes! I'm incredibly thankful! :) ). Anyway, I couldn't find much info/statistics on harnessing beyond 4 years/40 lbs so I just focused on keeping kids harnessed until they are ready for booster seats...can remain in the correct position 100% of the time, etc. Developmentally, most kids are not able to do that until they are at least 5-6 years old. I didn't really even mention weight or size much at all, except to say that children should absolutely NOT be in a booster seat for any reason unless they are AT LEAST 30 lbs (or more if the seat has a higher weight limit).

Hey, when you are done with this one you can do a keeping kids boostered past 8 years/80 lbs video :)

MustangMama

Hey, when you are done with this one you can do a keeping kids boostered past 8 years/80 lbs video :)

I can, IF you help me :)

I don't know much about that since my kiddo is only 6 lol.

If you can type out what you want the slides to say so I can copy and paste, I would be willing to do it. I can post a thread for pictures, no big deal on that, but I would need help with the information :)

Mom2FiveGirls

I can, IF you help me :)

I don't know much about that since my kiddo is only 6 lol.

If you can type out what you want the slides to say so I can copy and paste, I would be willing to do it. I can post a thread for pictures, no big deal on that, but I would need help with the information :)

Sure! I've got a bunch of info I used for my paper :) It will have to be after Christmas though :( We're leaving to go out of town Monday and I've got a million things to do this weekend before we leave. Are you using iMovie to make the videos? I know you said it was a mac font :) Just curious.

MustangMama

Sure! I've got a bunch of info I used for my paper :) It will have to be after Christmas though :( We're leaving to go out of town Monday and I've got a million things to do this weekend before we leave. Are you using iMovie to make the videos? I know you said it was a mac font :) Just curious.

Yes! iMovie is awesome :)

After Christmas is fine. You can just PM me your info and we can work something out :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC