My kid has weird spots

Splash

My kid has weird spots, now with pictures!

Now that's not saying much, because he always has weird spots. But these are weirder weird spots.

They're only on his torso, they just showed up yesterday. They're tiny little spots, and look like they're fluid filled. A few appear to have already busted. He has a slight fever, but nothing I'm worried about.

The spots don't appear to be bothering him, but he is very cranky today, so maybe he is bothered but can't pinpoint the source of his botheredness.

I don't have pictures. I'll take some later if the spots are still there. They faded a bit since last night, but they're still there. Some are slightly crusty.

My first thought was chicken pox, but it doesn't make sense that he would get a symptomatic case of chicken pox. He's had one confirmed case of shingles and one probable case of shingles that I am sure was shingles but wasn't diagnosed... I assume he'd just get shingles again, not chicken pox. He's never had chicken pox that we know of.

Any clue? Yeah yeah, I know, take him to the doctor. I don't want to, because I'm not worried. He's not miserable, he doesn't have a high fever, he's eating and drinking fine, so I don't think a trip to the doctor is warranted right now. Believe me, if I took my kid to the doctor every time he had spots, we'd never leave.

These spots just intrigue me. I've never seen spots like this before, except in chicken pox. I suppose he could have chicken pox, but it baffles me how/why he would get them.

Last edited:
ADS

JaRylan

I was thinking possibly hand, foot and mouth disease (not as bad as it sounds) but if he is eating and drinking fine, then likely not. I also thought chicken pox. Sorry, I'm not any help. Hopefully they clear up soon.

mommy2jana

At first, I also thought Chicken Pox....hmmm...what's even weirder is that we're both in Florida and my DD had the same spots on Sunday! By the time we got to the dr Monday afternoon, the spots were gone! She did however, have tonsillitis. She had the same symptoms as your DS - slight fever, cranky, weird spots. She said hers itched and she also complained of a headache. She was eating and drinking normally, though. We did an oatmeal bath and some Calamine lotion for her comfort and the next morning, they were gone. SO WEIRD! Even the dr didn't know what her spots could have been.

I wonder if something strange is going around....you're west coast central FL, right? Could be something in this area. Hmmm...

ajweeks

Kids can get rashes on their chests from strep throat--the scarlet fever rash, but I don't think they are usually fluid filled bumps.

Yoshi

Fluid filled AND starting on the torso is most likely Chicken Pox. My son got them first on the torso, then his neck, face, arms and a few on his legs in that order. I got them at age 25 (from him) with the SAME exact presentation. They are highly contagious until all the spots scab over completely. He may be cranky w/ a headache, but since he is not verbal enough to tell you this, he may look a bit pale or flushed- and lose his appetite. I hope he is ok and if it is CP, that he gets a mild case. OATMEAL BATHS saved our sanity. Good luck, Splash.

PS- I believe you must get CP BEFORE you can get shingles-we had to do a bunch of emergency research back in 2003 when DH got shingles a week before I gave birth to DD and we had to confirm through many sources that he could not casually give her CP from his shingles, only from direct contact to his open sores, whereas CP is airborne. We also confirmed that Shingles is a re-activation of the dormant virus in your own system from your original CP exposure. We had CDC info and NIH info as well as a family friend who is an epidemiologist.

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
My first thought was chicken pox too b/c it's going around in my area. My friend's kids just got over them. So far so good on my kids.

Good luck figuring it out....gotta love playing "guess the rash" game..

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Wow. Wierd. I have no idea. R had impetigo a few weeks ago, but those spots looked like cold sores and started as just one and then a 2nd came the next day and then the 3rd day there was a whole cluster of them. In the research that I did, I found out that impetigo can be caused by Staph bacteria or Strep Group A. It was at the same exact time that DH had strep throat (they even went to the doctor on the same day). Do you think there was a connection?
That does kind of sound like chicken pox. I would be the same as you, though... I don't usually worry about things until they really become a problem!

skipspin

If he has chicken pox can DD come over? I want her to get them while she's little. I had them when I was 12 and it wasn't fun. I didn't have her vaxed for them, but I'm worried that since so many do it will be a long time before she is exposed since she isn't in daycare/preschool.

Yoshi

Skipspin, Be careful what you wish for, my son was 3 when he had them and it was nearly impossible to keep him from scratching until bleeding.:( Some kids even get them in their throats and I can't even imagine the misery to a 3 yr old. The first few days were horrendous- until (duh) I got him into oatmeal baths and some different cream- calamine did nothing for him. Even though at 12, you said it wasn't fun, a 12 yr old has an understanding of -"even though it itches like he**, I must control myself!" I was 25 when I got them with NO complications and it was a pretty bad case.

skipspin

Yeah, with me being 8.5 months pregnant I might re-evalute that wish. But, she's really used to itchy spots since she is a mosquito/fire ant magnet. We seemed to have mostly figured out how to outsmart the fire ants. Thank goodness for rubber boots to play in, the bites were awful and she would get covered just from walking through the yard with no ant hills to get in the car. The mosquitos don't like her quite as much, but it's still not great. I think when she was 2 she had 21 bandaids at once, because it kept her from itching them open. (Yes, I buy stock in them now and have a smorgusboard of different characters and Benadryl cream in every room of the house. LOL)

So, maybe 6/7 would be a better age? I don't immagine I'll have much control over it anyway.

Michi

It HAS to be a Florida thing, because a woman on another board (Who lives in FL) was describing the EXACT same thing, and asking if her son had chicken pox.
she did take him in and it turned out to be something viral, but not C.P.

She even posted photos of it on her blog......and it DID look like CP!

Splash

Where are the pictures? I want to see!

Joy, sure, you can expose her if you want. Or you can wait until he has a shingles outbreak again, which I am sure he will at some point.
I had CP on my fourth birthday. It was my birthday wish. The night before my birthday, my dad asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and I told him I wanted CP. The next day, guess who was spotty?
For the longest time he told me it was my third birthday, and I believed him, until I finally realized that my mom wasn't around on my birthday and she was still alive on my third, but not on my fourth. So I decided it must have been my fourth.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
what is it with FL and rashs!!! LOL ok we went to disney in sept '05, allie was 12 months when to the dr office and got her 12 month shots (yep i vacinate... one comprimise dh REFUSED to bend on at all :( ) but usally at 12 months they start the MMR shots, i declined it till 2 years and the dr asked if i wanted the chicken poxs shot, i said she why not, the other two got it... this was 2 days before we drove down. The night down there she had a fever of 102 not bad, just really hot and slept a lot, we drove stright throw (HE**), anyways we got there on saturday the next day we just kinda hung around the room... she had spots all over by 6pm... fever was up again, the next day she woke up and the fever was gone but the itching started.... i though this whole time it was a resaction to the shot (ds got a few spots from the shot too) so we headed out to the parks, took a spary bottle of water to easy the itching. she was fine most of the day as long as we didn't let her start to sweat kinda hard in sept FL heat! LOL the spots were scabed the next day and by 2 more day they were completely gone ...
when we went to a dr appoitment for her when she was 18 months (milk allergy when we started introducting cows milk) i mentioned the reaction to the shot, dr said that the reaction doesn't take place till 7-10 days after the shot, and it must have been the real chicken pox and she put that in her chart so that if it's required at a later time for a booster shot she won't need on since she's had them... I just kept thinking about all thoes poor kids that might have gotten them from her being at disney world !!!

LuvBug

If he has chicken pox can DD come over? I want her to get them while she's little. I had them when I was 12 and it wasn't fun. I didn't have her vaxed for them, but I'm worried that since so many do it will be a long time before she is exposed since she isn't in daycare/preschool.

LOL! actually I was thinking the same thing! Wondering how DS is going to be exposed. I dont want him to get it when he is older like my brother did, he was miserable!

I had them when I was not even a year old and I dont remember them... that is nice lol!

Splash

370368173_1de096c401.jpg

370368226_a1b6908b82.jpg

Any ideas?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC