Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Chicco KeyFit30 carseat stuck to the base

My son's Chicco car seat that we've been using for the past 8 months is now stuck to the base & I'm unable to remove it :-(
    I was able seperate the car seat only after turning the base (and the car seat) upside down & unlock them. Obviously, I can't do this each time.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Chicco KeyFit30 carseat stuck to the base

Have you checked to see if anything was stuck in the lever that separates the seat from the base (where you pull) or in the base itself? Wiped the seat and base down with a damp cloth? Made sure the harness is attached correctly to the splitter plate, and not twisted? Have you called Chicco to see what they suggest?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    Have you checked to see if anything was stuck in the lever that separates the seat from the base (where you pull) or in the base itself? Wiped the seat and base down with a damp cloth? Made sure the harness is attached correctly to the splitter plate, and not twisted? Have you called Chicco to see what they suggest?
    Thanks for your response.
    I was able to fix the issue. It turned out that the unlocking button on the car seat was jammed. I tried moving it sideways & vertically -- this seemed to fix the issue.

Pretty wierd! I had a very good opinion of chicco till this happened.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I have never heard of this happening, and have a very good opinion of Chicco's car seats (though I've heard mixed things about their strollers. ) If you feel this is something that was caused by a defect in the car seat, rather than getting dirty or the way it was used, it might be worth a call to Chicco, just to let them know you had the issue.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Unhappy Re: Chicco KeyFit30 carseat stuck to the base

I am having the same problem! My chicco Key Fit 30 car seat is stuck to the base all of a sudden and I cannot take it out of the car. Did you have to remove the entire system (base and car seat) from the car to then try to get them unstuck? What is the unlock button?
    PLEASE help!!!!!