8 seater minivans?

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
We are looking to buy a new(er) minivan in a month or two and I'm wondering which ones are available with an 8th seat. I know Chevy Ventures and I think Honda Odysseys can have an 8th seat? Are there others? Our budget will be $9000-$10,000 so we obviously won't be buying brand new. TIA!

ADS

Dillipop

The sienna has an 8th seat option, but I'm not sure when they started that. You might not be able to find one in your price range, since they retain their value.

The oddyssey also has the 8th seat option, but it is pretty small and I don't think many seats would fit there. It is really only good for older children, as an adult probably won't fit there either. Again, I am not sure when this option came available and you might not be able to find one in your price range, since they retain their value.

The venture/uplander/montana have an 8th seat option, but I am pretty sure the crash tests are not great.

The suburban has 8 seats and there may be some SUV's with 8 seats, too.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The Sienna's 8-passenger seating option began with the '04 model year in the CE and LE trim lines. The XLE versions are 7-passenger only models. I haven't priced a used Sienna in a while but agree with the previous poster about high resale. When I was van shopping about 2 years ago, a used '04 Sienna ran about the same price as a new '05 model. Happy shopping and hope you find what you're looking for. :)

canadianmom2three

Not sure if you have exactly what we have in Canada, but I have had the Chevy venture and Pontiac Montana 8 seaters and FWIW I love both of them. It is super convenient to have the folding and tumbling seats to move out of the way for the rear row passangers, and the 3 across situation in the second row is really fairly roomy. We can have all 3 kids across and then the whole rear for cargo, or have all seats up and room for one friend for each kid! Only downfall is that on ours not all belts are shoulder/lap combos, middle for each row is just a lap.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I'm pretty sure it will be impossible to find an Odyssey or a Sienna with an 8th seat in our price range, so I'm going to look into the Venture and the Montana. I didn't know that the Montana had an 8th seat, so at least that gives us one more option. I might look at some of the bigger SUV's too, but honestly, I'd rather have a minivan (don't ask me why because I really don't know!)

Colleen

Just watch out for the "converstion vans" recently a few towns away from us one crashed. The mother survived, the baby was in the back properly harnessed and the right car seat for him and survived the inital crash untill the tv they had in the van fatally fell on his head :( .

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
OMG! That's so scary! I guess that's a good reason to limit projectiles! Do you know if it was a regular TV or the screen from a portable DVD player? Wow - I can't believe that! :(

Colleen

It was one of the 13" reg tv's. But I came factory in the van, but aparently not very secure. OMG! We travel w/ our 7" portable DVD player, I never thought of that! But while were on the subject, REMEMBER TO TEACH YOUR KIDDO TO RE-BUCKLE HIS BOOSTER SEAT WHEN NOT IN USE. Talk about projectile, thats one that never crossed my mind before it was pointed out to me. I'm going to post that on the car seat forum also as a freindly reminder.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I'm having fun looking already. I'm actually keeping an eye out on ebay. We've never purchased a vehicle that way, but DH's uncle has purchased 4 vehicles on ebay and has had very good experiences every time, so I think we'll give it a try if we find a good deal. Canadianmom - thanks for posting the pics, I can't believe how roomy the middle row looks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC