RFing Decisions

Leighsah

My son will be 2 1/2 in February....he is about 36-37 in tall and is about 31 lbs. He is still RFing in the Radian 65. He has maybe an inch or 2 to go before he needs to be turned FFing (when his head will be one inch from the top).

So I have decisions to make. Turn him around FFing? Buy another seat with a taller shell? Import a Swedish seat? I am not really sure what to do.....The only seats that are taller I think are the Air Protect and maybe the True Fit (although that one would be a bust with the 35 lb RFing limit I think). How tall are the shells for the Swedish seats like the Britax Hi Way? (Just wanted to add that I know it is illegal to use a seat from another country, but I am considering it nonetheless).

Any help or just discussion about this is much appreciated....

ADS

Pixels

The Complete Air has a taller shell, but has a 40 inch height limit on it. Won't last long.

The TrueFit also has a taller shell, but has a 35 pound limit on it. Won't last long.

I would turn him when he outgrows the Radian. Personally, I wouldn't import except in the case of special needs.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
How are you measuring your child's height in relation to the top of the Radian? Ensuring you are measuring as shown in this post http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=278124&postcount=1

My DD is a hair under 38" with a longer than average torso and she has 2" to grow in the My Ride yet, and around 4" in the True Fit. I think the Radian and TF are close in height so I'm guessing she'd have around 4" in the Radian as well.

Hopefully he has more room than you think! (or he has one might tall torso!)

ETA: and if his torso is that long to give him only 1-2" of room, it's likely that his torso growth will slow and legs will start to catch up meaning you may have lot of time left. I expect my DD's 2" in her My Ride to last her another 9 months at least, maybe longer as her torso growth has already slowed and legs are starting to catch up.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Unless he's had a huge torso growth spurt (using the next slots up from there), he's still got 6 inches over his head. You have years...probably till he reaches the weight limit... till you have to even think about it. (unless you really WANT a new seat, but meh, I wouldn't bother with a foreign RF seat, the one you have is fine for RF... maybe a Radian XTSL would be a good choice, or splurge on a new cover or something :)...)

Pixels

(unless you really WANT a new seat, but meh, I wouldn't bother with a foreign RF seat, the one you have is fine for RF... maybe a Radian XTSL would be a good choice, or splurge on a new cover or something :)...)

You are such an enabler. :p

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Going up to the 80SL or XTSL would give you 5 more lbs. to RF. I agree, he's got a ton of room over his head, and at his age 2 inches of torso growth often takes a year per inch or more-- so he might make it to 4 by height, or even longer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC