Update: Jeep Commander Headrest Issue

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I posted a while back about a client who was unable to get her Marathon properly in the 2nd row outboard of her Jeep Commander. After much research and several calls to the local Jeep dealer they were finally able to come up with a solution.

She has an appointment set for her vehicle to go in and have the headrest temporarily removed. They are charging her $95 to do this as they have to remove the entire back of the seat. They won't have to cut it, though, and they will be able to replace the headrests when she's done with car seats.

Just posting in case anyone else is still having an issue. If your Jeep dealer is telling you it can't be done feel free to PM me and I'll put you in touch with the dealer here who might be able to share with your dealer what they know.

ADS

menfusse

I posted a while back about a client who was unable to get her Marathon properly in the 2nd row outboard of her Jeep Commander. After much research and several calls to the local Jeep dealer they were finally able to come up with a solution.

She has an appointment set for her vehicle to go in and have the headrest temporarily removed. They are charging her $95 to do this as they have to remove the entire back of the seat. They won't have to cut it, though, and they will be able to replace the headrests when she's done with car seats.

Just posting in case anyone else is still having an issue. If your Jeep dealer is telling you it can't be done feel free to PM me and I'll put you in touch with the dealer here who might be able to share with your dealer what they know.

Odd. I had no trouble getting our DC in our commander outboard, but had to recline the seat back some. In fact, I've not had trouble getting all the seats I've tried in FF. The seats don't recline back much, even at full recline, and I just have to let it back a few clicks to install the seats. I've done a Regent, DC, Radian, Scenera, Avenue, True Fit and a MR. It took wrestling with some, but not like cussing kind of wrestling, lol.

That being said, high back boosters are a huge PITA. I called a dealer and they gave me instructions on how to remove the headrest portion off the seat. It leaves the posts in the back of the seat though, but does allow me to use a booster. I didn't realize there was a way to get the posts out though. I would love that except an adult sometimes needs to ride there, so we need to be able to put the head rest back on.

CTPDMom

Odd. I had no trouble getting our DC in our commander outboard, but had to recline the seat back some. In fact, I've not had trouble getting all the seats I've tried in FF. The seats don't recline back much, even at full recline, and I just have to let it back a few clicks to install the seats. I've done a Regent, DC, Radian, Scenera, Avenue, True Fit and a MR. It took wrestling with some, but not like cussing kind of wrestling, lol.

That being said, high back boosters are a huge PITA. I called a dealer and they gave me instructions on how to remove the headrest portion off the seat. It leaves the posts in the back of the seat though, but does allow me to use a booster. I didn't realize there was a way to get the posts out though. I would love that except an adult sometimes needs to ride there, so we need to be able to put the head rest back on.

I know, I thought it was odd too. I even remember reading your posts on the jeepcommander forum and had her come back in and had the officers try again. I didn't personally attempt the installs for her, that task belonged to the police officers I work for, but both she and they swear it was NOT possible. (And in spite of some things I disagree with them about generally these guys are good techs, they do know what they're doing.) I would have loved to get my hands on it to see for myself but I'm really hog-tied when it comes to seats at my full-time work even thought I am a tech, union issues. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering if it's a difference of which model year it is?

Anyway, it remains that they couldn't get them in for her, she couldn't get them in and for a long time the Jeep dealership said the only thing they could do was CUT the headrests off...which wasn't a viable option at all. For the time being she's had her MA in the middle but has no visibility out the rear window and is TTC a 2nd child so something would have eventually had to change to get 2 ff'ing seats in there in a few years.

menfusse

I know, I thought it was odd too. I even remember reading your posts on the jeepcommander forum and had her come back in and had the officers try again. I didn't personally attempt the installs for her, that task belonged to the police officers I work for, but both she and they swear it was NOT possible. (And in spite of some things I disagree with them about generally these guys are good techs, they do know what they're doing.) I would have loved to get my hands on it to see for myself but I'm really hog-tied when it comes to seats at my full-time work even thought I am a tech, union issues. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering if it's a difference of which model year it is?

Anyway, it remains that they couldn't get them in for her, she couldn't get them in and for a long time the Jeep dealership said the only thing they could do was CUT the headrests off...which wasn't a viable option at all. For the time being she's had her MA in the middle but has no visibility out the rear window and is TTC a 2nd child so something would have eventually had to change to get 2 ff'ing seats in there in a few years.

I dunno. Maybe it was a model year difference? I have an 08. I'm glad that she's working so hard for a solution though, but it stinks she has to pay $95 bucks for something and then probably have to pay to have them put back. Jeep should foot the bill. It's a family vehicle and this design is a PITA for families. I actually would not have bought it had I know before hand the headrests didn't come off. We had both kids with us the day we bought it and it was done and the papers signed. The pulled it around and I had the Regent and the DC to install and even the salesman was like wth? They don't come off? It took a long time that day, but after that, I figured out the quirks. It has belt stalks that are fixed and forward of the bite some...so that doesn't make it that easy either.

Maedze

How high are the posts? Nublets, or a few inches? I'd be uncomfortable with exposed metal posts on the back of the vehicle seat :twocents:

menfusse

How high are the posts? Nublets, or a few inches? I'd be uncomfortable with exposed metal posts on the back of the vehicle seat :twocents:

They are standard sized I guess, but made of plastic, not metal. I actually was uncomfortable with too and shaved down some pool noodles and taped them on. It's a very fugly set up, but it gives some padding without the crazy angle of the headrest. Not something I can say...Hey everybody go out and do this, but I'm ok with it for myself, as is. We don't have anybody loose in the car, the booster back comes well above them, and they are padded pretty well with the pool noodles. I jabbed them on with enough to come up above the tips of the posts if that's makes sense.

ETA: I didn' thave to do this with the harnessed seats. I could leave them on, just had to do it for the hbb. I don't have another option because of the need to have an adult there at times that will need the headrest.

CTPDMom

I am thrilled also that she's following through and wanting her seats to be right. But I did encourage her to write a letter to Jeep outlining the issues and complaining about the added cost. The last time she was in I wasn't here, but I'm hoping she'll come back (I asked her to) when the seat is done. So I can see how it looks with the headrest off and hear how things went at the dealership.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
I too have wondered about the head rests. We have a 2002 Grand Cherokee. Apparently the head rests do not come off. They will fold forward, but that is it. It is annoying. Thankfully, though, it hasn't been a problem...yet. Our son is still in the center in his Frontier. It will become a problem when we convert the Frontier to a booster and have to place him outboard, although that won't be for a couple of years (he is just now five). With any luck I will have a new Jeep by then.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I am thrilled also that she's following through and wanting her seats to be right. But I did encourage her to write a letter to Jeep outlining the issues and complaining about the added cost. The last time she was in I wasn't here, but I'm hoping she'll come back (I asked her to) when the seat is done. So I can see how it looks with the headrest off and hear how things went at the dealership.

Unfortunately I doubt this letter will get her very far. Jeep is very well aware of an issue due to a very passionate tech who has been very vocal with them about the headrest issue. Jeep's advice is to recline the seatback and they feel there isn't that significant an issue once it's done.

Some seats obviously have much more of a problem with headrest like this than others. The headrests in my truck aren't removable either, and the manual simply says to recline the seatback to remove interference. It works much better for some seats than others, but does make the difference between completely acceptable install and incompatible. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC