Why isn't someone/an agency responsible for informing the public on car seat safety???

mum2two

I was just thinking...why isn't there some type of government agency that is charged with informing the general public/parents/pediatricians etc with accurate, up to date car seat safety information (ideally to include best practice guidelines).

It shouldn't require parents to search out boards like this to find out about ERF, HWH seats, proper booster use etc....

Thank goodness when my DD was a baby I stumbled upon another board that has excellent car seat info and then was referred over here, but the general public needs this information given to them.

Is it a lack of funding? There is serious need for this information to be broadcast in the mainstream media as evidenced by all the poor usage that many of us witness on a daily basis.

Thoughts? Answers to my late night pondering???

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I was just thinking...why isn't there some type of government agency that is charged with informing the general public/parents/pediatricians etc with accurate, up to date car seat safety information (ideally to include best practice guidelines).

You mean, like SafeKids and NHTSA? ;)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You mean, like SafeKids and NHTSA? ;)

:yeahthat:

(Although SafeKids isn't a government agency. Though it's funded largely by grants, I imagine.)

And yes, it's a lack of funding, or, in some cases, misdirected funding. If NHTSA had poured some money into something other than a LATCH campaign, that might have been nice. (Although those booster commercials are from them, are they not?)

Media campaigns--especially on a national level--are EXTREMELY expensive.

BananaBoat

If car accidents are the #1 killer of kids in this country, which could theoretically be reduced by proper car seat use, you'd think it would qualify for a PSA every once in a while :rolleyes:

I mean last night CBS did a PSA about "giving your wife the gift of a pap smear appointment for Hanukkah" - and they seriously can't broach car seats :confused:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
In some ways I agree, but also -- the information is out there. Is it the government's responsibility to publicize it, or parents' responsibility to find it? I lean towards the latter.

Maedze

Honestly, this is one of my soapbox issues. I am honestly amazed at the money the gubmint pours into certain public safety and health campaigns, while ignoring the most important one. The H1N1/seasonal flu shot campaign is pretty impressive.

If you have a limited number of dollars for public health and safety, it makes sense to funnel them into the place they will do the most good.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If car accidents are the #1 killer of kids in this country, which could theoretically be reduced by proper car seat use, you'd think it would qualify for a PSA every once in a while :rolleyes:

In my previous life, I used to run public relations campaigns, mostly for non-profits and government agencies. The problem is that EVERYONE has an important issue. It may not be about the #1 killer of children, but it might be about clearing brush during fire season (an important local issue), preventing child abuse, reducing water pollution, etc.

Media outlets are inundated with requests for free PSAs. And even when they're willing to give airtime/space, there's still the matter of paying (or hoping for donations/pro bono time) to create the spot.

I agree, though, that I'd rather see some more funding go to this as opposed to certain other things, but I also agree with chickabiddy that it's not necessarily the government's job to blast people with information that's already out there.

Just an aside. I was at the LA Auto show last weekend, and NHTSA had a booth. And by "booth" I mean, "A guy sitting at a table with a TV and some brochures." Nothing flashy. No sign, even, that I recall seeing. I don't remember if there was even a table cloth. It was extremely unimpressive compared to the other booths there, but from a taxpayer standpoint, hey, whatever.

Anyway, I picked up a packet of information on transporting your child safely, and I've gotta say, it was extremely good information. It was last updated in 2004, so some of the info is a little out of date, but compared to most of the information given out by public agencies, it was fantastic. (The same info can probably be found on their website, but I get a headache looking at it.)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
In some ways I agree, but also -- the information is out there. Is it the government's responsibility to publicize it, or parents' responsibility to find it? I lean towards the latter.

nak

i'm inclined to agree with chickabiddy. i'd say it's pretty common knowledge that kids need to be in car seats at some point - that message is certainly out there - and i don't think it's unreasonable to expect parents to find out more about why, how long, etc.

i would, however, like to see a concerted effort to make car seat manuals clearer and car seats more intuitive for the average parent to install.

Maedze

I'd love to see a simple PSA, animated, maybe a cute jingle covering ERF, EH, boostering to 5 steps. Surely it couldn't be that hard to make.

Quick, someone make one and sell it to the gubmint.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC