Travelling to California at Christmas

AGSMommy

I am travelling with my daughter to California (from Ontario, Canada) over the holidays. She will be 6 in January and currently rides in a Frontier in booster mode or a Parkway. She is about 42lbs and I don't know her height.

Can someone advise on the requirements for California. I am tempted to purchase a Clek Olli for the trip just because the seat would be easy to take on the plane.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ADS

seamonkeys

No suggestions, but the law here is at 6 or 60lbs it's legal to ride without a carseat/booster.

ETA - corrected wording.

Last edited:

BabyKaykes

Actually, the law here is 6yo or 60lb to be in a seatbelt only/no carseat or booster :mad: :thumbsdown:

I personally prefer a high back booster and would take the Parkway, but a backless is better than nothing.

The previous poster is almost correct. While California law does state that children must ride in child passenger safety restraints until 6 years or 60 pounds (California Vehicle Code section 27360), the following section of the vehicle code, Section 27360.5, does not allow the transportation of children "without properly securing the child or ward in an appropriate child passenger restraint system or safety belt meeting applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards." (Emphasis is mine.)

Basically, if the child can not be secured properly with a vehicle seat belt, then the child must be in a child passenger restraint system (defined as booster or 5 point harness) that does properly secure the child.

As a result, it can be argued that children that are not four feet nine inches tall, must ride in some type of child restraint that "properly secures" the child, as motor vehicle seat belts are designed to secure adults that are four feet nine inches tall or taller. By default, those smaller than that are not capable of being "properly secured" by the seat belt alone, regardless of age or weight.

seamonkeys

Actually, the law here is 6yo or 60lb to be in a seatbelt only/no carseat or booster :mad: :thumbsdown:

I personally prefer a high back booster and would take the Parkway, but a backless is better than nothing.

I agree, I wish they would increase it, cause so many people just stop using booster when they hit 6 yrs, as if that magic number changed the way they fit in a seatbelt. :rolleyes:

Qarin

As a result, it can be argued that children that are not four feet nine inches tall, must ride in some type of child restraint that "properly secures" the child, as motor vehicle seat belts are designed to secure adults that are four feet nine inches tall or taller. By default, those smaller than that are not capable of being "properly secured" by the seat belt alone, regardless of age or weight.

Yeah, if only that's how anybody, parents or law enforcement, ever interpreted it. :(

BabyKaykes

I agree, I wish they would increase it, cause so many people just stop using booster when they hit 6 yrs, as if that magic number changed the way they fit in a seatbelt. :rolleyes:

This happened to my godkids. On their 6th birthdays their parents ditched all seats and to this day (they are currently 6.5yo and 9yo) don't understand why I still make them ride in boosters in my car.

Yeah, if only that's how anybody, parents or law enforcement, ever interpreted it. :(

This is how it should be interpreted. But unfortunately, you are correct. Law enforcement, parents and those concerned with Child Passenger Safety, should attempt to correctly state the law and highlight the "properly secured" language. What I most often hear is, "Oh yeah, California is six or sixty." This isn't the case and more officers should be ticketing drivers for failing to "properly secure." This requires education and awareness of the "properly secured" language.

For dealing with caregivers and parents on the issue, have a copy of the California Vehicle Code Sections 27360 and 27360.5 with the properly secured language highlighted. Then explain to them the Five Step Test for Booster Usage "Boosters are for Big Kids" at the Safety Belt Safe website to show how their child is not "properly secured" with the seat belt alone.

A ticket for a first offense under these sections is listed as $100.00, but with court fees and tripling penalties, it can be upwards of $300.00, or about the cost of a very nice high end car seat. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have heard CHP officers interpret it that way. :thumbsup: But, they are few and far between.

OP, has she ridden in a backless booster before? If so, the Olli may be an appropriate choice if it fits her and the car you'll be using has headrests or high enough seat backs to make sure she has support behind her head to the tips of her ears. How much driving will you be doing, and how does she do in a backless booster?

AGSMommy

Hi - thanks for all the help. Yes she has ridden in a backless booster - my car also has built in boosters (Volvo V70), that she rides in occasionally. She rides well in both, sits straight, keeps the seatbelt on properly.

We are staying in Oceanside with my gramma and I think she drives a Toyota Yaris or maybe its a Prius? We will be doing a fair bit of driving - I would think everyday. I really just don't want to lug the PW through the airports, we have a layover in Chicago.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Does she still fall asleep in the car? If she won't fall asleep, or won't fall to the side when she does, I'd bring the backless. Otherwise I'd bring the Parkway.

InternationalMama

Does she still fall asleep in the car? If she won't fall asleep, or won't fall to the side when she does, I'd bring the backless. Otherwise I'd bring the Parkway.

Just curious, if you would bring the Parkway how would you transport it on the plane? Does the back come off so that the pieces can be packed as luggage, like the Turbo? Since it's a booster she can't ride in it on the plane and I'd hate to see it checked as luggage as is...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would check the dimensions allowed as carryon. If it would fit, I would bring it as a carryon (my cousin routinely carries on his guitars with no issues, and I think that in its lowest setting it's probably a similar size.) If it would not fit I would pack it in a well-fitting, sturdy box, padded if possible, with the intention to check or gate check it.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't take the parkway unless it can be a carry-on. Can grammy pick up a turbo hbb in Cali? Then she would have a high back and you wouldn't have to carry it with you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC