Question Hook onto chair booster/highchairs

Holly

UGH another highchair thread from me! So dh has nixed all my ideas lately, the hook onto the table chair and the restaurant style. He doesn't trust the hook on chairs, and he doesnt like the look of the restaurant style and he doesnt want something without a tray (that was my biggest hesitation about getting one of those).
But I still would really like the option to have him at the table with us, so now I'm thinking abot the types that hook onto a chair. I think it would be good because we could use the tray when we felt like it, or have him up to the table. We could also take it with us to grandmas house or camping next year, etc.

Anyway, just wondering what one you have used and liked? There are SO many options! I was looking last night and Fisher Price has tons and so does Safety 1st. There are probably other brands, but those are the main ones I saw.

Oh, and we have had the FP space saver and liked it, as a high chair, but I never liked it up to the table because of the long rods that the tray hooks to got in the way of scooting it in a little. If I wanted it back, my mom has it and only uses it for my baby so she doesn't really need it. I just don't want that one again.

Last edited:
ADS

Chex

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Travel-Lite-Table-Chair/dp/B0001777IU"]This[/ame] is, by far, my favorite highchair. I'm not even sure if they make them anymore. But you could probably find one on craigslist or KSL. I've had mine since my oldest was a few months. I've used it for ALL my kids and my 2yo is still using it. It's super-sturdy.

We tried a couple of the other (newer) kind and we hated them. One of them actually started slipping off the counter (which is probably why your DH doesn't trust them). The one we have has never been a problem. It doesn't budge. The newer kinds aren't as easy to clean, either, IMO. Ours has been in constant use, pretty much from the get-go. So we're at about 8 years of use now and it still looks great and is still super strong.

Holly

Oh, I'm talking about the kind that hook onto a chair. my dh doesnt trust the kind that hook onto the table.
If I were to get the hanging kind, I would want the new Chicco 360 hook on chair.

Mommy2Marcus

I used one of the kinds that hooks to a chair at the table. We LOVED it. It was the simple safety 1st ones that was very inexensive. It had a tray, straps & several different height adjustments that made it easy to pull up to the table after he stopped using the tray on it.
This is the one I got:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5192166

I really liked it. I also found that it was really easy to clean & really easy to fold up & take it with me.

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
i :love: highchairs that hook onto the table. We use ours all the time. My dh and I are both pretty much insane when it comes to safety/baby products, etc. And oddly enough, we have no issues.

I have seen a few that "attach" to chairs and honestly I feel much safer hooking one onto a sturdy table.

Holly

Last edited:

BabyKaykes

I had several Fisher Price and Safety 1st ones before I decided they were ALL disgusting food traps and just not worth the hassle after every meal. I ended up with a $8 one from Target (it's not on their site, but it's Circo brand and they still have it). I loved it because I could shake it over the sink after dinner (never did actually attach it to the chair - bad mommy!) and without a tray, DS could climb in it himself. He would still be in it, however we got him his own table/chairs.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Does your current high chair adjust low enough that it can fit at your table? (I think you have the same high chair I do, so it should.) If so, I'd just save the $$ and use that.

Holly

Probably, but then the legs would stick under the table really far and the back legs would stick out in the back, tripping one of the girls trying to get past it. It would just be a pain. It's a huge high chair too.

Getting a hook on chair would actually save me money because I can sell my high chair for $40 and the hook on chair that I think I want is about $20.

canadiangie

:confused:

You're selling your highchair?? You went to so much trouble to get the darn thing and you're already selling it?

What I would do is get the Space Saver back from your mom. Use it with the tray for the next 6mos or so, and then spend $15 and get a basic bum booster with a lap belt.

Holly

I havent listed it yet.
Last year at this time when I was looking for a high chair, our needs/wants were different. I wanted something with wheels and that had a good recline.

Ds doesnt need the recline anymore and it would be nice to have something that doesnt take up as much space. I don't need to wheel the high chair around the kitchen anymore. All 3 kids push the high chair around the kitchen, it's always out in the way. Ds is getting older and self feeding a lot, and will do more of it in the next few months. I think it would be good for him to be at the table with us where he can see us eating and learn from us and just be included with us when we're having dinner.

Also, the extra money I'd have from selling and getting something cheaper would be nice.

We have some of those hook on the chair boosters that the girls use, the are just a seat that hooks onto the chair, no high back or tray. Ds can use one of those when he's bigger.
I really never liked my space saver for using up next to the table.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We had a Safety 1st one, and it was okay. But honestly we've gotten a lot more use out of our First Years Inflatable booster seat. It lives in the car but we have used it as a longer-term high chair when travelling. I've used it with babies as young as 6 months and as long as the chair is high enough it works quite well. Probably not what you're looking for though. ;)

keri1292

If you're short on space, nothing beats the hook on chair. Maybe you could take dh to BRU to look at one. Once he sees it and understands how it works, he'll see that there is no way it's coming loose. In fact, ds1 broke our gorgeous pedestal table (bought from a furniture store/over $1500/NOT cheap)...BROKE. He stood in the hook on chair when he was 4yo and jumped up and down like it was a diving board. Our oak table gave out before the seat did. Good for ds, bad for the poor table. :(
They're also so easy to keep clean. Mine fit perfectly in the dishwasher. :thumbsup:

zactayaus

My fp space saver highchair fits perfect at our table with the tray on (it's height adjustable). Gavin gets a big kick out of being right there with us while we're eating. I'd get your's back from your mom and try it again.

APmama2MAK

This is the one we have and it is by far my favorite Ive tried or used with others children (while watching them).

mine is blue and green like this one

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Deluxe-Booster/dp/B0000DEW8N"]Amazon.com: Fisher-Price Healthy Care Deluxe Booster Seat - Blue/Green/Gray: Baby[/ame]

and these are the same but they chose some interesting colors lol

http://www.target.com/B7275-Healthy...0&searchRank=price&searchPage=1&searchSize=30

http://www.target.com/Fisher-Price-...0&searchRank=price&searchPage=1&searchSize=30

http://www.target.com/Fisher-Price-...0&searchRank=price&searchPage=1&searchSize=30

xxluckychicxx

We have a few of these and :love::love::love: them. Several of my mommy friends also have them and love them just as much.

littleangelfire

I had this one in a different print, and I LOVED it. It was cheap at Walmart (don't think they carry it anymore), but it was a 3-in-1 or something like that. Was a regular high chair, height adjustable so it could be scooted right up to a table or used with the included tray. The seat also came all the way off and the footrest came off so that you could strap the seat to a regular chair and use it that way. And the legs folded when not in use. And it reclined for new born feeding and had a bib/towel rack on the back.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cosco-High-Chai...QcmdZViewItemQQptZFeeding?hash=item3a55da43e8

marjen

I definitely agree with the PP about the Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster Seat. We have the dark red/ivory one, and it's great. We actually keep ours in the car and use it at restaurants...it fits in booths and on chairs, and we don't have to wait to use a grimy restaurant high chair :) It's also handy to have to use at grandparents' and friends' houses.

At our house we use the Chicco 360 Hook on Chair :love:

JOII

This one for sure! I tried 2 other kinds before the Health Care and they did not work for me. Anything with any type of crack or crevice in the bottom area of the chair just does not work. The Healthy Care is totally smooth on the bottom and sides of the seating area. My daughter never had a real high chair, she started out in this seat at 5 months. I will be doing the same and getting another when my babe is old enough. I dont know if I have ever heard a bad thing about this one. The amazon reviews are excellent.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC