Myth Busters can't escape a sinking car!

Did anyone else see this episode? They put to the test the commonly held notion that you can't open the door of a sinking vehicle until the water level inside the car is equal to the water level outside of it (basically, once it's almost full of water). They found this was TRUE. The door would not open until the water pressure inside was equal to the water pressure outside. The awful part, though, was that it took almost two whole minutes for this pressure stabilization to happen. :( So, in a RL situation, waiting this long to be able to open the door (or, wasting precious oxygen fighting to open it the whole time), the passengers would be dead.

Then they attempted to debunk the myth about electric windows failing underwater (shorting out), or being able to roll down a manual window. With x-amount of pounds of pressure against both kinds of windows (recreating the amount of water pressure at about 2 ft. depth), BOTH types of mechanisms failed to open. The pressure pushes the glass against the car's frame with too much weight for the mechanism to work. BUT the good news was, with their testing, an electric window DID continue to operate correctly for at least 45 min., proving that at least they don't short out and trap you inside.

Next they tested the myth that there was some specific window of opportunity that the door *would* open, before the car was too full of water. They did get the door open, but it took a tremendous amount of energy, and the guy using the other side of the vehicle for leverage to push against the driver's side door. It would be very difficult indeed to time the opening of the door just right, allowing for differences in vehicle size and liquid capacity.

Lastly, they tested the ability to break a window underwater, with variuos means and implements that one would usually have in a car (keys, cellphone, feet/kicking), and all failed to be able to break a window. Then they tried two different devices meant for breaking windows in emergencies, and they worked!

Long story short, if you drive over water, you may want to consider keeping one of these devices in your vehicle in case the unthinkable were ever to happen. It could save your life!

(Anyone who knows what these things are called, or who can offer a link, it would be greatly appreciated! I can't recall at the moment...)

ADS

swags

I didn't see the episode, but I believe what you may be refering to is a window punch. You can get them at most EMS or Fire Supply Stores, just remember to secure them so they dont become a projectile, but are still with in reach. A nother good thing to also pick up is a seat belt cutter, it can be obtained at the same places.

skaterbabs

My IL's owned a knife shop for years (they retired last summer) and one of the items they sold was a window punch/seatbelt cutter designed for paramedics. It wasn't expensive, and if there were enough people here who wanted them I could arrange for an order of them to be placed.

LuvBug

there was a thread about seatbelt cutters and window breakers just yesterday(or the day before? or sometime this week? lol!).

Id be interested in one

skaterbabs

Well, if there's enough interst I'll ask MIL about ordering some. I don't know how much they'll be yet - I can ask tomorrow.

LuvBug

once you know how much they will be post a new thread to see if there is interest. I know they seemed to be good interest in that thread I was talking about.

Synchro246

there was a thread about seatbelt cutters and window breakers just yesterday(or the day before? or sometime this week? lol!).

Id be interested in one

Yeah! That was my baby. . .I am planning on getting a window punch/cutter combo, but the more I think about it the more I think it might be beneficial to have them seperate.

southpawboston

Then they attempted to debunk the myth about electric windows failing underwater (shorting out), or being able to roll down a manual window. With x-amount of pounds of pressure against both kinds of windows (recreating the amount of water pressure at about 2 ft. depth), BOTH types of mechanisms failed to open. The pressure pushes the glass against the car's frame with too much weight for the mechanism to work.

not surprised by this.

BUT the good news was, with their testing, an electric window DID continue to operate correctly for at least 45 min., proving that at least they don't short out and trap you inside.

that totally surprises me... given my background as an installer (and having studied electrical engineering for awhile) i would not have expected that result!

Lastly, they tested the ability to break a window underwater, with variuos means and implements that one would usually have in a car (keys, cellphone, feet/kicking), and all failed to be able to break a window. Then they tried two different devices meant for breaking windows in emergencies, and they worked!

Long story short, if you drive over water, you may want to consider keeping one of these devices in your vehicle in case the unthinkable were ever to happen. It could save your life!

good to know.

Simplysomething

BUT the good news was, with their testing, an electric window DID continue to operate correctly for at least 45 min., proving that at least they don't short out and trap you inside.

This is good to know. I know the likely hood of me going over the side of a bridge is slim (but not nil, considering the amount of bridges in this area)...but I'm am still completely terrified of it.

I wonder if it doesn't fail because there is some protection built, in the event of submersion? Or just a fluke?

That's it. I'm never driving again. Cars are too scary!

southpawboston

I wonder if it doesn't fail because there is some protection built, in the event of submersion? Or just a fluke?

i wondered the same thing... what kind of car did they test??? that may not apply to all cars! also it may depend on how salty the water is... if it's ocean water, it's going to short out the car's electical system VERY fast (few seconds).

mominabigtruck

I watched it and the whole time I was wondering well its all fine if its just you in the car but what if you have kids. They said the only way you can open the door is if you wait for the car to completely fill but what are the chances of you and your kids being able to hold your breath for that long. I wondered if because the engine makes the front heavy and sink first if you could crawl out of the back through the trunk, therefore being able to take your kids out with you.

Synchro246

I watched it and the whole time I was wondering well its all fine if its just you in the car but what if you have kids. They said the only way you can open the door is if you wait for the car to completely fill but what are the chances of you and your kids being able to hold your breath for that long. I wondered if because the engine makes the front heavy and sink first if you could crawl out of the back through the trunk, therefore being able to take your kids out with you.

This is definitly where an SUV or a van would have an advantage. I think I would try to immediately get in the backseat and undo the kiddos. I don't know about exiting thru the trunk in my Honda. I could "pop" it before going to the back seat, but I couldn't get into the trunk (not with a seat installed anyway). That might let the air out faster. . .wait, maybe it wouldn't open because of the pressure thing.
I'd just have to settle with leaving thru the rear doors.
Kids may not be able to stay under water for very long, but if they get rescue breathing promptly it's very effective. This is a good skill to know how to do IN the water as well as full CPR out of the water.

Splash

I have a Life Hammer (that's actually what it's called), but we only have one. My mother in law bought it several years ago (when she still liked me) because she was concerned about us driving over bridges all the time (at the time I still worked in Tampa, so I had to go over at least one long bridge every day).
I'm terrified of that damn bridge. It's my main reason for wanting Charlie forward facing, even though I know it's a dumb reason. But seeing as how I'm on an island, bridges are a fact of life. Okay it's not really an island, there is a tiny strip of land big enough for one road to get over, but it's going 30 miles out of my way.
And yes, knowing how to do CPR in and out of the water is very important. Most people have enough basic knowledge of it that they could wing it, but it's still a very necessary thing to know how to do correctly.

LEAW

Yah, I've thought about this too, and while waiting for the car to fill up, I'd probably grab kids out of seats, put infant in a sling, get rid of unnecessary clothing (shoes, jeans on toddler, coats etc)...

Is there even a door release for the back hatch of the van? That' s something I don't know (guess I'll check today!)

Given the amt. of time I guess it would take to fill the car, I could uninstall car seats and climb into the trunk of dh's car if needed...

southpawboston

Is there even a door release for the back hatch of the van? That' s something I don't know (guess I'll check today!)

typically not. SUVs, wagons and hatchbacks usually don't have inside releases, but sedans with trunks separated from the interior do... they are designed for if you get locked inside the trunk. that can't happen in a hatch/wagon/SUV.

LuvBug

Seperate in case there are two adults to work the situation. But I don't really know, it's just speculation.

that makes sense... only maybe get 2 combo ones instead of seperate so you each could have the option incase its quicker to cut at the same time then break at the same time or something. kwim? lol!

LuvBug

Yah, I've thought about this too, and while waiting for the car to fill up, I'd probably grab kids out of seats, put infant in a sling, get rid of unnecessary clothing (shoes, jeans on toddler, coats etc)...

yes, start removing clothing. You may end up naked depending on what you are wearing. Take off shoes and heavy pants(especially blue jeans) and any other item that might slow you down.

breaking the window would help the car fill quicker. stablizing it faster?

granolamama

This is going to sound weird, but ever since I saw Beetlejuice as a teenager, I've planned that if I were ever going over the side of a bridge I would quickly roll down all the windows before hitting the water. I don't know whether or not I would be fast enough to do this. Luckily, we don't have any big rivers or lakes or oceans around here, especially since 2-3 of my children don't swim well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC