Question Monterey wings issue

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I have found that my dd's side wings keep getting wider. I turn the knob so they are at the smallest setting. A few days later I notice that the shoulder belt is not fitting her as well and check to find the side wings have moved out.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm going to call SK and ask them about it.

ADS

ginny4

my boys use the monterey in the widest setting so it hasn't been an issue for us. however i've heard people complain & i can tell it easily widens. i'm really thinking the monterey is just not gonna be the seat for my skinny shouldered DD like i wanted/planned it to be.:(

let me know if you ever find out about a "fix" for it

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Ginny, I'll let you know. I'm annoyed because the fit is good when the wings are in. I had not noticed the issue until I posted pics and someone asked if the wings were all the way in. I went and checked and they weren't even though I had them in when we put it in the car. So, I fixed it but they keep coming out!!!! UGH.

I need to call them.

steph_s

Not that this seat actually fits my son, but I was considering it because of all the good recommendations I heard on this site about it. Now I wonder why it's recommended so highly when the seat widens and could potentially harm a child when it adjusts making the belt fit badly!

If it was say an 5-pt harness car seat with infinite harness adjusters and the harnesses slid and didn't stay at the right level no one would recommend that seat, so why the difference?

Kat_Momof3

I have the opposite problem... the wings always want to go narrower... maybe it depends on the vehicle seat?

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Not that this seat actually fits my son, but I was considering it because of all the good recommendations I heard on this site about it. Now I wonder why it's recommended so highly when the seat widens and could potentially harm a child when it adjusts making the belt fit badly!

If it was say an 5-pt harness car seat with infinite harness adjusters and the harnesses slid and didn't stay at the right level no one would recommend that seat, so why the difference?

I had actually never heard of the problem before so not sure how wide spread it is. While I would say that it makes the seat belt fit on my dd worse than I would like, the belt fit is still acceptable and NOT dangerous. It is just closer to the edge of her shoulder than I would prefer. When the wings are wider it gives the child more room. If they shift more one way the seat belt might fit a bit differently.

Maggie

This issue is nothing at all like a malfunctioning harness. Not even close.

When the wings open up, it doesn't move the belt guide, which is on the headrest portion of the seat. It also doesn't cause the lap portion to move at all. The armrests that hold the lapbelt in place are fixed and have nothing to do with the wings. It does allow more room in the shoulder area, so the child could possibly move more to the left or right causing the belt to move a bit on their shoulder. However, a child that moves so much that the belt moves to a dangerous position has no business being in a booster. Even at the widest setting the belt still fit is still acceptable on my DD.

However, I have never felt my daughter was unsafe. I just check occasionally, just like I do with all my other installs, to make sure the wings are where they should be. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC