Seat for SN child, did I suggest the right ones?

canadiangie

I got a call today from a parent of a 5 y/o, 40lb, 38" tall child who has microcephaly, and is the opposite of low-tone; rather he's rigid. He has a trach, and I believe a feeding tube. He also needs suctioning throughout the day. I was not offered his actual dx, and did not feel right in asking.

Dad was going to buy a Frontier and was going to place a pillow under the front end of the seat to give it more recline. I explained that this wasn't a safe option. He told me that his ds needs to be reclined to keep his airway open, and also to aid in them being able to suction him, etc. So I suggested the TF and MR65. These are the two seats I thought would offer the most ff'ing recline... the MR65 being my top pick in that regard, though I'm not sure if it will be tall enough for him.

I also of course brought up the idea of an actual SN seat but he said the Children's Hospital said he could just go into a booster -- that most parents just move to a booster and use pillows for side support. He said that they won't help him order one and that the doctor won't suggest he needs one. In a nutshell it sounds like this family is on their own if they want him in a 5 point harness.

So anyway, I mostly just wanted some feedback from anyone wanting to offer any. Any other seats I might have suggested?

Oh, and just to add, right now he's in a EB 3-in-1 and with the base off and the kickstand tucked up it's borderline too upright for him (hence my not suggesting the CA).

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If he fits in the 3-in-1 by height, he'll fit in the MyRide for at least a bit more. I agree that the recline makes it a good choice.

Shaunam

The MR is awesome, but he might not fit for very long. I'd suggest a regent. It'll give him plenty of room to grow and I'm guessing he's going to need a harness for a while. It has decent recline and they can use blankets to prop him on either side if needed.

You said he's rigid, but do you know if he can coordinate and move somewhat properly? There's a big difference between a rigid kid who can walk and move around and a rigid kid who can't even sit unassisted, ya know?

I can't believe his doctor would suggest a booster if the kid still needs recline!!! Shame on them. :thumbsdown:

Evolily

I don't think she can get a regent, as she's in canada?

Do they have a van with captains chairs? One thing some special needs techs recommend is buy is a Safety 1st/Safeguard GO, and then recline the seat with the GO installed. I'm not sure if the GO is available in Canada, though?

Maedze

Oh, dang, the Recaros aren't in Canada, either, are they? In that case, yeah, the My Ride is probably the best option.

canadiangie

Vehicle was a Suburu Impreza.

No Regent, Recaro, or GO here.

Shauna I'm not sure about his rigidity. Dad wasn't super open about his ds's dx and I didn't want to pry too much. I did ask tactfully if it was CP and dad said no. For some reason my gut told me CDH, but don't ask me why.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC