Am I just dumb??

fyrfightermomma

Okay, I've been installing seats for a long time. Long before I became a tech I was very stringent with my seats. I've installed in so many cars even before becoming a tech, I can't even remember how many. Plus all the ones after becoming a tech. Plus all the ones I've owned/aunts/uncles grandparents etc.

I HATE our new Kia. Seriously. I couldn't get a Radian FFing in the 3rd row. Fine. It's a picky seat. So I put her GN back there. After huffing my big belly in the freezing cold for over 45 minutes and trying every trick in the book I finally got it at about 1/2-1" of movement. That's as good as it's getting. I've never gotten less than rock solid with any seat I've owned in any car I've owned. So to me, I'm not liking the 1" of movement

The Radian in the 2nd row (RFing, not captians seats, bench seat) was alright because of LATCH but I coudln't do seatbelt at all. Even LATCH was tricky. Much harder than my caravan and I couldn't get it very upright.

This is the first car ever I have had trouble getting seats in. They are never ever moving. I refuse. I've spent the whole week we've had it trying to put stupid seats in it!

I feel like a novice. Like I had no clue what I was doing.

What is wrong with me? Am I losing my touch or does this car just suck????

It's an 05 Sedona

Last edited:
ADS

todzwife

It's probably a combo of the car and the seat. I know for me, our Radian is THE hardest seat I have to install in my car. It takes a LOT of muscle, and at this point in my pregnancy, it's near impossible for me to do it myself.

And I'm sad to see you hate your Sedona. I'm planning to buy on 07-09 sometime in the next few weeks because we desperately need a bigger car and the price is right.

Is there other things you don't like about your car? I'm scared now.:eek:

Calideedle

I have issues with my '04 Sedona and the Radian. (bench in the middle too) So no you aren't dumb.

I am in the process of selling mine.

canadiangie

It's probably a combo of the car and the seat. I know for me, our Radian is THE hardest seat I have to install in my car. It takes a LOT of muscle, and at this point in my pregnancy, it's near impossible for me to do it myself.

And I'm sad to see you hate your Sedona. I'm planning to buy on 07-09 sometime in the next few weeks because we desperately need a bigger car and the price is right.

From what I've gathered there's a big difference between a '05 for example, and a '07/'08. There were some major changes after '06.

fyrfightermomma

It seems like all seats I've tried were hard other than the Marathon which I don't use for any of them anymore.

And no, don't be scared. I do like the car. I just don't like how the seats I have install LOL. Plus the vans were changed in 06, so the 06 and up aren't the same as the 05. And it sounds like the newer ones are much easier to install in :)

If I only had two kids it wouldn't be a problem. They both woudl go in the 2nd row. But I'll have 3, so one has to go back there. It just doesn't seem car seat friendly back there. The buckle stalk is like 4 inches long!

But I do really like the car itself, so don't worry!

todzwife

I don't know that anything could be any harder than my 07 Subaru Forester that I've been struggling with. Oh, and leather seats are always fun too (not):rolleyes:

Thank you for your thoughts. I've got my eye on a fully loaded 07 for around 15k and I would just be tickled if we can get it (it's in a different state, having BIL work on getting it to his dealership). My poor 6 year old is sandwiched in my car right now and I feel so bad for him. He doesn't complain, but he can't be comfy.

Last edited:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
My poo 6 year old is sandwiched in my car right now and I feel so bad for him. He doesn't complain, but he can't be comfy.

Maybe if you stopped referring to him as poo.....:whistle:

LOL...okay, i know, it's obviosuly a typo.

The 06+ are easy frm what I could tell, when we were test driving..I've got generic common seats, AOE, nauti.....

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Maybe if you stopped referring to him as poo.....:whistle:

LOL...okay, i know, it's obviosuly a typo.

The 06+ are easy frm what I could tell, when we were test driving..I've got generic common seats, AOE, nauti.....

That seriously made me laugh for like 5 minutes!

3plus2isme

Could it just be because you're pregnant and it's a new vehicle so you're not used to it?

I had a he-ll of a time installing the frontiers this morning in the truck even though I've done it before... the gut.. I mean belly.. was making me huff & puff... and now I think I've pulled something in my back.. nice. lol

bethng

From what I've gathered there's a big difference between a '05 for example, and a '07/'08. There were some major changes after '06.

I have a 06 and I usually have no issues installing my vairous seats. The FN sbp was impossible though. Rock solid LBP. I have always thought my van to be very car seat friendly. Have to say I have never installed a RN in there though. So cant speak to that.

Melanie

I have an 04 Sedona. That's discouraging about the Radian in the third row. I was going to try that set up this afternoon. I have been able to get it FF in the center of the third row. But then there's no tether. I know you're a tech and already know all the tricks, but just curious-did you try installing that radian outboard and popping the seatbelt button off? That is what I'm planning on trying this afternoon. Last time I tried this (with the button on) I broke the plastic casing on the female part of the seatbelt. fyi: you can't buy the plastic piece and Kia wants $75 for the seatbelt part. Superglue worked for me:eek:

I'll post back if I'm somehow magically successful.

fyrfightermomma

I have an 04 Sedona. That's discouraging about the Radian in the third row. I was going to try that set up this afternoon. I have been able to get it FF in the center of the third row. But then there's no tether. I know you're a tech and already know all the tricks, but just curious-did you try installing that radian outboard and popping the seatbelt button off? That is what I'm planning on trying this afternoon. Last time I tried this (with the button on) I broke the plastic casing on the female part of the seatbelt. fyi: you can't buy the plastic piece and Kia wants $75 for the seatbelt part. Superglue worked for me:eek:

I'll post back if I'm somehow magically successful.

Nope, the button didn't interfere at all. Wasn't even close. It literally just wouldn't get tight cause even with 3 turns of the stalk, it was way too long. I didn't do center either. I'm sure it would work but a lapbelt and no tether doesn't make me feel great. The belt path of the Radian was just too low on the carseat.

The GN had a higher up belt path and that worked better. Not great, but better. That way the stalk wasn't too long.

I wish you luck though! Lemme know if you are successful.

firemomof3

I hear your pain. I had an 03 Sedona and the 3rd row was a PITA!!! I could get the GN, Signo, Cargo, Frontier and MyRide installed but that was all I tried. I now have an 06 Sedona and its a completely different experience! Its been very car seat friendly :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC