Good crash story :)

ckhagen

I'm not a usual poster here, but I have read on occasion and send friends with carseat questions here all the time.

Anyhow, I just wanted to drop a little note about what happened to us over the weekend and reiterate how good carseats with proper installation are so important.

I was driving my Scion xA (2004) with my 3 year old and 5 year old in the back seat. Normally I drive a Nissan Quest, but we switch around a lot and my Quest has been having issues with the heater, so I've been driving the smaller car. Anyone who is familiar with an xA will know that it's about the size of a Mini Cooper and although it rated high in crash tests, it's just so small that it's hard to imagine surviving a serious accident in it.

Anyhow, the short of it is that I was at a dead stop and was rear ended by a Yukon Denali XL traveling at a full 55-60mph.

My boys were safely buckled in their Britax Decathlon seats. Both of them are still under the limits for the LATCH, so both seats were secured with the LATCH and the back tether. We were hit very, very hard. I'm still in shock that the car performed so well, the seats performed so well and thankful that my airbags did not deploy (rear impact, shouldn't deploy) because it left me the visibility and awareness to turn the car around at practically a 90 degree angle before being hit by oncoming traffic, since the car was hit so hard that it sent us literally flying across a large median.

The boys were completely and I mean *completely* unharmed. My 5 year old complained a little about his crotch hurting from getting slammed against the center buckle. Other than that and a small bruise on his inner thigh, you would never know what we went through! They have not complained of any neck or shoulder pain which I've had a lot of. The rear of the car was packed so far forward that the Yukon came within about 4 inches of their heads. The car really amazed the fire and police crews... it held up incredibly well and crumpled in all the right places.

I should post some pics of the car when I get the downloaded. It literally has no rear end now and the rear axle is further back than the rear of the body now. Crazy!

ADS

urchin_grey

WOW. :eek: So glad you are all okay. That is super scary.

I'd love to see the pics though. :eek: I've only been in one serious wreck, and luckily that was pre-kiddo. The other driver had their baby with them though, and their seat wasn't installed properly. His seat was completely on its side. They were very lucky that he was alright. The driver got the worst of it though because it was his door that I hit (he pulled out in front of me and the speed limit was 55 so I hit him pretty hard).

Maedze

Wow :eek:

I am so glad you and your children are unharmed :thumbsup:

You probably all ready know this but your seats need to be destroyed and replaced. Let us know if you'd like suggestions for replacement seats :)

Mommy0608

WOW! :eek: What an amazing story! I'm so glad that you and the kids are okay, and I hope the passengers in the other vehicle are okay too.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us!

SavsMom

Wow - very glad that you were all okay. Would love to see pics of the car. Its amazing that with all the technology today - even a small car can protect you in an accident :thumbsup:

Madeline410

So glad you are all ok! Thanks so much for posting. Give yourself a pat on the back for keeping your little ones safe :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC