Vent My sister's car was stolen..with MY Marathon in it!!(need recs)

mamabear

I recently moved my DD2 to the Frontier, and my sisters carseat was expiring, so I LENT her my cowmoo MA. It still had 2 years on it. I was cool with letting her use it until it expired, because they are tight on money, but the agreement was she would give me the cover back to sell once she could no longer use it(still in very good shape).
Now it's gone.I had a sentimental attachment to that seat too. It never really felt "gone" because I saw DN in it everyday. Now it's gone and I had no time to prep:(:eek:

I don't know how the insurance will work, I don't have a receipt for it anymore. DO they need one??

Bottom line is, she'll need to buy another seat. I feel bad about asking for a few bucks to cover what selling the cover would have brought me. I guess I'll cut my losses.

Can anyone recommend a good seat for her?? DN is 2yrs. He's TINY (23lbs??) less than 5th percentile for height and weight. She'll RF as long as he can. I was thinking a My Ride?? She plans on looking for another used Accord.I don't think a Radian will work for her (her and her DH are tall and need to push the front seats back for all the leg room in the front as they can get, plus I don't think Radians install well in pre LATCH Hondas??)

Thanks

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Geez, I am sorry. That really sucks! You MAY get it back. Atleast you could still use the cover.

mamabear

what's funny is this is the second car she's had stolen in 3 years. Both times right in front of her house while they slept.

The last car was found the DAY the insurance company cut her a check. They found it because of parking tickets.

brightredmtn

I was fully reimbursed for the price of my Marathon plus tax when it was stolen along with my car. I did not have to submit a receipt, I told them the value and it was added to the pay out of my car (minus the deductible.) Since the seat was a car related item it fell under my car insurance policy. Everything else that was in my car fell under my renter's policy.

mamabear

I was fully reimbursed for the price of my Marathon plus tax when it was stolen along with my car. I did not have to submit a receipt, I told them the value and it was added to the pay out of my car (minus the deductible.) Since the seat was a car related item it fell under my car insurance policy. Everything else that was in my car fell under my renter's policy.

good to know....thanks:)

Auburn

what's funny is this is the second car she's had stolen in 3 years. Both times right in front of her house while they slept.

The last car was found the DAY the insurance company cut her a check. They found it because of parking tickets.

It wouldn't happen to be an accord would it? Most stolen car in America.;) Mine is a 95. Has been stolen and recovered twice as well (when it belonged to my parents, we bought it from them). Also from the driveway of their house in a quiet suburban area. My mom kept cursing it when she'd get it back becuase she wanted the pay out. I love my accord though and would get another one in a second.

I have a Radian SL installed RF center in my pre-latch 95 Honda Accord and it's rock solid. I found it pretty easy to install, but the center hump where the armrest folds down does make it a little tricky when tightening the harness. I can also get it rf behind the passenger seat just fine. But I'm short. My husband would be a little squished in the same spot. I've actually gotten a really good install on every seat I've tried in the center location. Total opposite of my husband's Subaru where every single install is a struggle.

Misty-Bug

in Canada....

anything mounted to the vehicle is covered. Including carseats. Or a first aid kid if it is mounted somewhere in the vehicle. They may recover the car and if they do they will give back your seat. Take the cover and trash the rest. They will replace the seat for her.

ETA: I understand the frustration of loosing the seat and the cover, thus the money but I personally wouldn't be asked to be reimbursed for it. It is a risk we take when we loan out seats. :twocents: Sorry. :eek:

no way! we had an old accord stolen when we were first married.. it was like an 86 though, and was stolen by a guy at the repair shop.. he took it and left and never came back to work.. the car was never found and we never got anything for it from insurance or anything.. we had a minimal policy since it was a cheap old car that barely was running anyways.. it was paid off and all at least.

mamabear

She just found out today her car insurance will only cover $250 for items in the car (that included the seat). Her homeowners insurance has a $1000 deductible. She also had her BOB stroller in the car, so the seat and the stroller equal about $700. She doesn't think she had much more in there (some toys and stuff).It looks like she's not going to be able to replace either.

I don't know what seat to tell her to get now. They're broke:(

Misty-Bug

true fit?

that just doesn't make ANY sense?? Maybe it is just different up here. The seat is secured in the car so it would be totally covered. IF I had my stroller in there it wouldn't have been because it is not secured down to the vehicle. Something seems fishy to me?? :confused:

brightredmtn

true fit?

that just doesn't make ANY sense?? Maybe it is just different up here. The seat is secured in the car so it would be totally covered. IF I had my stroller in there it wouldn't have been because it is not secured down to the vehicle. Something seems fishy to me?? :confused:

That's how it was for me too. Maybe there are different levels of insurance you can carry though?

Melanie

Each state has their own insurance laws so it can really vary. I know here in AZ they try to say it's covered under homeowners/renters because it's personal property and not permanently attached to the car. I always thought I'd put up the fight that attaching with LATCH does make it attached but luckily I haven't had to have that battle.

She may want to check with her homeowner's insurance about covering the property of others. For me, I have $500 in coverage for property of others that is damaged. The deductible doesn't apply. It's for something like this scenereo...my kid is at someone's house and accidentally knocks over something and breaks it. Maybe just maybe since the seat was in her care and custody it would be covered under something like that.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Do some very hard reading. You may have to get technical. Get her policy jacket if you can and read it thoroughly. Yes, things vary by state, but I highly doubt it varies that much. When one of my insured's vehicles was stolen we had to get technical about things "directly attached" to the vehicle... Her carseat was covered, her Garmin was covered, her laptop plugged into the power inverter was not, the power inverter was...

Even if her HO policy had a lower deductible, I'd highly doubt a couple hundred dollars would be worth the theft mark on her CLUE. It would make it harder to switch ins companies and cause an increase in her premiums. On an Auto policy theft is a Comprehensive claim and isn't a "chargeable offense" as I like to call them.

About using her HO to file a liability claim for the seat... it *may* be possible. It is someone elses property and she was liable for it... Would be nice for her if the stroller was borrowed too.

Melanie is right... the seat was, as we in the insurance world put it, in her care, custody, and control. It's like borrowing the neighbor's lawnmower and it getting stolen before you give it back.

She just found out today her car insurance will only cover $250 for items in the car (that included the seat). Her homeowners insurance has a $1000 deductible. She also had her BOB stroller in the car, so the seat and the stroller equal about $700. She doesn't think she had much more in there (some toys and stuff).It looks like she's not going to be able to replace either.

I don't know what seat to tell her to get now. They're broke:(

Aww, that stinks. If they're really short of funds they can try calling the tech at the Hayward CHP - I called them about a year or two ago when a low income mom in our multiples club needed seats, the tech told me that they're supposed to provide seats to anyone who needs them even if they aren't from Hayward.
this is the info from seatcheck.org - I don't know if they have the current tech name since the last time I used the info here I had to call 2 or 3 places b/c a few of the places listed didn't have techs any more

California Highway Patrol
2434 Whipple Road
Hayward, CA 94544

Hours: Call for appointment

Phone: 510-489-1500

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC