RF in Center Seat w/ Fold Down Console?

newbiema

Hello! I just bought a new 2010 Fusion today, woohoo! I needed a family car to replace my Beetle, and an upgrade from my husband's car, which is a very crammed Chevy Cavalier. Anyway, I should actually have enough room in the back seat to put a convertible car seat rearfacing in the center position (my son currently rides in the back passenger seat). However, my car's backseat has a fold down center console for drinks and stuff. Maybe I am wrong, but I swear that I read a post or two on this board about how carseats + center consoles don't always mix. Am I completely mistaken? And if this is true in somehow, can someone please elaborate on why this is the case? TIA!!

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

I think it will depend on the car. So the best thing to do would be to read the manual of you new car to see what they say. I know that I have installed a RF seat in front of a fold down arm rest, but it was only after I had read completely through the vehicle manual to make sure it was okay & not prohibited.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Evenflo used to say it wasn't all right. I don't know of any cars that forbade it, nor do I know of any current restrictions. But I've been wrong many a time.

Wendy

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Evenflo used to prohibit installation in a spot with a fold-down armrest, but they removed that restriction years ago. I don't believe that any child restraints prohibit it now.

Basically, as long as your vehicle allows car seat installation in a specific position, and you can get a good install, you should be fine. (I'm not referring to LATCH rules here, of course.)

newbiema

Ok, sounds like I have some homework to do lol! I just skimmed my car's manual for seat safety, and they did talk about installing a car seat in the center position so I would think that is possible. I have an ETFA, so I will double-check that manual as well to make sure it is ok. I have it installed with the LATCH in my hub's car, so I never actually read the seat belt installation section. I am actually thinking that if DS rides with me this weekend, I will just use the LATCH in the passenger seat until I can get a second car seat to install with the seatbelt in the center position. I will have to reread, but I don't think a center LATCH install is possible.

Honestly, I am a little too sleep-deprived to look into it tonight... the passenger safety section of the manual was at LEAST 30 pages long :eek:

aeormsby

A quick way to check is look to see if there's a tether spot for the center seat. Most vehicles will have a tether for the center even if there isn't Latch there - and they wouldn't put it there if they didn't want you to install a seat there.
Ann

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's fine, Ford has never had that prohibition (Saab used to, maybe still does, sell a strap to keep the armrest up), and the EFTA doesn't say it's not ok. Evenflo stopped saying not to install in front of an armrest back in about 2003, they took the prohibition off all their old seats, too. It turns out that flip down armrests caused NO known injuries, while being in the window seat is a little less safe than being in the center, so they decided it was a counterproductive rule to have :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC