car seats and potty training

NannyMom

ARG! What do you do? Sofi has done so well with potty training. In 2 1/2 months, she only had 1 accident in the car, and that was my fault (didn't make her go in the morning, carpool line was too long, she didn't make it). No more riding in the Radian. Darn those black pins.

Silly me, I thought the TFP had an easy to remove cover. She had an accident in there today. I put a receiving blanket over it, and we finished the day. We got home, and man that had more steps than I thought to remove the cover. :rolleyes: It came out of the washer (delicate) full of soap suds :confused: So into the tub it went for a rinse. It is now soaking wet. No chance it'll dry by morning. I could put my Monet TF cover on, but I might as well just install the TF (I had to take out the TFP to dry the vehicle seat anyway :rolleyes:).

And how on earth do I get my vehicle seat clean? Do I have to get it detailed? Why couldn't the darn cover just absorb it all... it sure did alot of absorbing in the bath tub.

So now, it's 9:30 at night. Sofi's asleep, cookies (for class tomorrow) are out of the oven. And I'm going outside to install a carseat. Can't do it in the morning, not enough time.

So..... after that long rant..... my question is.... what do you do when potty training? Do you just go through this with every accident? Pull over an put a diaper on her (just in case) she says "I gotta go potty!"? I am putting a towel under the carseat.

ADS

swtgi1982

I know this is not ideal, but what I have done is bought one of the really thin piddle pads, it still does not catch all, but usually good enough that the little that hits the seat if any, usually is not enough to worry about. As far as your vehicle seat, yea I am out there on that one too! I wish I knew. The van seat in the way back of my van smells too from DD!

steph_s

It sounds bad, but go buy those puppy potty training pads at the pet store, or adult chucks (next to the adult diapers at the store) to put in the seat under her. I have done this or have used a cloth diaper (the cheap pre-folded kind sold at walmart) for my potty training kids. This way when they have an accident I can just replace the pad and change their clothes. The adult chucks though are HUGE so you may need to cut them in half to use.

steph_s

Forgot your vehicle seat. White vinegar and water mixed half and half in a spray bottle. Soak the seat where the urine is with the mixture and then soak up as much as you can. Then spray again and let it dry. It kills all the bacteria in the urine so it doesn't leave a smell and 9 times out of 10 it won't leave a stain as long as you soak up the first time you spray the seat well.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Put the TFP cover in the washer and put it through the spin cycle a few times---that should get most of the water out. My mom gave Nicholas a 4 oz bottle of EBM in his seat. Well he managed to spill most of it. I wish she had only put 2 oz of milk in it...since there were only 2 oz bags in the milk cooler, but I didn't tell her that part.

I know they are technically a "no-no" but I've read other techs reccomend piddle pads. Are they made by SK? If so, I think you can use them with the radian.

Also---if you can get your hands on some blue pads/chucks(the kind of pads they put on hospital beds to absorb stuff after you have a baby), they should be thin enough to to under her and protect her seats.

Susan

NannyMom

Thanks. I'll have to go buy some piddle pads. We're not using the Radian anyway, since I'm inept at installing it in the center :rolleyes:

Thanks Susan for the cover advice. I put it through the spin cycle, and it's much better. Now hanging to dry :)

I put my monet cover on the TFP. I really prefer to use the TFP now that I have it :eek: It fits fine. I was worried about it being an issue (tightness) around the level indicator, but it's not :) It totally covers the indicator, but I sized up the angle before I finished snapping on the cover ;)

cryswilkins

I put a pull-up over panties when ever we leave the house. I don't have the time or the energy to be dealing with pee in a seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I used a SK "Dry Seat" in the Radian with my 3 year old. And I don't bother with the pins any more. :duck:

I also have a travel potty in the trunk (the kind with a plastic zipper bag ring, that you put a zipper bag in so you're not carrying an open potty full of urine home-- I got mine from One Step Ahead) that I keep already set up, it takes 1 minute to get it out and 40 seconds more to unbuckle kid and plop her on it. So if we can safely pull over, she can go in the potty, no need to drive around for 5 minutes looking for one.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I keep a little potty in the car. In the beginning of potty training, I make them go in it at every opportunity. Now it's just there for emergencies. Neither of my boys have had an accident in their car seat so I'm no help on that front.

tiggercat

I keep a potty in the van. Megan is 4, but doesn't always give adequate warning and I hate taking seats out to clean them in the cold.
As for the cover, run it through the spin cycle of the washing machine to get the water out, then it will dry quicker.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC