Here is what Learning Curve CS told me... What do you think?

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Today ds threw up in his TFP. I mean hurled. So bad that when I took the seat out it had run threw to the seat.

I called them to see what is the best method for cleaning the shell, harness, etc. The rep told me she would email instructions for routing the harness and I was to take it off, soak it in the tub/sink of water with the cover and drip dry both. :confused: I have always been told not to thoroughly wet/wash the harness. I was actually thinking I'd order a new harness if they'd let me. I just can't see getting the smell out. With her method I could, but lke I said, I thought it was a no-no.

Thought I'd come ask ya'll before I wash anything...

Dh voted to hose the entire thing off. :mad::rolleyes: Men..

ADS

stephie1012

DS did the same thing in his TF, it was horrible!! I called LC to ask them about it and the harness strap is not removable. That seat is sooo hard to clean. But i was also told on here by a few that you cannot remove the harness strap.

I scrubbed the shell and cleaned the straps with a toothbrush, it was a nasty job! the crotch buckle is still sticking though i think i need to flip the seat upside down and put the crotch part in water.

jess71903

Ambassador
I don't think the CS rep knew what she was talking about. DS spilled milk in his and I didn't realize it until it was chunky and super stinky. I washed the cover, and took the rest of the seat outside and ran the water hose in all the nooks and crannies in the bottom of the seat until the water ran clean, and just wiped the harness off. That's what I would do in this case.

Raegansmom4

You'd be ok soaking the cover - I'd even machine wash it on cold, handwash cycle, and line dry. As for the harness, I'd put a couple of drops of baby shampoo in warm water, and sponge the heck out of the harness, then "rinse" by sponging w/ clean water. You can get the harness fairly wet, just no soaking or submerging. Or, if you can order a new harness, go that route.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Glad we are all on the same page. :thumbsup:

It really made me look like a d-a to dh. I told him to never never never soak the straps on the seats. I had the phone on speaker when she said it. :mad:

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I'm not sure why you would hesitate to soak the straps in plain water or water w/ a mild soap if that's what Learning Curve recommends. You don't want to machine wash or use harsh chemicals, but water isn't going to dissolve the fibers or anything. When I got my first Britax seats, that's how they recommended cleaning the straps. It worked great!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm not sure why you would hesitate to soak the straps in plain water or water w/ a mild soap if that's what Learning Curve recommends. You don't want to machine wash or use harsh chemicals, but water isn't going to dissolve the fibers or anything. When I got my first Britax seats, that's how they recommended cleaning the straps. It worked great!

:yeahthat:
I would most definitely soak the straps in clear water too before following some of the suggestions mentioned by other posters.

Somehow I think baking soda would be much more abrasive and potentially damaging to the straps when rubbed in with a toothbrush or even a soft cloth.

Me personally? I'd take the harness off and wipe the straps down with a really wet cloth. If it didn't take the smell out, I'd soak it for a short period as recommended. I'd much rather see a short soak in water than using baby shampoo or baking soda and some sort of implement to try and scrub the yuck out. :thumbsup:

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Depending on where the dirty spot is, you don't even need to take the straps all the way off. Just sit a bowl of water in the seat, unthread them from the back, and put the loose part into the bowl. Don't scrub with anything except a soft cloth, and don't use any other chemicals like baking soda, vinegar, oxyclean, peroxide, etc.

babygirlsmom1005

Huh - when I called LC I was told by a CS rep the harness was not removable nor was it replaceable :confused:

My DS has pretty bad reflux and well, he refluxed all over his seat and I had to do the toothbrush and wash cloth to the harness while attached to the seat.

Lea_Ontario

Now, science wasn't my best subject, but I am completely failing to see how soaking in a tub of water (or even water with some mild shampoo) would do any kind of damage to the NYLON webbing of the harness.

I can see being told not to MACHINE wash the harness because the mechanical action of the machine could stretch it out.

But just water won't do anything to it.

:confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC