Seat options...

Freedom_Pixie

I know RFing is the best possible option but he throws a huge fit when he is RFing the whole ride. Anyway, my DS currently rides in TF and is at the #4 slots on it (he still has plenty of room height wise) but I'm just wondering (for future purposes, after the new baby turns 1 he/she is going to be in the TF) what seat to get DS. He will be close to 4 1/2 yrs old by then... I was looking at the GN (since we are on a budget) and the other one is a Frontier (out of the budget line). Some suggested getting a Radian, but that too is also beyond the budget (right now).

I know there are other car seats out there, but they only harness to 40 lbs.. and as it looks right now DS will be either over that or pretty close (too close for comfort). Any suggestions would be great. TIA. Oh, I also need to update DS' stats once I get them, soon.

ADS

Pixels

Nautilus is a good seat. Apex65 is good if he's a wider kid, and your vehicle (and any other one he may ride in) has adjustable headrests. The Apex requires support from the vehicle at least up to the top of the child's ears.

Qarin

I know that thinking these things through is kind of fun, but you're talking about 19 months from now, right? I wouldn't really go there now, there's really no telling what seats will be available by then! Even if you decide to move the baby to a convertible seat earlier for whatever reason, it still won't be any sooner than next September...

If we were talking about today, I'd be thinking of a Nautilus or a Frontier... and since you actually have a year and a half you could save up. :)

Freedom_Pixie

I know that thinking these things through is kind of fun, but you're talking about 19 months from now, right? I wouldn't really go there now, there's really no telling what seats will be available by then! Even if you decide to move the baby to a convertible seat earlier for whatever reason, it still won't be any sooner than next September...

If we were talking about today, I'd be thinking of a Nautilus or a Frontier... and since you actually have a year and a half you could save up. :)

Good Point, but I would still like to think about it. I am thinking about getting it now, so DS can get used to it. He might have a hard time adjusting to the seat. I would keep the new baby RFing as long as possible, too, if anyone was wondering.

steph_s

My suggestion since your new one isn't born yet is to start putting $5 per week aside. At the end of 1 year's time you will have $260 for a new seat. If you start putting $5 per week away now you would add another $155 to that fund for new seats! When funds are short it's easier to save money just a little bit at a time!

Freedom_Pixie

What I am going to do is save up for a Keyfit 30 (around $205 with tax at target.com, without it is $189.99) for the new baby, and then save up for another seat for DS. With the Keyfit I should be able to save a bit longer (since I can keep the baby in it over a year), that way DS can stay in the TF until then I'm hoping he doesn't have a growth spurt (height wise in the mean time) but he might.

The Keyfit 30 seems to be well worth the price, I checked out the info on it and everything.

obamamama

Did I misread?
You said that your ds throws a fit if he's Rf the whole trip, but you said he's on the 4th slots. The 1,2,3rd positions are for RF, the 3,4th positions are for FF.

I was just pondering this today, my almost 3 year old has a long torso, he's ff on the 4th slots of the TF with some growing room. I'm hoping to move him to a Regent this Spring... maybe a Frontier. I don't think he's going to last past 5 in the harness of the Nautilus though.

DahliaRW

You might want to consider a graco safeseat, snugride32, or snugride35. You can usually find them cheaper than the keyfit, and the shell height is a bit taller so it'll last you longer. So more budget friendly (so more money towards your ds's seat) and longer use.

Freedom_Pixie

My DS is FFing not RFing. I just realized he still has a bit of room being on the 3rd slots of the TF. Right now I am indecisive about what infant carseat I want to get. Thanks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC