All new 2011 Toyota Sienna...

Jennifer mom to my 7

I did find this in regards to the seatback recline:

"When using LATCH anchors for a child restraint system, move the seat as far back as possible (second seat only), with the seatback close to the child restraint system."

To me, this statement seems to address more of a forward facing install - don't ya think?

Hmm, but I also think this indicates that there will be much less legroom for a 3rd row passenger if you need to move the seat all the way back while using latch. ANd the seatback close to the child restraint could also mean more upright rather than reclined (as I think people made comments as to why with latch they insist on the 5 clicks/11 clicks). They do not specify in my 05 manual that you need to do the clicks with seatbelt installs.

ADS

SavsMom

Why would it be different with latch vs. seatbelt? (In regards to having the seat all the way back in the 2nd row when using LATCH)...just wondering:confused:

Hmm, but I also think this indicates that there will be much less legroom for a 3rd row passenger if you need to move the seat all the way back while using latch. ANd the seatback close to the child restraint could also mean more upright rather than reclined (as I think people made comments as to why with latch they insist on the 5 clicks/11 clicks). They do not specify in my 05 manual that you need to do the clicks with seatbelt installs.

SavsMom

There is also no mention of anything in regards to doing the clicks for the rear facing belt install in the 2011 manual - I must say the manual is pretty vague, it just shows a few illustrations along with the basic installation info such as pulling the belth through the child restraint, make sure the belt isn't twisted, fully extend the shoulder belt and allow it to retract....etc etc.

Momtobeof3

If you can find the time, would you please double check the manual in the child restraint section and see if it addresses installing a seat there? I know my 05 8 passenger manual addresses installing seats with seatbelt in all positions, and makes the exceptions for using the middle of the third row, and how the spit seat in the rear needs to be lined up (at the same recline) to use the middle position with a child restraint.

If anyone wants to send me a private message I can send a 32 page PDF file of the 2011 Sienna manual regarding child restraint installs.

For those who have not seen the 2011 8 psg first hand, the middle jump seat is "attached to the captain's chair which is on the driver side of the vehicle. If you look closely at the posted pictures, the top of the mini-jump seat has a "post" which engages to the top of the captain chair. Also the driver's captain chair and the middle jump seat are integrated to slide together on one set of tracks, so you CANNOT move the middle seat independently.

Also, I called Toyota Customer Experience to ask about using the mini seat and was told this. "You can install 3 child seats in the THIRD row using seat belts if desired, but only 2 child seats in the outboard postions of the SECOND row." So I said, you are specifically saying the mini-jump seat is not safe for a car seat install and he said "YES, you are not allowed to put a car seat in the middle position."

So it is possible to fit 5 child restraints according to the mfg as long as you only need to use 3 upper tether positions.

I requested that he file a "customer comment/complaint" about the redesign, so if anyone here feels strongly about the missing upper tether or the reduced functionality of the middle row jump seat, I would call Toyota to let them know and maybe they can make a change for 2012!:twocents:

There is also no mention of anything in regards to doing the clicks for the rear facing belt install in the 2011 manual - I must say the manual is pretty vague, it just shows a few illustrations along with the basic installation info such as pulling the belth through the child restraint, make sure the belt isn't twisted, fully extend the shoulder belt and allow it to retract....etc etc.

Not sure if this is the same portion of the manual you are looking at, but I would say the manual talks about LATCH install with the second seat (pg 185) and third seat (pg 187) although they show a FF seat they don't say if the intall method is specific to FF or RF. It just talks about doing moving the seat back to access the LATCH.

I totally agree, that you need a PhD to decipher the manual - certainly not very clear for the average consumer.:thumbsdown:

crunchierthanthou

I'm attaching the child restraint section of the manual (thanks Momtobeof3 for sending it to me. :D). I'll attach it as a text file as well, although I expect just about everyone should be able to see a pdf.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Blah. Read the whole thing, didn't skim anything, and it is no clearer to me than before. I mean, technically, they didn't even address installing a seat in the outboard seats of the third row with seatbelts (although they didn't just say second seats, like they did with latch). I really believe they expect parents to only ever have to install 3 seats in the vehicle at one time. Sad.

SavsMom

It irritates me that they don't actually say that the middle seat cannot be used - why is that so hard for them to do? Ugh!
Even my Subaru manual addresses the fact that they do not recomend you use the middle seat in my Forester -
Toyota is starting to irritate the heck out of me - and I have to sell them :mad:

LeahsMommy

I finally looked at the new Sienna yesterday and am shocked as you are that there are only 3 LATCH and tethers in the vehicle. This is my situation and I would love any advice or tips on how I can choose a mini-van that will work for me. My DD is almost 14 months old and is RF'ing in a Britax Blvd. I am expecting twins in July and will have them RF'ing in Chicco Key Fits. I currently drive a Nissan Altima so there is no question that I need to get rid of this vehicle. DH drives a Ford Explorer, and I'm still not sure if I can put DD's Britax and 2 Chicco's in the second row. And just drive this until some 2011 models come out on other mini vans. When looking at the Sienna at the auto show in Houston I thought it would work for me, but the vehicle was still a prototype so I wasn't able to put my hands on it. Here is what I planned to do. Store one captain chair while putting DD RFing the other captain chair and put the twins in the 3rd row, but since the 3rd row doesn't have the LATCH this isn't going to work for me, although I could just use the seat belt. But once they are in convertible seats FF'ing I wouldn't be able tether anchor their seats. Does anyone know if the 2010 would work for me. Or possibly another minivan.

LeahsMommy

Someone on the JM car safety board said her dealership added top tether anchors to her vehicle after market. Has anyone tried this with Toyota?

Maedze

Someone on the JM car safety board said her dealership added top tether anchors to her vehicle after market. Has anyone tried this with Toyota?

As a general rule, the vehicle must be pre-2000 and not have any factory tether anchors to have them added after. One exception is the Honday Odyssey for 2001-2004.

LeahsMommy

Thanks. I'm just so irritated that the 2011 doesn't have 2 top tether anchors in the back. That is all I'm asking for. I can't believe that is something they would remove on a vehicle that is designed and intended to be used for larger families. Boo Toyota.

B

busymomof3

We purchased the new Sienna 11 a few weeks ago with the understanding from the dealer that we could put 3 carseats across the second row. Today, my husband took the three seats (Infant Carrier--for the soon to arrive baby), booster seat for our 4 year old, and Britax for our almost 2 year old. While the Carrier and Britax were installed no problem on the outter two seats, the booster DID NOT fit in the middle. It sits lower and doesn't balance correctly. Even if you were to put some type of foam to level it, you can't reach the buckle because it is so wedged in there, and the buckle is lower than the other two. There is no teather or latch hooks on that seat, so you can't really use it for the other two. We are TOTALLY disappointed because we feel mislead about the ability to put three across. I would return the car if I could. I will be stopping by the dealer tomorrow to share my frustration!!!
So, it looks like the 4 year old will have to sit in the 3rd row, which is exactly what I was trying to avoid. I would have never bought a minivan--especially for that kind of money if I knew this ahead of time!

DahliaRW

I finally looked at the new Sienna yesterday and am shocked as you are that there are only 3 LATCH and tethers in the vehicle. This is my situation and I would love any advice or tips on how I can choose a mini-van that will work for me. My DD is almost 14 months old and is RF'ing in a Britax Blvd. I am expecting twins in July and will have them RF'ing in Chicco Key Fits. I currently drive a Nissan Altima so there is no question that I need to get rid of this vehicle. DH drives a Ford Explorer, and I'm still not sure if I can put DD's Britax and 2 Chicco's in the second row. And just drive this until some 2011 models come out on other mini vans. When looking at the Sienna at the auto show in Houston I thought it would work for me, but the vehicle was still a prototype so I wasn't able to put my hands on it. Here is what I planned to do. Store one captain chair while putting DD RFing the other captain chair and put the twins in the 3rd row, but since the 3rd row doesn't have the LATCH this isn't going to work for me, although I could just use the seat belt. But once they are in convertible seats FF'ing I wouldn't be able tether anchor their seats. Does anyone know if the 2010 would work for me. Or possibly another minivan.

I know for sure the '09s have 2 full sets of latch in each row (maybe 3 in the middle row of the 8 seater version - but I don't have that one, but the '04s did at least). I think the 2010 is the same as the '09 for the most part. So if you can find a good shape used Sienna you'd save some money and have more latch points.

We purchased the new Sienna 11 a few weeks ago with the understanding from the dealer that we could put 3 carseats across the second row. Today, my husband took the three seats (Infant Carrier--for the soon to arrive baby), booster seat for our 4 year old, and Britax for our almost 2 year old. While the Carrier and Britax were installed no problem on the outter two seats, the booster DID NOT fit in the middle. It sits lower and doesn't balance correctly. Even if you were to put some type of foam to level it, you can't reach the buckle because it is so wedged in there, and the buckle is lower than the other two. There is no teather or latch hooks on that seat, so you can't really use it for the other two. We are TOTALLY disappointed because we feel mislead about the ability to put three across. I would return the car if I could. I will be stopping by the dealer tomorrow to share my frustration!!!
So, it looks like the 4 year old will have to sit in the 3rd row, which is exactly what I was trying to avoid. I would have never bought a minivan--especially for that kind of money if I knew this ahead of time!

So you couldn't do it with a seat belt installation in the middle?

livsmum

You didn't try the seats in the car BEFORE buying?

You'd be fine with any other year, apart from the 2011. Pre-2011, they had 3 true seats in the second row. The 2011 appears to have gone the same way as the 8-seater Odyssey with the middle seat (middle row) being pretty much useless.

D

Daddy_W

Thanks for all the info everybody!

My dealer said he called Toyota and was told that he could install a tether in the floor behind the 2nd row cupholder in the 2011 8-passenger. He made it sound like there is a spot for it, and that it's a Toyota-certified thing to do, not just a hack. Has anybody heard of this or had it done?

Momtobeof3

DaddyW - I don't know about adding a "tether" point to the 2011, but it conflicts with everything I've heard from Toyota so far. I've been told the MINI seat is NOT for CAR SEAT use. I'm not trying to yell at you, but trying to get the word out since as we all know the salespeople/dealers are not known for their car seat knowledge. I mean when I ask about Latch, about half the time they don't know what I'm talking about.

I have OFFICIAL word from Toyota from 3 different sources that in the 8 passenger Sienna you can put TWO seats in the second row and THREE seats in the third row. That is all.
First - I called Toyota Customer experience who stated that the "mini jump" seat is NOT for child seat use. They could not explain why this is not clearly stated in the owner's manual.
Second - Then the dealer we were working with told us that during training he asked the question and the design team rep. said that there had been so many customer comments about how hard it was to remove the old 8th seat that they decided to make a small stowable seat and loose a car seat position.
Third - I asked Iguida.com who contacted Toyota and a they said that the Sienna can hold 5 child seats, three positions with Latch/tether, and the two third row spots with seatbelts only. They said only a small percentage of sales were 8 psg models so it didn't seem important.

I think the data is skewed, since the 8 passenger version was only available on the CE/LE versions and to get leather you needed to go up to the XLE. It will still be skewed in 2011 since the FWD is 8 psg and the AWD is 7 psg, so you don't really have all the options that a consumer may want!

So "busymomof3" the dealer you worked with gave you a line of BS since that is what it sounds like, I would go to the general manager of the dealership and see what options they can offer you. Tell them that the Customer Experience center completely disagrees with the information provided to you by the sales person.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC